Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #1

1987 Itasca Sunflyer 27RT Remodel/Upgrade

Hello;

We own a 1987 Itasca Sunflyer 27Rt. I believe it is on a P30 Chassis and it has a 454 with 55, 000 miles on it. I bought it almost two years ago and have only used it a couple of times. We I took it out, I had some minor issues and it did not sit well with the wife! So now I am going to invest the money and time to get the MH running correctly to enjoy plenty of happy motoring. We are a fairly young couple with lots of kids who enjoy the out doors, I have done a fair amount of reading here on the forum the last three days on the topics I need help with, so here is the plan;

First I have called a couple of places here local to Georgia and got quotes on a new set of tires (7 including the spare). They both have given me only two options due to the tire size I need and the load weight required. It's either a 14 ply Hankook or Sumitomo? Which is the better tire? I know one is Korean and the other Japanese so please don't give me that answer. They are both similar in price. I will also be changing out the brakes on the MH.

Second I need to address the battery bank in the unit. It has three batteries currently but all of them are different brands and sizes. Obviously the previous owner did not do his research before buying the batteries. Nonetheless, I gather I will go with the four 6v golfcart batteries. I have printed some schematics on other threads to help me with this portion. Do I go with Trojan T-105's or do I buy Sam's Club Duracell brand?

I am planning on changing out the A/C unit and going with something newer and more reliable. Any brands I should be looking for? I will also chang out the three roof vents and install new Fan-Tastic vents with the fan feature for circulation. I plan on buying the MaxxAir II covers for them as well. Any comments or suggestions on these?

I would like to remove the original carpet and go with either Laminate or Vinyl. My concern with laminate is the extra weight and tolerance to the vibration of the MH. Does anyone have any experience with either?

Finally I will deal with the cosmetics; new shades, curtains, upholstering of the dinette, LED lighting throughout and new bedding. I plan on converting the two twin beds in the rear into one large King size bed. Oh and on suggestions of the forum a new showergenics shower head.

I know I have a lot on my plate but my timeline is 7 weeks. That's when we have our back to school camping trip scheduled in central florida. i am pretty handy and plan on doing most of the repairs/upgrades myself. any comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And like I stated earlier, I bought the MH for next to nothing so I don't mind investing money into it. I don't have any plans on selling and I know I will never get my money back. That said even with the budget I have now I still would break even with all these upgrades. Thanks! I will try and post before and after pics...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Tires: I have read positive reviews on both brands. Never personally used either. Can't recall reading anything bad about either brand.

Batteries: I have recently replaced the original Trojan 105's in my coach with Costco's golf cart batteries, and have had good results. They were about $70 each. I can recommend them as good replacements for the costlier Trojans. That having been said, the Trojans are the standard by which others are judged, and so if money is no object, by all means go with the best.

Flooring: I recently installed Allure vinyl planks in an apartment I built. Others have had great success installing it in their motorhomes (search the forum for Allure). It's economical, goes down easy, and is waterproof once installed. Looks just like wood.

Sounds like a fun project, I look forward to following your progress.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #3

14 ply on a 27 foot something does not sound right my 28 foot weighs 7500 rear it had 8 ply I went with 10 what size tire 16 in.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #4

Yes they are 16 inch tires. It currently has 14 ply tires on it. The dealer said I have to factor in the weight of towing as well. Where would I go to weigh the unit? Is there a cost involved?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #5

Here I use the city scales as for what you are towing only the tongue weight comes into play sit in your drivers seat look over your left shoulder there should be a sticker with front and rear weights on it. That will get you in the ball park I bet you well under 7500
Old 06-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #6

The plaque reads:

is this dry?
Old 06-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have always weighed my rigs at farm scales, which are free and open 24 hours in Oregon, but you may be too urban (close to Atlanta).

For pay scales do a search on Google for "Georgia weight scales"
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzscorp View Post
The plaque reads:

is this dry?
The GAWR describes the maximum allowed weight on the front and rear axles, thus your GVWR is the sum of those two: 11,380 lbs.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #9

So yours is as mine each tire would be under 2000 lbs I bought 8 ply bf Goodrich at Sam' s for front Chinese 10 ply for rear for now
Old 06-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
So yours is as mine each tire would be under 2000 lbs I bought 8 ply bf Goodrich at Sam' s for front Chinese 10 ply for rear for now
I like to buy all the tires the same, as well as spare. That means I can use them in any position.

For Dadzscorp's rig I would get tires with at least a 2,500 lb weight rating.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #11

i agree but im single with 3 grandkids living with me thats why i said for now 14 ply would be overkill
Old 06-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #12

What we did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzscorp View Post
First I have called a couple of places here local to Georgia and got quotes on a new set of tires (7 including the spare). They both have given me only two options due to the tire size I need and the load weight required. It's either a 14 ply Hankook or Sumitomo? Which is the better tire?

