Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #1

1988 pace arrow pls help

Hello evryone i have 1988 pace arrow ford 460 i just got new batteries 1 main 850 cold crank and 2 deepcycle when i drive around for 20-30 mins my rv wont start again takes about 10 mins for battery to charge and finally starts any ideas? Thank you in advance
cerdo255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #2

Cerdo,

You short narrative could describe any combination of six failures or problems that I can think of off-hand.
So,
Check the starter current when cranking cold.
Check that the alternator is charging the chassis battery effectively.
Check all the connections between the chassis battery and the starter.
Check the starter current when cranking hot.

One or more of those will lead you in the correct direction.

Matt
Old 07-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
What do you mean 'takes about 10 mins for the batt to charge'? Are you just sitting? Plugged in? Do you mean 10 mins of driving? Kinda lost here..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Was it cranking OK before you changed the battery? If so, you may have left off one of the leads. If not that, just put a meter on the battery and see what the voltage is while the engine is running. It should be around 13.2 to 14.5 volts.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Do you mean if you run the engine for a while and then shut it off, it won't crank immediately? But if you wait 10 minutes it will?

Sounds like a weak starter- gets hot, won't crank. Cools down a little and it starts ok.

It would have nothing to do with your battery.

Just my first thought.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #6

There may have been a shield near the starter and that is missing and the starter will get to hot to turn over without it until it cools down.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #7

A missing heat shield is definitely a possibility and the excess heat that the starter has absorbed without it may have weakened the starter. In my case, I replaced the starter with a new one and replaced the heat shield but it still cranks slowly if you kill it out after running for a while and try to crank it again, after pumping gas for instance.

There is a cure, albeit a little expensive, and I will do it to mine if I ever get to the point that I can use my mh on any kind of regular basis. At your local race shop you can purchase a tilton, or similar brand, high output starter which is built to start high compression racing engines. If I remember correctly, they are in the $300 range but I'll pay that for the assurance that my engine is going to start on command.
thewildthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildthang View Post
A missing heat shield is definitely a possibility and the excess heat that the starter has absorbed without it may have weakened the starter. In my case, I replaced the starter with a new one and replaced the heat shield but it still cranks slowly if you kill it out after running for a while and try to crank it again, after pumping gas for instance.

There is a cure, albeit a little expensive, and I will do it to mine if I ever get to the point that I can use my mh on any kind of regular basis. At your local race shop you can purchase a tilton, or similar brand, high output starter which is built to start high compression racing engines. If I remember correctly, they are in the $300 range but I'll pay that for the assurance that my engine is going to start on command.
I would try a simple, and cheaper, 'starter blanket' first.. works wonders..

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #9

thank you so much for the ideas but i cant find the start in ford 460 i look everywhere :(
cerdo255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #10

Haven't seen the blanket before. Has to be inexpensive as compared to a high torque starter so I'll give it a shot before I drop the bigger $.

I've been out of racing for many years so I don't know if tilton is still the manufacturer of choice, you should talk to a supplier as to what the latest and greatest is but here is a link for a tilton that appears to be for a 460 ford.

Tilton 54-10014 Tilton Super Starters
thewildthang is offline   Reply With Quote