Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #15

Great. Hankook tires it is.

As far as the batteries go, do I still need a starting battery if I go with 6v golf cart batteries?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzscorp View Post
Great. Hankook tires it is.

As far as the batteries go, do I still need a starting battery if I go with 6v golf cart batteries?
The reason for having a separate battery as a starting battery is to ensure that you don't run the house batteries down and cannot start the engine. There is usually some connection between the house and starting batteries so that you can charge the house batteries while driving down the road, or jump start the starting battery from the house batteries.

alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Battery Question: Ok so far I've looked on the web for the costco batteries and called our local store, but they don't sell 6v Golf Cart batteries so Sam's batteries it will be. From what I've read, I can't justify spending an extra $60 per battery for the Trojan T105. One dumb question though, do I also need a starting battery even thought I'm replacing the three current batteries with four 6v wired in series?

MICD: which Hankook tire did you get?

Here is a picture of the rig as it sits now...I know it looks rough but the transformation has only just begun!
It looks like your motor home is the exact same as my 1984 Chieftain. Out of the three batteries that you have, one of there batteries should be a starting battery and the remaining two are your house batteries. I may be wrong, but I think that's the way it is set up.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Hello;

I plan on converting the two twin beds in the rear into one large King size bed. Oh and on suggestions of the forum a new showergenics shower head.
We had a queen in the back of our when we purchased it and the rear sliding door could barely close, so we remove it and changed it back to a full bed like it came with originally. This allowed the bedroom door to operate freely and gave us room to walk around the bed, even with the door closed.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #19

We've been looking for tires for ours as well. Our came with a 7.5R16, but we are going to switch to a 215/85R16. These are about a 1/2" smaller in diameter, but since our speedo is shows that we are going about 5mph slower than our GPS shows us going this should correct it. Also we were first told to do a 235/85R16 which is taller, but they are also wide and run the risk of the sidewalls rubbing on the duals. As for using a 14 ply tire, that is overkill and the tire will be heavier which adds to your un-sprung weight. I don't know if it's possible, but it will probably reduce your city mileage bringing that extra weight up to speed. IMHO.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
For the record: Sam's Club 6v batteries and Hankook tires- happy with all of them.
****3 recommendations-
1) get a battery watering system if your house battery bank is at all difficult to get to- regular maintenance is CRITICAL to get maximum life out of your expensive batteries.

2) Upgrade your converter to a 3-stage. The OEM single stage converter you have is junk, and you run a real risk of overcharging and killing your expensive new batteries.

3) Get a Trik-L-Start to keep your starting battery charged no matter where or how you camp. They are now installing these as original equipment in new rigs.

We also replaced our carpet with the vinyl planks, not Allure, but a similar product: Armstong Clic-LocK from Lowes. It really DOES look like wood, super easy to install (cuts with a razor-knife, or score-&-snap) lighter in weight than the carpet and pad, waterproof.

Great product in every respect.

I seriously doubt you'll have room for a king bed, probably not even a real queen (RV queens and kings are 4 to 6 inches shorter than conventional). Consider a full size mattress- it get VERY old VERY quickly trying to slither sideways around a too-large bed, much less the horror of making them every morning. Retrieving something dropped next to our queen bed involves some real acrobatics, due to the very limited space there. If we were keeping this rig, we personally would definitely go for a smaller mattress

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
For the record: Sam's Club 6v batteries and Hankook tires- happy with all of them.

I seriously doubt you'll have room for a king bed, probably not even a real queen (RV queens and kings are 4 to 6 inches shorter than conventional). Consider a full size mattress- it get VERY old VERY quickly trying to slither sideways around a too-large bed, much less the horror of making them every morning. Retrieving something dropped next to our queen bed involves some real acrobatics, due to the very limited space there. If we were keeping this rig, we personally would definitely go for a smaller mattress
I've gotten mixed suggestions on the amount of ply for the tires. Senior Chief, which tire did you go with. I believe we have similar MH's. Dealer recommends Hankook F19. From the research that I've been doing (all last week), I need at least a tire with a rating for 2500 lbs.

Thank you for the suggestions on the batteries, We were considering getting a converter as well. Now it's a definite!

As far as the bed goes, I have two twin beds currently in the rear. When I measured the space it's 91"x78". I will remeasure and double check the sizes of the King.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
We've been looking for tires for ours as well. Our came with a 7.5R16, but we are going to switch to a 215/85R16. These are about a 1/2" smaller in diameter, but since our speedo is shows that we are going about 5mph slower than our GPS shows us going this should correct it. Also we were first told to do a 235/85R16 which is taller, but they are also wide and run the risk of the sidewalls rubbing on the duals. As for using a 14 ply tire, that is overkill and the tire will be heavier which adds to your un-sprung weight. I don't know if it's possible, but it will probably reduce your city mileage bringing that extra weight up to speed. IMHO.

At first, we were told the same to swap out the 7.50 for the 235/85 R16 but then realized that there would be a problem with the duals and the weight ratio per tire. So we've opted to stay with the 7.50. Just not sure which tire yet...we are leaning real heavy on the Hankooks but Sumitomo is our other choice. We will be pulling the trigger next week for 7 of them (changing out the spare as well.)

The other area in which we continue to see mixed opinions is for the flooring. Allure has horrible reviews but the new Ultra seems to be a better choice. I actually have spare hardwood at home that I installed in a home but I'm concerned with the weight and any moisture installing them in the MH. We will be looking into the vinyl plank flooring from Lowe's at Senior Chief's recommendations today. And as far as laminate flooring goes, there are mixed reviews on them as well. Either they absolutely hate it or they love it.

I may look into crown molding to place over the new mini-blinds as valances, just have to figure out how to mount it.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzscorp

At first, we were told the same to swap out the 7.50 for the 235/85 R16 but then realized that there would be a problem with the duals and the weight ratio per tire. So we've opted to stay with the 7.50. Just not sure which tire yet...we are leaning real heavy on the Hankooks but Sumitomo is our other choice. We will be pulling the trigger next week for 7 of them (changing out the spare as well.)

The other area in which we continue to see mixed opinions is for the flooring. Allure has horrible reviews but the new Ultra seems to be a better choice. I actually have spare hardwood at home that I installed in a home but I'm concerned with the weight and any moisture installing them in the MH. We will be looking into the vinyl plank flooring from Lowe's at Senior Chief's recommendations today. And as far as laminate flooring goes, there are mixed reviews on them as well. Either they absolutely hate it or they love it.

I may look into crown molding to place over the new mini-blinds as valances, just have to figure out how to mount it.
I wanted to try and find 7.50R16 tires for our motor home too. Everyplace I called was going to have to order them and if they did have them they were expensive compared to the alternative. My biggest concern is that I want to find a tire that is readily available just in case I need to purchase one while on the road.

For the weight of the flooring you can calculate your square footage that you will be covering. Go to the home improvement store and take a box over to the bathroom scales and weigh it. After that divide the weight by the square footage listed on the box. You can then take that number and multiply it by the square footage you will be covering. That will give you the total weight you will be adding. Keep in mind you will be removing 35-40 lbs of carpet and pad. As for moisture we have had our floor in for just under two years with no issues at all. I've even used the motor home on a couple of winter trips where it was exposed to high humidity and still no issues.

To make valances out of crown is pretty easy. At you home improvement store you can get a how to book that describes it step by step. We replaced all are valances with one's that I made from crown moulding. I think it looks much better than the original valances. We also replaced our pull down shades with mini blinds. I like them a lot better because we can control the amount of incoming light and it's direction.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzscorp

I was quoted $1900 out the door.
I was quoted $1300 out the door for seven 215/85R16 and $1250 for seven 235/85R16 (the 215's are more because they are not as common as the 235's). If I'm not mistaken both our motor homes originally came with 7.5R16 tires that were a load range D. The tires that I was quoted on are a load range E which still ups your load capacity as far as the tires go, but that does not allow you to haul more weight. The only weight that you would concern yourself with as far as towing and your tires load range is your tongue weight which is probably very minimal. A tire with a load range G rating is a huge overkill for you motor home. You would be better off investing that money into your remodeling projects. $600-$650 can go a long way. You can also double check your wheels for a maximum load capacity. It will be stamped directly on the rim somewhere.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #25

Here is an update to the remodel so far:

As I was removing the old exhaust vents and plumbing vents that were brittle and broken, I was curious to the piece of aluminum that was located near my bathroom vent. After removing the sheet of aluminum, I discovered that this unit previously had a skylight and it may have been the reason why my bathroom ceiling has rotted from water damage.

Well that is when I decided to take the advise from many in this forum to start the repairs from the top and work my way down to the bottom. I have now removed all the vents and cleaned all the old sealants and glue from all the openings. I will seal all the seams and coat the roof then return to the projects inside the coach. I tried finding a replacement skylight from some of the sites that I have seen on other forums here but none have the size I need. I'm in the process of contacting Winnebago to get a price on the original. I hope I can stay within budget to get all three pieces (Outer, inner and trim). Has anyone had any experience with using a piece of lexan and maybe adding a piece of car tint for an inexpensive alternative?
Pictures of the roof now before I seal on Friday.

I will also be replacing the roof mount A/C on friday with a Coleman Mach III cool and heat to complete the roof project.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you tried an RV salvage yard for your skylight? We like Colaws, but there are plenty of other places as well.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Here is an update to the remodel so far:

As I was removing the old exhaust vents and plumbing vents that were brittle and broken, I was curious to the piece of aluminum that was located near my bathroom vent. After removing the sheet of aluminum, I discovered that this unit previously had a skylight and it may have been the reason why my bathroom ceiling has rotted from water damage.

Well that is when I decided to take the advise from many in this forum to start the repairs from the top and work my way down to the bottom. I have now removed all the vents and cleaned all the old sealants and glue from all the openings. I will seal all the seams and coat the roof then return to the projects inside the coach. I tried finding a replacement skylight from some of the sites that I have seen on other forums here but none have the size I need. I'm in the process of contacting Winnebago to get a price on the original. I hope I can stay within budget to get all three pieces (Outer, inner and trim). Has anyone had any experience with using a piece of lexan and maybe adding a piece of car tint for an inexpensive alternative?
Pictures of the roof now before I seal on Friday.

I will also be replacing the roof mount A/C on friday with a Coleman Mach III cool and heat to complete the roof project.

I would love to see some more pics of your MH. I have an 86 Itasca that's just like yours. We just bought ours in February. First trip out revealed some issues that needed addressing. much like u the wife didn't like that much. My issues were of the overheating nature so I started in the engine bay. Pretty much throwing out everything on the front of the motor and replacing new. I also live very near Atlanta so any resources you've found for parts could be useful to me. I will attach some pics of my MH and my projects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-723916176.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	36175   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2273234790.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	485.6 KB
ID:	36176  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1460268741.jpg