Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #15

In my 85 the fuel safety switch was on the wheelwell wall inside under the dash on the passenger side. I don't think that is the problem, but would look at the in tank pumps first. If the tanks were dry with crud from old gas, you will need to clean those first. Could be spendy to replace the pumps, but they can be cleaned.
UncleRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #16

FWIW you might also try fire department or towing operation to see if they have info on the fuel shutoff. It is something they would be concerned about.

I would start by pulling off the connector to the pump as you will need to remove it anyway. Check it for voltage with the key on. No point in replacing the pump if there is no power to it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #17

I pulled the external pump and bench tested it with 12 volts. little click but no pumping so I think the pump itself is bad.

My meter was at work so i couldnt check to see if the plug had 12 volts at the pump.

With the inline pump, if I replace it will I still need to drop the tank and replace the in-tank pump or is the inline enough?

I'll work on it a bit again tomorrow night then Thursday i am off so it should be going then...
jimzz2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:19 AM   #18

With my GM there is a switch on the oil pressure port that makes contact when the engine starts. No oil pressure no in tank fuel pump. Mine will start and run just on the mechanical fuel pump but runs out of fuel if there is a demand on the engine.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #19

Old fuel may have varnished up.

Try pushing air through the pump.

Safer than gas.

You may need to clean it out with chemtool or other cleaner.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #20

well I have made some progress, still a ways to go though.
I replaced the external pump on the frame rail. Instead of connecting it to the tank I ran a hose to a can of gas. it started right up.

SO I then connected the fuel line to the gas tank.. can no draw up any fuel. I put 10 gallons in the tank so I know there is fuel in the tank.. just cant draw it out.

Today I will wrestle with dropping the tank to see if the fuel pickup line is intact in the tank or see where i am loosing prime..
Old 06-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #21

Check for bad or cracked line between pump and tank.

Old rubber may not like new gas and could have failed.

May be steel line with rubber couplers.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #22

SPent the day working on the old girl. dropped the tank.. It was full! pumped it all out into buckets.
removed the fuel pump assembly and found the pump not working and could not blow through the tube so no way any fuel was getting through with the external pump.

cleaned it all up, was going to replace the whole assembly but no one in town had it, and i didnt want to wait until after the weekend to get a shipment.
Advance auto had the fuel pump in stock so i just replaced the pump after testing the sending unit and clearing the lines

Put the pump and tank back together and reinstalled after blowing out all the lines front to rear.

The external pump below the drivers area was also bad so that was replaced as well.

turn the key off/on a few times to verify both pumps were activating..THEY WERE!

put 10 gallons of gas in and activated the pumps a few times to prime the lines then tried the engine.. It sputtered a few times but finally fired up and idled great.
turned it off for 5 minutes and tried it again--Fired right up!

HAPPY CAMPER! still have to put the driveshaft back in before taking it for a joy ride...that is for another day... i am Beat!
Old 06-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #23

Awesome!!!
apg0503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
How did it go?
Trekgrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekgrr View Post
How did it go?
Pretty darn good. The driveshaft was a bit tough to wrestle with but all and all it went together smoothly.

The RV runs and drives pretty nice. I ended up buying it while it wasnt running and got a pretty sweet deal on it.

After I got it all back together I noticed the fuel gauge isnt working so i will have to drop the tank again and replace the sending unit. I tested the old one prior to putting it back in and it was working, but now it is not.

No one in town stocks it, so I ended up ordering an airtex 2071. It is the complete sending unit and fuel pump. I will keep the fuel pump as a spare.

For Now I am content and will keep an eye on the odometer between fills until I change out the sending unit
Old 10-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #26

i just bought a 86 fleetwood with a 460 in it. i got it to fire but as soon as i put it in gear it dies. usually in the middle of the road. finally got ot home with a few swear words. found out the neutral safty switch is either bad or out of adjustment and the endelbroc carbs choke doesn't work so it was fun getting home. mine has two fuel pumps in the back one doesn't work period and the other has a weak stream(i know how that feels). where is the neutral safty switch at? i looked along the steering column inside and outside and cannot find it.
mrcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #27

switch

The neutral switch is mounted on the transmission, at the selector lever on a ford C6 transmission.
rustyrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #28

that's what i thought . all my mechanics reletive told me it had to be on the column.
mrcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, ford