Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #29

Say, I really like that dry ice idea. Some thoughts on the idea.

In a residential fridge, most have a circulating fan that moves air from the freezer to the refer so I'd add an accessible switch to turn off the compressor but leave power to the fan so it could move cold air down to the refer. I would think that ten lbs of dry ice should last several days.

Great tip!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #30

i would just cap the gas at the manifold you were talking about and take line out if not needed.. sounds like a res unit will suit you fine

Old 04-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #31

thanks for all the positive reinforcement. it proves the quality of folks here and is what makes my visits here pleasurable. today is thurs and bm called to say they'll deliver tomorrow 11 to 4. i probably am too excited now to sleep!

will keep you posted on progress.
thanks, am
Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #32

well, the fridge came in, 2 guys lifted it up from the ground and pushed it thru window between co-pilot seat and door, and 2 of us moved it from there to the holeinthewall where dometic ustacouldbe. it actually fit with about 1/4 in on sides and 1 in on top. dometic left about 6 in on top, but this frigidaire 10 cu ft goes all the way up. i think i'll set up some fans to circulate air around the compressor area, pull in from the access door and exhaust up thru the roof vent.

it sure is purty! shiny black, big freezer on top, hi efficiency, 387 kwh/y. can barely hear it running. i'm so happy it fit right in. surprised too, because i went out after the avanti 7 cu ft, and saw this one, and it jumped out at me, so i bought it instead.

i'll let y'all know the numbers after it has run a few days on the killerwhat? for now, share the glad with me, and know it's another in the long line of 'it can't be dones'.

am
Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #33

there is one on craigs list either baton rouge or jackson ms for250.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I sure would like to see a picture of that bad boy. I'm thinking of doing the same thing in mine. Congrats on your work.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #35

Could you possibly hook up the fan you are going to install so it comes on when the fridge compressor is running? Shouldn't be too hard to find the wires to the compressor if you can get at the back of the new fridge.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:33 AM   #36

easier way

leadman, better than tampering with fridge wires, i'll look into a thermal sw attached to compressor body. compressors get pretty hot when running, and the switches ought to be both cheap to buy and have sufficient rating for directly switching a couple pc power supply fans. switching like this also leaves open options for ac or dc fans.
just a thought... am
Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #37

Excellent idea allegroman, but it might be difficult to find somewhere to attach one on the compressor, so I'd vote for a thermal switch designed specifically for the tubing going to the condenser. They make several temps, are designed to attach to the tubing and come with a snap on clamp. I'd get a 95F rated device. They can be found at any repair shop that handles refrigerators.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #38

Cool why?

jim, just wondering why you said might be hard to use compressor for ts... it's right there, a biggish black egg with little pipes in and out, a few wires into a connection box on its side... put your finger on it when it's running and it gets hot. i thought there was some clay-ish stuff ac guys use that would just stick the sw onto the side, probably at a crevice for better adhesion. thermal putty? dunno, but i see how easy to just clip onto a small pipe.

the thermo switches i saw were designed for gas or electric fireplaces, and switch on a fan when there is heat being produced. cost about 6 bux.

as for the activation temp, 95 too low. camper easily runs well over 100deg just sitting there in my fla back yard, most of the year. (i usually leave the doors and windows open while i'm home. one back-burner project is an automated venting system. the fantastics i've seen are nice, but so's the price. also, needs lots of cfm to keep temp reasonable. maybe just needs a sunscreen, maybe like the pullover bed covers big trash trucks use?)

am
Old 05-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #39

If you can figure out which wire is hot when the compressor turns on go to either end that you can access and hook a wire there on the terminal. Sometimes a small adapter wire can be made to have a pigtail on it for the fan wire. This way if you have a warranty issue with the new fridge you can take the pigtail out and hook the wire back up just like it came from the factory. A ground can be found many places to complete the circuit.

JB Weld has been used to mount switches and sensor. It is a 2 part epoxy that is a thick paste. Just make sure the sensor is tight to whatever you mount it on.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #40

Because of the compressors size & shape. A flat thermo switch would be difficult to attach to the compressor...I would be worried that putty (at least the types I'm familiar with) would age rapidly and detach. BUT, there are thermal devices that are specifically designed to partially wrap around compressor pipes and even come with a metal clip to attach them. Likelihood of one of them just dropping off is remote. And as mentioned, with the pipe thermal sw, no warranty issues. However, the real experts would be refer techs still in the business. I've been out of that line of work for a few decades.

As far as the temp rating of the switch goes, we're talking about switching on fans to help exhaust heat from the back of the refer. The sw wouldn't close until 95F. But when it does, it turns on a couple fans you install to vent air, preferably through a roof vent. I'm not following your logic about the temp rating of the sw being too low at 95. If it is rated higher & comes on after you've reached an even higher temp, that reduces the efficiency of the refer, makes it work harder, and shortens it's life. IMO.

But it's your RV and you know it's ins/outs better then I do. If you think it should be set for a higher temp, then that's what you should put in. Of course if you can't find a 95 thermal sw, then get what you can get.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #41

i was just thinking that if the ts activates at 95 or so, and the compressor isn't running, but the ambient inside the camper is over that and turns on the fans, running the fans accomplishes what?

there's much more planning needed. for example, what conditions am i looking at: 1, at home on shore power, 2, on the road, with or without power to fridge, 3, out in the boonies, again, with or without power to the fridge.

i still think the only time the fans ought to run is if the compressor is running. to refrain from messing with the fridge wiring, i'd have to do a dry switch mounted on the compressor (or tubes) and have it actuate at a temp high enough to truly indicate compressor-on temps, yet not be activated by ambient temps inside a florida/summer camper. i think, especially if running on batteries or solar, running the fans unnecessarily might be considered electron-abuse.

again, hooking right into the compressor power wires restricts fans to 110vac units. i'd like to keep my options open for maybe dc fans powered directly by a small solar system backed up by battery. this would necessitate using dry switch on the compressor.

howz that sound?
am
ps jb weld is right up there with vice grips, clippy-clamps and computers.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #42

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=allegroman;1167518]

there's much more planning needed. for example, what conditions am i looking at: 1, at home on shore power, 2, on the road, with or without power to fridge, 3, out in the boonies, again, with or without power to the fridge.

As I set here looking at the smilies..........Still staying positive trying to help you,all I can say is the above quote no truer words have ever been spoken.

So I guess the best route for me to follow is to set in the cheap seats and watch this thread develop threw solar panels,switches,and mods etc.

For the sake of the forum(as it has been in the past),please do continue to post what comes next with totals of the costs for folks to read in the future.

My best guess is it will end up being real close if done right to the costs of a good deal on a used RV frig which would do all those conditions your now questioning and do it for longer.

Allegroman-be very sure that I am one of the good guys on this forum.That I am the biggest supporter of all the members on it.Even if the best advise I can give isn't in agreement with the O/P or everyone else and get my feelings hurt some for it.And in terms of this topic as it is with everything else,either you end up giving up some features or trying to mod it done right costs nearly as much as the item needed in the first place.

Your biggest supporter-Gary

Tags
dometic, fridge