Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #1

1987 Newmar Kountry Aire Class C

Here is our 1987 Kountry Aire C class. We are the 4th owner, all are known. Always stored in a heated building; for most of her life she was owned by a man who owned and operated an auto/truck garage. She has been well maintained..but not a "hanger queen"...was used weekly for most of her life. Ford 460/carburated/3 speed auto. 4K Onan gen set. We love the tag axle for its ride. New Bridgestone tires all around..quiet and smooth. Interior was updated with new carpet, new fridge, moved the water holding tank to under the fridge and a Flexsteel sofa/bed in place of eating area in 2008. Interior paint updated to a neutral white. We use her for college tailgates and weekend camping trips to CG within 150 or so. This fall we plan on a trip to see leaves in Southern Indiana's Brown County.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0904001420a.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	5456   Click image for larger version

Name:	0910001039.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	5457  

Name:	0902001855.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	5458  
Kountry87Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm no expert on Class C rigs but it looks like they didn't open the cab roof to join the coach body - which usually turns into a leak fest. If so outstanding!
She looks great!!

Peter
in Denver
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #3

Thanks Peter for your comments. So far..no leaks..which is surprising since most all do. As said..well cared for and we try to stay on top of any issues.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
jsl

1987 KountryAire Class C

I also live in NE Indiana and own a 1987 KountryAire that is a duplicate to yours. You very seldom see these coaches and they were so well made there has to be a lot of them still on the road. We love ours.
jsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome both of you Don & Danelle, jsl to irv2.
Congrats on your Newmar's sure look like its just come off showroom floor.
What do you have for manifolds were they changed I use to have problems on my 460 Cruise Air coach?
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl View Post
I also live in NE Indiana and own a 1987 KountryAire that is a duplicate to yours. You very seldom see these coaches and they were so well made there has to be a lot of them still on the road. We love ours.
How neat! I agree Newmar made these very well. Very solid coach. I've seen only a very few on the road still. Perhaps their original cost was high for the Class C family market back then so not a bunch were made. I see a few more of this era Class A units..and they are as awesome. This unit fits our needs perfectly, I can't think of anything we would change.
We never fail to get positive comments when we camp on it's condition. There are some issues I am addressing..but issues are expected with any RV ownership..part of the charm is dealing with them...and talking about them with others is part of the fraternity rights, eh?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Welcome both of you Don & Danelle, jsl to irv2.
Congrats on your Newmar's sure look like its just come off showroom floor.
What do you have for manifolds were they changed I use to have problems on my 460 Cruise Air coach?
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
To my knowledge the manifolds are original. I am the 4th owner and while I know who the other 3 were...don't know what each may have done along the line. I've seen here and other 460 blogs of manifold issues. What were your issues?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #8
jsl

1987 KountryAire Class C

We had to drop our fuel tank to replace a leaking fill tube. Since we had the tank down, the fuel pump was replaced as well. A replacement fill tube was difficult to find since Ford wanted over $400 for the tube alone. We did find one and installed it and have had no further fuel leaks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0312.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	5852  
jsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:14 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The 460 was on a John Deer chassis and had nothing but problems.
Once manifolds heated up it would sound like a shooting gallery popping of bolts out of block.
Had them replaced and a head at one time than the big block replaced when tech messed up getting distributer shaft miss aliened and no oil was pumped causing motor to freeze up.
Had another 460 and had Banks system installed with no problems.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl View Post
We had to drop our fuel tank to replace a leaking fill tube. Since we had the tank down, the fuel pump was replaced as well. A replacement fill tube was difficult to find since Ford wanted over $400 for the tube alone. We did find one and installed it and have had no further fuel leaks.
WOW! That is a twin to ours! Very cool. Looks in beautiful condition too!
I am very interested in your fill tube repair as I am facing same issue now.
I would love to know the details of the fix too..like where a replacement was found..degree of difficulty..etc.
I will send you a private message re contact.

Thanks for posting a pic of your unit!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
The 460 was on a John Deer chassis and had nothing but problems.
Once manifolds heated up it would sound like a shooting gallery popping of bolts out of block.
Had them replaced and a head at one time than the big block replaced when tech messed up getting distributer shaft miss aliened and no oil was pumped causing motor to freeze up.
Had another 460 and had Banks system installed with no problems.
Sounds like your first 460 was a bad experience, sure hope the tech took care of the ruined motor!
I hear /read many Rv'ers install the Banks system; seems all for performance/mileage improvements. From what I've read, an expensive addition whose ROI is positive only for units who cover high annual miles.