Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #1
Angry 1988 110 and 12v Power problems.

1988 Pace Arrow on a 1987 P30 Chassis. Questions are about the Coach Power, Shore Power, 12v power, Generator.

Power Inverter: Inteli Power 9100, Model PD9160A.
Input: 105 - 130 VAC, 60Hz, 1000 Watts
Output: 13.6 VDC, 60 Amp (Includes Charging and Load)

The Inverter has a 110v Plug in on it.

When I plug into shore power it does not charge the coach batteries. Also I cannot start or turn over the generator. The coach batteries will go dead.

I pulled off the distribution panel and found the 12v Charging unplugged and disconnected.

I do not know if the inverter is good. Can I plug the inverter into my house and put a multi-meter on it and see if it has 12v output?

What I found: A bare Solid copper ground wire, Green wire (Ground), White wire. To begin with they took the Green wire and attached it to the solid copper ground wire. White wire capped off. 3 Red wires together (12 Positive?).

I do have installation paper work. It says not to connect the output ground to the input ground.

Is the solid bare copper wire the input ground? Red wires (12v Positive)? White wires not sure, to me they would be 110v Hot. Green wire to me is Ground to the 110v outlets and such.

Ground: Source = Bare copper wire? Output = Green wire?
White: ???
Red Output Positive?

What would I connect to the Inverter?

Help Please and Thank you in Advance

AtekorS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
I plugged it to my house and the fan did not come on and there was no reading at the outputs.

I would like to know how it should be wired.

I am shopping for another, it may be a while. I was looking at the PD9260 which has the charge wizard built in.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:30 AM   #3

You are working on the CONVERTER. The inverter (if you have one) uses 12V DC to make 120V AC.

It should have shown some voltage at the output when it was powered up.
The fan won't run unless it is needed.

The new PD 9260 will come with connection instructions.

F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #4
There may be output fuses.

When you checked for a "DC" output were the batteries still hooked up? If so, try it again with nothing hooked up.

If you've done all this than you will likely need a new converter.....just as you suspected.
1998 Tioga Class C
400 amp/hrs solar, Trimetric
Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
I found the unit behind the panel unplugged and disconnected. I believe it is an inverter. Supplies power to the Coach batteries when plugged in or the generator running.

When I tested I had it in the house, so nothing was connected. Plugged it in, put the amp meter on it, nothing.

There are 3 25 amp fuses, all are good.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
an inverter takes 12 volts from your batteries and turns it into 110 volts ac. you are working on the converter that takes 110 volts from the generator or from plugging the rv to shore power and makes 12 volts dc and also charges the batteries. mine did not work at all when i got it so i started searching online. there is a common prob with it . it was a resistor that was bad. just had to use a multimeter to test for continuity. it was an easy fix. the resistor looked exactly like a balest resistor like the older chrysler/dodge cars had for the ignition ...if you know what they looked like. think i spent less then 10 bucks to fix it.

demon1018 is offline   Reply With Quote

ems, power, problems