Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Vintage RV Owners Club
1989 driftwood 32ft by rockwood

hey all, i am looking at a rockwood 32ft driftwood 1989 w/ a 460 ford, auto, john deer chassis, a little less then 60,000 mi. want's $8749 for it. does anyone know about these mh's? are they any good, what problems do they have? not sure if FI or carb. i heard they sometimes have fuel pump prob's. thanks for your help

Outlaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
not familiar with that one for that price it needs to be almost perfect just my opion

whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
It has 60,000 miles, the quirks have more than likely been fixed. Sounds good, new and old have some issues. Your biggest concern may be the tires, how old are they? My MH has 80,000, runs like a dream. Carbs can be an issue if you have to pass smog inspections.
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Big issues will be tires, brakes, leaks and generator. The 460 for of that vintage was, I believe had a carb and 3 speed automatic. I believe the 1990 model got the throttle body injection and 4 speed automatic transmission.

Low hours on the generator could lead to trouble. Also the 460 had a slight tendency to crack exhaust manifolds unless it had the split manifold. You may have to look at headers.

The 460 is generally a reliable engine with normal maintenance. Expect something in the range of 7 to 8 mpg at 65 mph.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Vintage RV Owners Club
thanks guy's. does anyone know about this class A. i know about the engine but i can not find anything about the driftwood 32ft class A from rockwood. got any info on this? thanks

Outlaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Thumbs up Driftwood Rockwood

I own a 1988 Driftwood Rockwood 37MH. I purchased it two years ago. I have the 460 Carb and on a John Deere chassis. I have 41k miles on mine now. You are correct with the fuel pump problem. The original one was long since gone when I bought mine the small replacement one wasn't doing the job. Easy solution...I put on a Holley Red and two new filters one course screen before the pump and fine screen after. Just Drove from Washington State in Aug where I bought it to Virginia where I live now. Had no problem in the Cascades, Blues, Rockies or the Appalachian Mountains. Made it in 73 hrs averaging about 6.75 mpg. Very Rock Solid MH in my opinion. I have replaced oil and transmission lines and coolers. I run synthetic oil and transmission fluids. I have all the original manuals and have located the updated one (still 20 years old) from John Deere Catalog site. My manual is a PC2109 for the 37MH. I have the C6 transmission and it runs great! I Would recommend this motor home to anyone if it has been maintained fairly well. Freightliner services the chassis as John Deere sold their chassis division to them some years ago. Let me know if you buy it. It's one heck of a good solid piece of American craftsmanship!
Rockobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:01 AM   #7
I know a lot about Rockwoods. What do you need to know?

dulobast25 is offline   Reply With Quote