Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
There is also the "Amish ice box" that can replace the Dometic-they are reputed to be of better quality. Or you can try ebay as a lot of used rv parts do show up there. Just stay away from the Dometic 1200 series as they are TROUBLE.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #16

have found that my fridge has bitten the dust; no longer cooling, strong ammonia smell, yellow residue around some parts outside trap door area etc. have decided to replace with a residential unit. i am now moving toward making the change but need some help here. (why res unit? 275.00 for less weight more space, easier for me to do, can park on a hill and 'chill', unit selected is rel low power and will work for me boondocking. etc.)

1) have been running fans, open fridge and cupboard doors, windows, outside trap door etc for 4 days now and it still smells of ammonia. how long does this smell continue? after 4 days of venting, is there still a hazard?

2) this is an 88 allegro 31ft basement model. looking for a shutoff valve for the fridge. all i see are lines for all gas appliances tied together under the coach by one manifold, and one pipe running from there to the propane tank. only valve i see is the main one just before the regulator. does this sound right? no individual shutoffs? if this is really the case, what to do about terminating the gas line for just the fridge?

3) easy to see the 12vdc line(s) inside the trap door outside, but do not see the 120vac lines. are they outside or inside? where? i expect to have to connect that line to a new outlet box for the new fridge. hope it was wired for 15 or 20 amps.

4) once fridge is removed, is there anything i need to do to it for safety, anything to seal off?

5) even with unit switched off, the horizontal strip between doors (part of frame that doors close against) still remains hot. why?

thanks for your help!
am

Old 04-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If you are going to look for a good used one this chart shows what units replace which other units of the same size

http://www.dometic.com/c17faeab-a5a2...17a7cff0.fodoc
Old 04-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #18

well, got enough ideas to crack it wide open, and that's what i did today. had a lot less trouble than i had anticipated. actually, removing the dead duck was fairly easy, even for just one old guy on both ends. two screws holding it down at the back, unplugged everything, put a rolly thing at the front and pushed, pulled and yanked until it popped out onto the cart. rolled it out of the way. need to cap the gas line, maybe put a coat of kilz in the hole, then make final decide on the replacement.

just random thoughts; put a home/window a/c on the bottom, aiming the out-blow at the access trap door, build a deck above it and add a small, under counter fridge on top. 4 or 5 cu ft is all i need at the moment, i have the a/c, so my outlay would be <250.00 to be cool and still have lunch out in the boonies! all on batteries?

why? it's going to be a hot summer here in s.fla, and i hate the sound of a genny ruining the natural peace and quiet out in the woods. my roofers need the genny, but my bitty window unit draws only about 4a, so it's right for batteries, and maybe just enough to cool the bedroom while i watch a flick or read a book.

just a thought.
am
Old 04-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #19

Turn off propane at main tank. Light stove to help purge LP from lines (will go out in a short bit). Turn off stove. Disconnect hose at Fridge (may be some residule gas in line so ventilate well). Cap off end of hose. Turn gas back on and check for leaks. Turn stove on to purge air from lines. Will take about 30 seconds to a minute to purge air before the burner can be lit. Hot water heater and furnace will require many tries to get them to light as the air has to be purged from thier lines also.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #20

4 amps AC is 120*4 = 480 watts.
On a DC/AC inverter thats (480/12) * 1.1 = 44 amps DC.
44 amps will drain your batteries rather quickly.

Oh, compressor start amps will be around 100 amps DC

Now if you run an Apartment style fridge it pulls about 1 amp AC or roughly 11 amps DC.
Still upwards of 70 amps DC for start.

You do have to factor in run time for both calculations (reduces total AH draw). Fridge may only run 50% of the time. AC unit compressor though will most likely be running close to 80% of the time with blower motor 100% of the time.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegroman View Post
well, got enough ideas to crack it wide open, and that's what i did today. had a lot less trouble than i had anticipated. actually, removing the dead duck was fairly easy, even for just one old guy on both ends. two screws holding it down at the back, unplugged everything, put a rolly thing at the front and pushed, pulled and yanked until it popped out onto the cart. rolled it out of the way. need to cap the gas line, maybe put a coat of kilz in the hole, then make final decide on the replacement.

just random thoughts; put a home/window a/c on the bottom, aiming the out-blow at the access trap door, build a deck above it and add a small, under counter fridge on top. 4 or 5 cu ft is all i need at the moment, i have the a/c, so my outlay would be <250.00 to be cool and still have lunch out in the boonies! all on batteries?

why? it's going to be a hot summer here in s.fla, and i hate the sound of a genny ruining the natural peace and quiet out in the woods. my roofers need the genny, but my bitty window unit draws only about 4a, so it's right for batteries, and maybe just enough to cool the bedroom while i watch a flick or read a book.

just a thought.
am
Hey Allegroman,
Where here in South Florida did you find a nice peacful woods, I am near Homestead and there is nothing like that around here, I want to go where you are.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
There is also the "Amish ice box" that can replace the Dometic-they are reputed to be of better quality. Or you can try ebay as a lot of used rv parts do show up there. Just stay away from the Dometic 1200 series as they are TROUBLE.
Odd man out on this thought.For me I do like camping and roughing it and all that,but no one is ever going to talk me into full-timing with a "ice box" let alone something smaller than I have now which is broken.And the best install of a home unit still looks like a cob job while I am trying to create with all my hard work luxury.Silly as this thought might be,but I bought my motor home right and do expect to not lose money when I at some point sell it as well.I do think it is the way you package stuff that dictates that end result or not.Think of this way.When you buy one and find some stuff that you feel you need to change because way the previous owner did stuff.Restore it back to what would normally be stock.Those home frig's are not that by any stretch of your imagination.And going smaller in a Frig certainly is not a strong selling point.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #23

