Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #1

1989 Gulf Stream Classic

Hi

Long time lurker thought I would call on the collective wisdom of the forum.

I have spotted an '89 Class A Gulf Stream Classic Hi-Rise I am considering. 60K km (37K Miles) Ford 460 Carb on a John Deere chassis, 35 foot single axle dually platform. Apart from the manifold leak every 460 made from serial No.# 1 onwards suffers from, anything on these buses known to be an issue beyond usual class A motor-home headaches?

https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/medi...ic-Hi-Rise.pdf
the 8343-CLHR model

Anyone here have one or had one? Any comments on usability? Going to be 2 adults an 3 teens or preteens so have to check if the sofa bed and dinette beds are going to work. Not going to be living in it but using it for the annual 2 week vacation and lots of long weekend trips.

Regards

John
J_W_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had the 8310 and really liked it , mine was on a chevy chassis and had the same manifold problems the ford had. All in all it was a good coach, has a huge storage space that sold me on the coach when I bought it.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #3

Glad to hear your experience was positive, can you remember if the sofa bed was a pull out or a lay flat type?

thanks

John
J_W_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It was a lay flat. It was a push a button powered. really nice. I think mine was a 1987 model. It also had a drivers door that I liked.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #5

88 Hi Rise

We've had our 88 Hi-Rise for 13 years now and have had good and bad times with it. Most of the problems we've had would happen with most any MH that was 20 years old when we bought it. If your a good all around Mechanic, electrician, plumber ect, and have the time, money and place to work on it, than it may be for you. If you have to farm out repair and maintenance you'll likely go broke and have a bad experience. I bought ours because I loved the body style and it was in my price range. The Two Worst things about this unit were: 1. The last year of the 460 Carbureted engine. It makes around 180 HP and does not go up hills! I even got a book showing where all the passes were so that I could go around them. 2: A week roof support structure in the area where you come up the ladder and cross over the roof causing leaks in the bedroom area. Overall it's been a good experience and we've been full timers with this unit since 2006.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #6

I also have a hi rise same as Jpony56hd but he has quite the power plant I wish mine looked that good. I have been doing little here and there to it to make it ours . You can see different up grade that I have done.I am in process of putting camera system in now..

Tags
gulf stream