Do I go with Trojan T-105's or do I buy Sam's Club Duracell brand?

I am planning on changing out the A/C unit and going with something newer and more reliable. Any brands I should be looking for?

I will also change out the three roof vents and install new Fan-Tastic vents with the fan feature for circulation.

I plan on buying the MaxxAir II covers for them as well. Any comments or suggestions on these?

I would like to remove the original carpet and go with either Laminate or Vinyl. My concern with laminate is the extra weight and tolerance to the vibration of the MH. Does anyone have any experience with either?

Finally I will deal with the cosmetics; new shades, curtains, upholstering of the dinette, LED lighting throughout and new bedding. I plan on converting the two twin beds in the rear into one large King size bed.

Oh and on suggestions of the forum a new oxygenics shower head.
We have a '94 Winnebago brave with 6x,xxx miles on a p30 chasis with 454 engine. We've done lots of what you are planning to do.

Here is our choices and our impressions of them. Not to say the other choice is bad. Just that this is our experience.

Tires. We did Hankook 3 yrs ago. Very happy with them.

Batteries. We did Costco. Very happy with both the batteries and the warranty when we run them down accidentally and ruin them.

Previous owner bought a new roof AC. Works great. Sorry I don't know the brand as it is at the storage lot.

We installed 2 fantastic fans. The temperature operated bi-directional one in the bedroom (had a clear see-through cover) and the exhaust only in the bathroom (had an opaque cover). We eventually swapped the covers to put the opaque in the bedroom to make it dark at night and the see-through in the bathroom so there was some light for night time visits. I think you might want to consider only 2 fans and leave one a regular vent. The fans work well but they do take up alot of the open space of the vent and we noticed that when the fans are not turned on we don't get as much air circulation as we used to with the plain original vents. That being said having a fan to exhaust in the bedroom when we leave the dogs in on cool days gives us peace of mind that they are getting some air circulation. We can pull in air anywhere by opening the windows near the area we want the air to come in from so I thinking having 3 fans would be overkill.

Any vent cover you put on over the vents is wonderful. We have MaxAir (the original) and the cheaper Ramble one from Camping World. They both reduce the fan airflow quite a bit but it still gets the humidity out when we need it to. We don't have the new UltraBreeze by Fantastic Fan from Camping World and maybe that has better air flow. I read it doesn't have a bug screen so that maybe a large part of why the airflow is better. You can probably buy the cheaper ones and pop the bug screens out to improve airflow.

We also installed the oxygenics shower head. No real difference that I can tell for us. Maybe it is saving water. That is a hard thing to measure. The original sprayer had an on/off switch which was nice. When I compared these two with a Peerless water conserving shower sprayer that I had at the house the Peerless amplified the water pressure much more than the oxygenics. A better improvement for us was to add another hose extension to the outdoor sprayer. Now when we need to use it we can take it around the back of the rig so we don't get a water puddle right near the entrance door to the rig.

Some things you might want to consider.
- A power surge protector. We put in a Progressive Industries hardwired system to protect the electronics from erratic campground power.
- Eternabonding your roof seams to avoid leaks.
- Replacing your LP detector. It has probably aged out.
- Ditto for your smoke and CO detectors. They have likely aged out also. We got the combo units for redundancy and additional safety.
- Adding fire extinguishers. We put one behind the drivers chair and one in the bedroom.
- A tire pressure monitor system. This allows you to check the pressure without crawling around in the dirt before taking off. We got the TST 507 system and have been happy with it.
- A back-up camera if you don't have one. We got ours from Costco for a reasonable price.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #13

Battery Question: Ok so far I've looked on the web for the costco batteries and called our local store, but they don't sell 6v Golf Cart batteries so Sam's batteries it will be. From what I've read, I can't justify spending an extra $60 per battery for the Trojan T105. One dumb question though, do I also need a starting battery even thought I'm replacing the three current batteries with four 6v wired in series?

MICD: which Hankook tire did you get?

Here is a picture of the rig as it sits now...I know it looks rough but the transformation has only just begun!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #14

AH11

Hi,

We got the Hankook AH11s because they came in the 8R19.5 size. I wanted something with good reviews and that was considered an all season tire as I'd read of people hydroplaning during heavy rainstorms with the highway tires. Also we go to the national forest alot and drive on dirt roads. I wanted something that would help us not get stuck in the mud. For our size it came down to a Bridgestone M724 and the Hankook. Hankook was in stock in our size so that is what we went with. Have been happy with them even though my husband thinks the RV is his corvette some times. Bridgestone also had a highway tire in our size, the R187. It was described as a highway summer tire. And it was a bit cheaper. But we felt more comfortable with an all-season.

For what it is worth I couldn't find a single negative review of Hankook when I did my research 3 years ago and haven't read anything negative since.

micd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca