Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #1

1989 Class C 22' Jamee: Loose ladder/leaking roof

Hello All

Question: Looking for info about how ladders are attached to the roof of an RV.

I recently purchased a 1989 Class C 22' Jamee RV at a very reasonable price. All systems more or less work, and the interior is in reasonable shape. My aim is to keep the RV running for the next 4 or 5 years until my kids don't want to spend weekends with their parents any more. I do *not* want to make major repairs.

My issue of the moment is the following: The screws attaching the ladder to the top of the RV are loose (appear to be pulling out of the roof), and as a result there is almost certainly water damage. My inclination is simply clean all the caulk from around the fittings, remove the existing screws and replace with oversized screws (hopefully finding some good wood) and re-caulking.

Is this approach likely to be successful, or should I take a different approach? I am *not* going to do a major repair...am looking for reasonable quick fixes.

Thanks,
Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well you have some damage or the screws would not be loose I would just seal it and don't try the screws because there is not any good wood there and being your not going to do any repairs it's the simplest way to not do any repairs

Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #3

I would look for some aluminum plates slightly larger (4" square?) than the flanges on the ladder. Clean the area where the ladder fastens to the roof to bare metal, place the plates between the ladder flanges and the roof, and re-attach the ladder using the holes in the ladder flange. Then add a 4 more screws, one in each corner of the alum. plates. That should give you all the fastening power you would ever need if there's anything left of the wood in that area. Then seal the heck out of it.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #4

Ahicks

I like it! I was ruminating about using through bolts, but I like your idea better.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #5

I wouldn't use the MH ladder period....use your own. My jayco is rock solid, but I don't trust that ladder
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
I wouldn't use the MH ladder period....use your own. My jayco is rock solid, but I don't trust that ladder
Do as you like, but they were put there to be used, not just a decoration.

Check this out:
Weight on roof
Old 11-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Do as you like, but they were put there to be used, not just a decoration.

Check this out:
Weight on roof

Do as you like, but I doubt the engineers were thinking that ladder would have 6ft tall, 220lb+ guys going up and down them on the regular. Every ladder I've been on has flexed/twisted, and not in a nice way...and I've been on a few. I was helping my friend change lights on his 2007 Georgetown, and just from standing on the ladder for an extended period, the caulking all separated at the top of the mounting points, just from the ladder flexing. On my Coachmen, right before I sold it, two screw heads popped off when I climbed up on the roof with a bucket to clean it.

So as I said, I'll stick to using my step ladder.

p.s: With an older unit, metal fatigue can occur around joints, and mounting screws can become corroded. The welded joints on my Class C jayco all have hair line cracks, so trust me, the day will come when I go up that, and I come down the hard way.

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof