Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #1

1988 Fleetwood - hood seal

There is a small hood at the front of the motorhome to allow you to service the windshield wash, radiator and fusepanel etc. I was wondering if this motorhome came with a sealing strip at the top? There are on the vertical sides but not the top. Water runs down the window and then into the hood and keeps the batteries wet on top thus a corrosion issue for the battery connections. see pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9328.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	107984   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9329.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	107985  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	107986  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2015, 12:06 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
When you are driving down the road in the rain, the front of the grill area is wet, so putting a seal at the top is kind of a moot point? If you think the wiring is getting wet, then a cover of some sort is either missing or been left off! You could cover with a flap of some kind? Or make a cover out of a plastic tray? Just a thought? Rail!

Old 09-27-2015, 07:54 PM   #3

I have a 1988 Fleetwood Southwind, and it has a rubber gasket, rather large (over an inch in diameter) across the top of the hood opening. It is very similar in shape to the ones on the side of the same opening.

When the fiberglass hood is closed, it is sealed on both vertical sides, and the top, but not on the bottom.

I had the corners of the top gasket droop and fall from their appropriate position, and also got the wet electronics you describe. I used some good caulk to re-position and hold the gasket in place, and that wetness went away.

If I drive in the rain, some stuff inside gets wet, but when parked, it all stays dry. I think it all can handle some water, the issue is the frequency or duration involved.

Still, I have considered more water protection for the components.

Our front ends look similar enough, I suspect yours is missing the gasket.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I have a 1988 Fleetwood Southwind, and it has a rubber gasket, rather large (over an inch in diameter) across the top of the hood opening. It is very similar in shape to the ones on the side of the same opening.

When the fiberglass hood is closed, it is sealed on both vertical sides, and the top, but not on the bottom.

I had the corners of the top gasket droop and fall from their appropriate position, and also got the wet electronics you describe. I used some good caulk to re-position and hold the gasket in place, and that wetness went away.

If I drive in the rain, some stuff inside gets wet, but when parked, it all stays dry. I think it all can handle some water, the issue is the frequency or duration involved.

Still, I have considered more water protection for the components.

Our front ends look similar enough, I suspect yours is missing the gasket.

Excellent! I figured something had to be there. Any chance you can take some pics? The seals on the vertical sides are screwed in, I do not notice anything on the horizontal (top) to hold the seal on. Is it glued on? If I can get an idea of the shape of the seal that would help also.

Thanks for your help
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #5

Hood Gasket

I am embarrassed with how dirty my hood and hood gaskets are. I just walked out to the pole barn where I keep my MH, so please excuse the dirty rubber.

By the way, in some of the pics, you can see the screws that hold the side gaskets, but the top one is glued on.

Mine had saggy ends, about the last foot or 18 inches would drop into the under hood area. (not really the engine compartment)

Last year, I had some grey caulk in my hands at the time, and for good or not, I used a thick bead of caulk under the gasket, then stuck the gasket in place and closed the hood to hold it there. It has been in place ever since.

I just did a quick sloppy job here. Sorry. The side shots are sideways as well, but just to exercise your neck muscles, they are not sideways the same direction.

Still the point is made.

Good luck.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, seal