Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:43 PM   #1

1988 Jayco travel trailer wiring

I have a 1988 16' Jayco trailer I bought a year ago and am stuck with a bunch of wires that look like a rats nest. I have no idea where everything goes. The 120v is ok but the 12v for everything else is a lost cause. I'm trying to save the wiring that is installed but am having no luck. I need a wiring diagram can anyone help. This is a model 1630. I also am trying to understand just what the transformer behind the breaker box dose. The wires from the truck have no plug as of right now. Thank for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 06:49 AM   #2

Before you do anything to "all" the 12 Vdc wiring.....

Do any of the 12Vdc items work when you have a new/charged battery hooked up?

Have you verified that there's 12vdc (or higher) on the big red and white cables (most likely) at the breaker panel when plugged in to shore power.

The transformer behind the panel is likely part of your converter. This is what supplies charging voltage/current when plugged into shore power. If you don't have a battery installed it would also supply 12 Volts to everything.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:38 PM   #3

I'm thinking the converter isn't working since I have no lights inside without the battery hooked up. All the inside lights work off the battery but the main problem is the outside lights. Tail,brake and running lights on the sides of the trailer. I tried to do one wire at a time to new tail lights and it seams as though some wires anr not working. When the tail lights are on the running lights on the outside corners and top back should be on ,right?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker art View Post
I'm thinking the converter isn't working since I have no lights inside without the battery hooked up. All the inside lights work off the battery but the main problem is the outside lights. Tail,brake and running lights on the sides of the trailer. I tried to do one wire at a time to new tail lights and it seams as though some wires anr not working. When the tail lights are on the running lights on the outside corners and top back should be on ,right?
There are essentially two separate 12v systems for your trailer. The exterior lighting (running, brake, and turn) are powered from the towed vehicle. The interior lights and refer and furnace if so equipped are powered from the battery and/or converter. I'd recommend that you separate the troubleshooting.

Yes, when the taillights are on, the clearance lights on the top back and outside corners should be on.
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #5

Keep in mind on your exterior light such as brakes etc that the skin or body if it is metal is usually the ground side of the circuit. If it is loosen and tighten the mounting screws on each light as it will help get a clean bite into the metal. If non metal than there will have to be a ground wire run also to make those lights work. The standard color coding for your exterior running lights is usually as follows.

White=Ground
Marker and clearance lights=Black if on dedicated circuit could be brown if tied into tail lights
Left turn=Yellow
Right turn=Green
Stop light & antiwheel lock=Red
Tail lamp=Brown
Auxiliary circuits=Blue

Mind you there are many variations out there depending on electric or hyd brakes on the trailer etc. What I normally find is the red will be used for the electric brakes if equipped and the blue will be used to charge the house battery. It also depends on how many pole connector your using as to how that is wired.

Most towing vehicles probably will use a combined brake and turn signal circuit and I would guess also the trailer is equipped the same and probably uses a 1157 bulb. In that case the yellow and green wires do double duty (brake and turn functions)

Give us some more details about the cable on the tongue and if it goes to a junction box or how that was done. What sort of connector are you wanting to use? If your going to buy one which I am guessing will be the case from one of your statements than I would go with what is called the 7 pole RV plug design. What sort of brake system are you using?

One last thing your outside lights with the exception of a porch light should not work with anything but your towing vehicle when your plugged into it.

If you could take a few pictures of the key things light junction boxes etc. it might help too.

Hope this is clear as mud for you.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #6

When I get a chance to get back at it I will hook my pickup to it and using it I will try a d trace down the connections. This has been a complete rebuild from the frame up and the wires were cut but reconnected by soldering and should be ok except for one ore two that don't seem to be connected to anything. I will keep you posted.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:06 PM   #7

Update, I rewired the tail lights and got everything working. Trailer is ready for registration and painting. After 1 year and lots of work its got a new floor.walls kitchen counter w sink. I also got a 12 v refer and bathroom area.Soon to be camping and traveling to Socal. Two days ago it was in my driveway facing the wrong direction for easy access to the door for rebuild. I had to move it around to be able to hook up to the truck.I have a HF dolly and I pulled the trailer 30' up the drive and got in position for a 180 turn around.I'm 73 and I pulled it myself off the gravel onto the cement drive. I also had to rebuild the AC motor. The bearings went out and it was making lots of noise. It's a dated one and may be original from 1988. I have a small HF lathe and made new bronze bearings. Runs great now.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:49 AM   #8

That was a wonderful update. Enjoy the camping.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:01 PM   #9

How do I post pictures of my Trailer?
Old 04-13-2016, 12:00 AM   #10

The way I do it is click the go advanced button. Then manage attachments. From there import the file. I use the program paint to size the picture small enough for the system. Click on image then stretch/skew and I go to 50 percent size, maybe a couple of times to get it into a small enough file for this system. Some use photo bucket I think, I know nothing about that method. Do the size thing before you import. Dennis

Tags
jayco, travel, travel trailer, wiring