Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #1

1986 Champion

We recently purchased a 1986 Champion and have started refurbing just about everything. All the appliances work great so very little to worry about there. This weekend we tore up the carpeting and old vinyl throughout and are trying figure out if we want pergo or vinyl (any suggestions) The "captain" is very handy so he/we will do all the work. Demo-ed the shower area replacing with new shower walls tomorrow. Keeping the pan which is in excellent condition. Removed all main cabin furniture to be replaced with office desk on one side and sofa opposite side. Hope to have that area painted white this week. Shopping for corian this week to replace the pink countertops in kitchen and bathroom. Will be installing wainscoting in our little bathroom/ cam-ode area and will paint a beautiful deep turquoise (Behr "caribe") The "captain is building a double bed (replacing the twin beds in the rear) and i am painting the room forrest green with leather upolstered window valances. We are having so much fun and want to share with this forum. We are planning on leaving for an extended adventure mid May and hope to see our beautiful U S of A for at least 3 months - maybe more. We will travel with two kitties - 16 and 17 years young. We currently live in Northern California and will head South when we depart. Any thoughts or comments!
Lana, Bob, Koko and Mitty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1639922449.png
Views:	184
Size:	707.6 KB
ID:	9192   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-686691320.png
Views:	209
Size:	833.4 KB
ID:	9193  

Name:	image-719072866.png
Views:	155
Size:	814.7 KB
ID:	9194   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2869321683.png
Views:	182
Size:	910.1 KB
ID:	9195  

LanaGhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard

You've taken on quite a project. I look forward to watching your progress. Keep in mind that corian is very heavy. There's a reason you normally only see it on the bigger/heavier rigs. It's not just the cost difference.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions, should you hit a road block. There's a deep well of experience here. Someone's been down that road before.

Good luck, and keep the photo documentation coming!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
And the work begins, haha What state are you located in. If your in Indiana or Ohio I know where you can get parts cheap. Welcome to IRV2!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #4

keep the pictures coming as you dig in....good luck and have fun. look forward to seeing your progress
jimzz2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #5

Don't use self-stick flooring as I, along with another member here have had problem with it lifting up.
As was mentioned some consideration should be given to the weight of replacement materials.
Enjoy your project and keep posting.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Nice looking rig, Lana

Funny how different manufacturers use the same exterior fiberglass parts.. I was looking at mine the other day and noticed that the front cap had space for turn signals on either side of the headlamps, but had never actually seen it before... I see that yours are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdale View Post
And the work begins, haha What state are you located in. If your in Indiana or Ohio I know where you can get parts cheap. Welcome to IRV2!!!
And where would that be, pray tell?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #7

Wanted to check in with an update on our progress. Before and after pictures of the bathroom. After much thought we will not replace countertops. Bought a product by Rustoleum that is a paint on coating for Formica tops. Anyone have any experience with this? Plan on applying it this weekend, I'll give feedback. Still up in the air regarding flooring. Found a product called "flexitec" in a black/white check pattern. Anyone have any comments? Also considering cork! Bob will is making a full sized bed in the back and giving us lots of storage underneath. Pics to follow soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-148316269.png
Views:	185
Size:	681.3 KB
ID:	9495   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1850296172.png
Views:	169
Size:	684.3 KB
ID:	9496  

Old 04-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #8

P.S. How do I add a photo to my profile (avatar)?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I have always wanted to try that Rustoleum product.. let us know how it does.

The main thing NOT to use in a MH is 'peel-n-stick' tiles.. they will pop. Straight vinyl sheet or snap together laminate seem to be the best choices.

Like that blue/wainscot combo.. looks really good.

Avatar; go to 'User CP' (upper left of this page) > Edit Avatar (on left hand side, 6th link down)
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
The main thing NOT to use in a MH is 'peel-n-stick' tiles.. they will pop. Straight vinyl sheet or snap together laminate seem to be the best choices.
Keep us posted on your progress!

I'm not disagreeing with the basic concern about 'peel-n-stick- tiles; however, we used that in our bathroom area of our 99 National Class A and it seemed to work great. Albeit, I painted the subfloor with a coating material that was designed to seal and provide a smooth underlayment surface. All I can say is that it was holding up good when we sold earlier this year.

Best of everything in your remodel....and keep the post and photos coming.
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #11

By the way, I'm in San Francisco for the next few months so if you come 'south' to this area give a yell.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #12

@dunlapml, I'm in Marin - just across the Golden Gate from San Francisco. We're heading out Mid May, so maybe we can get together. Have you ever been across the bridge. There are many things to see and do over here.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaGhil View Post
@dunlapml, I'm in Marin - just across the Golden Gate from San Francisco. We're heading out Mid May, so maybe we can get together. Have you ever been across the bridge. There are many things to see and do over here.
Message me. My wife will be out her in a couple of weeks and where going to the wine country via the GG bridge. Love to know of the sights to see in the area. Actually I've been putting off going that direction on my own since I'd like to share the experience.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #14

work in progress 86 Champion

Checking in after a very productive weekend working on "Gigante" (we decided to name our MH after our beloved SF Giants), Bob finished the bed in the back. This originally had twin beds and since we still like to cuddle Bob built a double bed with lots of storage underneath as well as a hidden shoe department (he knows how to please me) at the foot of the bed. photos to follow tomorrow. I am so happy with the "stainless steel" contact paper that I put on the refrigerator. This was purchased online at Home Trends. (See before and after) It was easy to install and looks like a million! It is difficult to capture because it reflects like a mirror but trust me, it was worth every penny of the $20 I spent!!! Talk to you tomorrow.
Lana and Bob
Attached Images