Just go purchased a small residential unit and replace the darn thing.
Measure the width, height and depth before you go shopping. We replaced ours with an apartment size fridge from Lowes at a cost of $199.00 plus tax, installed it myself. Besure to secure the new unit to the floor and wall and if you so desire you can close up the openings on the outside and roof as the residential unit will not need the vents.
The night before you want to move turn it up to max cold and leave it. While you are moving leave it closed and everything will stay cold for appx 8 hours.
Best of luck on whatever you decide.....
Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #24

Replacement refrigerator

Do a search on the internet for reconditioned Ref. You might be able to get a used one on craigs list or ebay. Check for rv salvage yards.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:42 AM   #25

find the lake, turn right.

bilito, look at map of florida. find lake okeechobee. to the right is a big green section with a 45 degree diagonal border on lower part, sorta looks like what, nevada? that area is the corbett wildlife mgmt preserve, about 64000 acres. follow the diag se to the point, then due north, turn east, then north again, just a smidge. i live right there at the edge of it all. extra turkeys, deer and hogs, not to mention the gators, all overflow from there into my back yard during hunting season. keeps muh dawgs busy!

it's about 20 miles thru it, but my holiday is just 3 miles in from the house. i've been hiding in this spot for several years now, and only twice has there been anyone else there. that's what i mean by peace and quiet.

now, flea, there's lots of different folks out there. i understand what you are saying about your philosophy of life. mine is different. my rig is 25 years old and isn't in pristine shape, but it does what i want, and i'm comfortable with her. things i do are probably well below your standards, but resale value is the least of my concerns. this thing will most likely outlast me, and if i must cut corners to save the buck i don't have, to get thru just one more day with a half-smile on my face, then that's a good day for me. spending 1500 on a replacement dometic vs 300 for a res unit, guess which way i go.

i'm not knocking your way, just giving you a hint at mine. lots of folks hang out in mega buck taj mahals on wheels, but i bet there are others just as happy as i am with a cardboard sofa box on the back of a beverly hillbillies rattletrap. it's not what you drive, but the road you take that counts.

i've already given everything i had to the xyl and kids, there's not much left for me to enjoy during my last few days. this is it. it suits me. maybe they'll save a box and bury me in it!
o well, i have a moment or two i call fun. what else matters?

am
Old 04-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
bilito, look at map of florida. find lake okeechobee. to the right is a big green section with a 45 degree diagonal border on lower part, sorta looks like what, nevada? that area is the corbett wildlife mgmt preserve, about 64000 acres. follow the diag se to the point, then due north, turn east, then north again, just a smidge. i live right there at the edge of it all. extra turkeys, deer and hogs, not to mention the gators, all overflow from there into my back yard during hunting season. keeps muh dawgs busy!

it's about 20 miles thru it, but my holiday is just 3 miles in from the house. i've been hiding in this spot for several years now, and only twice has there been anyone else there. that's what i mean by peace and quiet.

now, flea, there's lots of different folks out there. i understand what you are saying about your philosophy of life. mine is different. my rig is 25 years old and isn't in pristine shape, but it does what i want, and i'm comfortable with her. things i do are probably well below your standards, but resale value is the least of my concerns. this thing will most likely outlast me, and if i must cut corners to save the buck i don't have, to get thru just one more day with a half-smile on my face, then that's a good day for me. spending 1500 on a replacement dometic vs 300 for a res unit, guess which way i go.

i'm not knocking your way, just giving you a hint at mine. lots of folks hang out in mega buck taj mahals on wheels, but i bet there are others just as happy as i am with a cardboard sofa box on the back of a beverly hillbillies rattletrap. it's not what you drive, but the road you take that counts.

i've already given everything i had to the xyl and kids, there's not much left for me to enjoy during my last few days. this is it. it suits me. maybe they'll save a box and bury me in it!

am

As Walt Kelly's Pogo would say-

To each his dagnab blue-eyed own...

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #27

Here in Az most of the grocery stores sell dry ice so you may want to check there. This would keep your frig cold and no water mess either.
Cool it down before heading out on shore power, put in the dry ice, good for several days most likely.
Enjoy your secret spot.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #28

Thumbs up

Quote:

am
I have been on this forum since what,07,yeah 07.The one common thread in this section is no one is flush with cash in this section.One thing for the whole time I have been on this section am amazed about is how inventive the members are and the end result we continuously see.How they might not have bought a Tai Mahal at first,but turned it into one.The idea of buying a seriously discounted tear out from a crashed M/H is one example of making something anyone would think isn't affordable into a useable reality.And a upgrade at the same time.I certainly can't afford the replacement cost of I think was $2,300 for my broken Norcold Frig and even if I could would never spend that kind of money for one.It's just that I like so many others here once decide the best way I want to go about something find a way to get there.If at some point,as I said,I want to sell my M/H,no one needs to know that I bought a tear out or anything else or what I cost me.All they need to do is stand back and look at it with the wow factor in mind.I'll let them think I spent the $2,300 or whatever and that what I really did was a deal for $500 or less.And that is only $200 more than a home use unit would have cost.

So my point is going to be posted hopefully in the overall big picture of a remodel job in my thread "roof repair" mid summer.It is certainly given the amount of time a example of someone who is willing to wait to do things the best way I can.

Tags
dometic, fridge