Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #1

1987 Gulfstream Sunsport sat for 2 years....FIRST CAMPING TRIP

Hi,

I FINALLY was able to take our first trip in our "new" motorhome. What was supposed to be a 2 hour drive turned into a 4 1/2 marathon because of 4th of July traffic but it handled it like a champ. We got a pinhole leak on the cold water line that we patched no problem, and it seemed to be pulling to the right when breaking? Does anyone know what causes that? All in all for being 30 years old it worked out amazing!!! Can't wait to take her out again next month!!! What do people do to upgrade the interiors any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160705_104954_resized.jpg
Views:	1031
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	132221

Attachment 132222
clincoln007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clincoln007 View Post
. . . it seemed to be pulling to the right when breaking? Does anyone know what causes that? All in all for being 30 years old . . .
I'll just address the braking issue and you unknowingly gave the answer. It is 30 years old and more critical, it sat for 2 years. It doesn't matter how many miles it has on it, old and extended sitting means the brakes need a FULL servicing. If it were my motorhome, I would replace everything that moves and/or has rubber components. Calipers, pads, rubber hoses and master cylinder. At a bare minimum you'll want to replace the front calipers and flush fresh brake fluid thru the entire system. Remember, you have around 12,000 pounds of rolling thunder and brakes designed for a 1 ton pickup truck. Be safe my friend and you will have many more happy adventures. Bad brakes make for UNhappy adventures.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Chevy has a problem with the rubber hoses failing on the brake system. (After many years of service.) The hose swells and because there is a large clamp over the hose it can't expand outward it swells inward and when you let off the brake the pressure stays on the caliper and the brake stays on. If your motorhome pulls after you let off the brake, that is the problem.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #4

Thanks, there were all new brake lines, new pads and new master cylinder put in it 2 years ago when they originally were going to sell it, but then no one bought it so they waited until this spring to sell it. I'm going to check the rubber brake hoses. I have fixed brakes on a car about 1000 times, never on anything this big though. It seems when there is pressure on the brake it pulls to the right but without pressure it drives fine, It stops ok? I'm going to check everything this weekend I'm not going anywhere again until the 2nd week of August. I brought it to a shop and had the transmission pan gasket replaced and got an inspection sticker, the guy said he checked everything out and never mentioned anything about the breaks. It has 44000 miles on it.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #5

If it pulls to the right would that be caused by the left or right brake?
Old 07-07-2016, 05:36 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Pulling to the right could mean the left caliper isn't working. That would mean that the caliper is frozen and the pistons are not moving. Another thing could be that the brake pads are frozen, and not able to move. They work the same as that on a smaller vehicle, just things are physically bigger.
Hope that this helps you,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:00 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice looking rig! I love the older ones and the factor that you guys take them on and clean them up.

Have you looked on the "Owner's Forum" at the Gulfstream group? Might get some insite there.

I believe the inside upgrade is kind of like working on your home. Floor replacing is similar, cabinets, bathroom, walls a bit different if curved. There are a few here who do some amazing work. Check out the "Total Rebuild" thread and it may give you some ideas on "how to". You don't have a slide so it should be easier to replace the flooring.

Enjoy your MH
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, gulfstream