Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #1

1988 Tiffin Allegro Engine Battery

So I bought a 1988 Tiffin Allegro in great condition. When I drove it from the previous owner, it started fine. He said he hadn't had it on a charger or tender at all. A week later, it struggled to start. I jumped it, and it started fine. Let it run for a bit, but I didn't want to drive it and waste gas, so I shut it off, knowing that it would start next time if I jumped it if I had to.

A week after that, and it won't start at all. Not even trying to turn over as if the battery is completely dead. I'm not sure what could be draining the engine battery though, but I think I must have turned on something or flipped a switch that is draining it somehow. I just don't know where it could be or what I did.

Is there anything that could be draining the battery? I assumed that since it was an engine battery, it would just be plugged into the engine to start it and nothing else. I didn't turn on the radio or lights, so I know its not that. I'm wondering if I flipped a switch that somehow drew power from the engine battery to the house battery.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #2

There are , engine and trans controllers that draw chassis battery power continually , they will drain the battery in 2 to 3 weeks .
Jump starting and running a short time ; didn't come close to bringing the battery up to full charge . So the battery state of charge has been going down since you brought it home.
The only connection between the chassis battery and the coach batteries , should be the , Boost ( emergency start ) switch and relay , if your coach is equipped with one.
You didn't mention if the coach batteries are dead too.
Remove the chassis battery , have it charged and load tested .
If your able to plug into power , where you store the coach , consider adding a battery tender to the chassis battery. If you can't plug in , disconnect the chassis battery, any time it is going to be parked for more than a couple of days.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:29 PM   #3

BTW: Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry you're here with problems.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #4

I'll post with renovations later, but for now I have to get the engine parts running reliably before we move on to customization.

The house battery is dead I think. I read the manual, and all the 12volt outlets are powered by the engine battery. So I think I may have turned on a light and left it on and don't know which one to turn it off. So for now, research, and I know the battery might be completely drained, but I was planning on replacing that anyway.

If anyone knows, where the hell is the house battery in a Tiffin Allegro? And the Inverter. The generator works and the microwave and fridge work when the generator is running, but I can't figure out where it is hiding to see how old it is. I'd also want to somehow bypass it so everything from the pilot seats back is powered by the house batteries since we are going to be adding solar soon, and I figured if I could segregate it, it would make things easier. I'm not sure that is possible though, but I'll have to open up the fuse panel and follow the wires to see where everything goes.

We are planning on going full time at the end of July, so we have some time to get this working, but I want at least the engine to start so we don't get stuck somewhere and need a jump. We are going to Florida where we have family then, and getting some help doing some remodels and retooling and such, that includes the solar and electrical system. I just don't want to tear apart too much right now and have chaos while we take the month or so to drive down there.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #5

2005 Tiffin the house ( coach ) batteries were under the entry steps , first step down from floor level , lifted up .
Hope that's where they are on yours.

1988 coach may not have an inverter , only a converter/charger for powering 12v systems. But being that vintage , anything can have been changed from original.

BTW; I'm assuming this coach is on a gas chassis / Ford ? GM ?
Old 04-22-2017, 09:24 PM   #6

Its a Chevy 454. And I think it has to have an inverter, it has AC outlets and the microwave is plugged in and works. I didn't pull it out to check, but I'm pretty sure it would be AC. There are two TVs in it though, really old little tubes, and I pulled the one out in the dash and it had a DC cigarette lighter adapter powering it. The fridge works when the generator is running also.

I'll check to see if the steps lift up, I didn't even try that. I looked in all the basement bins and didn't see a battery, but I admit I wasn't looking for one either.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #7

I just got an 88 Allegro myself. The inverter is under the stove, and the house batteries are on driver side next to the generator
Old 07-17-2017, 05:25 AM   #8

Hi Guys,
Don't mistake a converter for an inverter and vice versa.
A converter will charge your 12v batteries....which ever one's it's connected to and an inverter will change your 110v AC to 12v DC.
An 88 Allegro will not have had an inverter fitted from the factory.
From the sounds of it, ebaierl's inverter has been retro fitted.
kennyrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:03 AM   #9

Having outlets doesn't mean you have an inverter.

My MH came with outlets and a microwave, but didn't have an inverter. They work when on shore or generator power.

Plugging in, is how most RVers camp.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #10

If you are still having a problem with a draw on the chassis battery, I would suggest that you dissconnect the negative battery cable from the fully charged battery and connect a 12 volt test light between the cable connector and the negative battery terminal. If the light glows, even dimly, you have a draw.With the help of an assistant the next step is to pull 12 volt chassis fuses one at a time until the test light goes out. This will narrow the draw down to one circuit. At this point you can dissconnect components related to the 1 circuit and hopefully find your draw. A small draw can be found by placing an ammeter in line between the negative battery cable and battery.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:58 PM   #11

Inverter changes 12volt to 110
Old 07-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #12

I mispoke. I meant the converter, not inverter.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:34 PM   #13

Yeah, still having issues with it. If I drive it for an hour or so, the engine will stray charged for two or three days. I'm not sure where the fuse panel is for the engine, I know where the internal one is there, but I assume the engine fuses are located somewhere else. I'm thinking about putting in a disconnect switch and routing it into the dash so I can just disconnect the battery easier than opening it up and unhooking it every time I stop for a few days.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeald View Post
I just got an 88 Allegro myself. The inverter is under the stove, and the house batteries are on driver side next to the generator
I'll have to check there. It doesn't have an oven, but there is a vented compartment under a drawer beneath the stove. I looked in it when I first bought it, but I don't remember what was down there.

And yes, I understand converter might be there. I'm looking at adding solar next spring, so if I can find the converter, that would help. Maybe I can go with just an inverter instead of an inverter/charger combo.

Tags
allegro, battery, engine, tiffin