Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
1988 Fleetwood Limited Generator Service

In looking at my Onan Emerald III NHE generator on my 1988 Fleetwood Limited and thinking about servicing the generator, especially the ignition parts, plugs, etc., and was wondering if the generator will swing down for easier service of the back side components.

John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerritt View Post
In looking at my Onan Emerald III NHE generator on my 1988 Fleetwood Limited and thinking about servicing the generator, especially the ignition parts, plugs, etc., and was wondering if the generator will swing down for easier service of the back side components.

John
I was at an RV parts and repair place today and asked that same question about mine and was warned these things weigh around 300 pounds, that I should try to do what I could with it in place. I said why not just lower it with a floor jack and was reminded that as it swings down it also moves almost two feet inward.They said you gotta know what youre doing and have the right equipment or it might accidently freefall and cause all sorts of damage to both you and the RV.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine is on sliding rails. Makes it much easier to service. I don't know how hard it would be to drop one though.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:26 AM   #4

If it is like my 4K Onan it is no problem to swing it down. Mine has a metal strap 3" or so wide on the right side of the unit and hinges on the rear. Make sure the hinges are good then use a floor jack under the opposite side of the hinges. Position the jack under the gen and raise it up to take the pressure off the bolts then take the strap loose and it should swing down. Make sure your jack will roll towards the center of the MH.
I took mine down on an elk hunt in a snow storm with a branch and some big rocks and don't remember it being that much of an ordeal. My hot air hose going to the air intake had come loose and the carb was icing up.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:47 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You should be able to do routine service on your Onan without much difficulty without dropping it.

We have the 6.5 NHE in our '89 Southwind, and we have serviced it and replaced plugs, plug wires, coil and control panel without any issues.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #6

There is no way I could replace the rear spark plug on my generator without dropping it. It only takes a couple of minutes to drop the generator and a few more to raise it again.

Tags
fleetwood, generator, service