Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #1

1988 Pace Arrow, Energy management System

Ok, so here it goes.

1988 Pace Arrow with 2 air conditioners and a 30 amp service. I want to run both. Viewed the information to add an outlet to run the 2nd a/c off the 20amp outlet at the park. I don't feel this is a good decision if the 30amp is using the same power, just a different breaker. Would be ok during the week when there is nobody next to you and use the other side of the power.

Could wire the coach for 50 amp service, considering it.

I did hear about Energy management systems. Where you can have both A/C's on, When the compressor turns off on 1 the other A/c turns on. and so on. And the fan continues to run on both.

I cannot find any energy management systems to determine if this solution is cost effective.
AtekorS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 11:19 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
To install an energy management system where there's never been one would require extensive rewiring of the RV breaker panel. Intellitic made EMS systems installed in many 30 amp RVs with 2 A/C, but with the more common 50 amp service and it's almost 3 X the amperage available over a 30 amp system, I don't see one listed from them anymore.

Replacement boards for the Intellitec EMS run ~$300-$430 and a replacement display is over $100. Generator / Transfer Switches / Surge Guards / Energy Management Systems | pdxrvwholesale

A 30 amp to 50 amp conversion would require a new power panel and new circuit breakers unless you install a compatible panel that would allow the reuse of some of the old breakers. If you have an automatic transfer switch, it would also need replacing with a 50 amp one and a new shore cord. Extensive rewiring would also have to be done, although much of the wires in place could be used. Just parts alone would run $500-$800.

I really don't understand your reluctance to use a 20 amp cord for the second A/C. The campground pedestal should be able to handle the 30 amp shore cord and the additional 20 amp cord. Neither would be using the maximum CB rated amps, so less than 50 amps total. A 50 amp outlet has the capacity to provide 100 amps at 120 v, the capacity of an RV 50 amp outlet.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #3

Thanks a bunch!

Ok, I found out what I wanted to know, I will start getting parts together to add power to one of the A/C's.
AtekorS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Is your generator capacity large enough to run both A/C units? This was common in RVs in the day. If so, wiring one to run on a separate shore cord would make it in operative on generator power. I suggest you find the line from the generator to the A/C and install a plug/outlet in the line. When wanting the A/C on generator power, the plug/outlet is connected. When wanting to use the A/C with an extension cord, that would be plugged into the connection.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, pace arrow