Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #1

1989 Elite 36' Motorhome

I'm a newbie to RV world. I have been looking for a 'entry level' diesel pusher. I want to 'test the waters' without a huge investment, do a few local trips this year, maybe a week or so next year, see if we want to move up or get out.
Going to look at above tomorrow. It has a 300 Cat engine, on a gillig chassis, with air ride & air brakes. As I do all my own vehicle & home repair/ maintenance, I don't have a problem fixing stuff. being an older unit, I know some issues come with the territory. I have been looking at 92 - 95 range units, but a couple things sparked interest in this 89, side radiator being huge due to engine access.
it is suppose to have air brakes, & being I am a commercial driver, I am familiar with the benefits of them.

Anyone have one?
Elite was it's own company?
Thoughts?

Thanks in Advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I also purchased an 1989 diesel pusher for the exact reasons you state. I've spent a few thousand replacing things, but now that I've got it working 100% I'm having trouble parting with it. I think, man it would be nice to have something a bit bigger, with a few slides and more horsepower, but then I think of all the pleasure I get from the one I own. It's not a money thing, I just really enjoy my old beast.. I've seen the model you're looking at, very nice rig. I think you'll really enjoy it. Be aware that most likely you'll have to replace many things. Pretty much everything rubber will need to replaced to be reliable, air bags, hoses, etc. if it has the original radiator, you can most likely count on replacing it.
I got lucky and previous owner had replaced all hoses and radiator, along with all brake lines, fluids, etc. It also has a new fridge. I have an air conditioner which will most likely need replacement soon. Lots of little things, but if you can fix them yourself you should do alright. I paid to have all mine issues fixed, knowing I could never recoup this money, but who cares... I just don't mention it to the wife..

Old 08-09-2016, 07:10 AM   #3
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjDave View Post
I'm a newbie to RV world. I have been looking for a 'entry level' diesel pusher. I want to 'test the waters' without a huge investment, do a few local trips this year, maybe a week or so next year, see if we want to move up or get out.
Going to look at above tomorrow. It has a 300 Cat engine, on a gillig chassis, with air ride & air brakes. As I do all my own vehicle & home repair/ maintenance, I don't have a problem fixing stuff. being an older unit, I know some issues come with the territory. I have been looking at 92 - 95 range units, but a couple things sparked interest in this 89, side radiator being huge due to engine access.
it is suppose to have air brakes, & being I am a commercial driver, I am familiar with the benefits of them.

Anyone have one?
Elite was it's own company?
Thoughts?

Thanks in Advance.
The chassis and engine are "1,000,000 mile" pieces. It will be all the ancillary pieces you will have to touch and repair.

See my project thread (I also have a Gillig Chassis)

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #4

Have you seen all of the posts of breakdowns with brand new $300k + units? You will be fine with your skills.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #5

That is a great "school bus" chassis built near the bay area in ca to meet ca safety rules so it is very well built.

The cruise control throttle system is pneumatic and the regulators can leak but simple to fix.

Be sure to burp out the air from the cooling system via the valves on the large pipes at rear of the engine.

Ride height valves can be tricky but can be serviced and easily adjusted.

You will love how the engine starts so well...Ours does anyway.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #6

I havent owned one of those but I've considered buying one and did some research. They seem to be a quality and well built unit. It's like anything that is older......try to get an idea of the condition, prior maintenance, and pride of ownership. If it all checks out, I'd go for it....but that's me. Good luck!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #7

Went & looked it over yesterday, looks like it was quite the Queen in her day, but would take considerably more to bring back to that status than I have time to do. Definetly built on a commercial chassis, air brakes & all.
The search continues.....
Old 08-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #8

What was the asking price?
Old 08-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #9

$8000, on York Craigslist
Old 08-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #10

Not bad.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:05 AM   #11

I have an awesome 1989 36' elite. She has been really nice for my family and I. We just recently took a trip to Sequoia and drove 7000ft up the mountain. She did it with ease. The 300hp Cat 3208 runs perfectly. She ran a little hot as we got close to the top but only about 210. 190 is nominal for her running temp. Pushing about 26k lbs loaded I was really impressed. She is sitting with about 31,000 miles on her right now which is shocking but the owner before us paid 50k for her and basically let her sit for 8+ years, running her once a month, and going on a few trips 100 miles away. Also, Previous owner installed a viper alarm system (Not sure why lol), 2 12 subs in the dining set with 4 6 inch hi low speakers and a multi channel amp. It sounds awesome! And an upgraded electric porcelain toilet in the restroom. All in all we have been very pleased with her and I recommend it to anybody. You don't get much for 20k these days but she has been well worth it.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:45 AM   #12

Thank you.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:34 AM   #13

No problem.

Were you able to find a comparable RV DjDave?
Old 10-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #14

Not yet, I'm currently looking at a couple Monaco's.

Tags
motorhome