Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #225

Wow, so much good advice. My house batteries are two 6's. The main is a 12v. The neg cable of the main bat is bolted to the motor. You're saying I should take that off and bolt it to the frame somewhere? Should the neg cable on the main battery be separate from the neg cable on the house battery? It always ran fine like that before. It sounds like I may still have a bit o'work to do yet. I'll get to it on Monday. Thanks guys, keep it coming.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #226

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
You're saying I should take that off and bolt it to the frame somewhere? Should the neg cable on the main battery be separate from the neg cable on the house battery?
I don't think it matters how the ground cables are routed for the chassis battery, as long as the engine is grounded to the chassis/frame.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #227

You only want one(1) 6v house battery Negative post going to ground. The other Negative post goes to the Positive post of the other 6v battery as in Dave's picture. It doesn't hurt for the Negative posts to go to both the chassis and the motor. Most do, some way or another.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #228

Ok.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #229

If you look back to the "big three upgrade" link you'll see a increase in cable size for both + and - cables.Also a increase in the - cable for the engine to battery and engine to chassis.With the engine battery the way I did this was to use a dual terminal battery.(side/and top post)The side posts for the original wiring and the top posts for the added "big three upgrade" with adding in a secondary engine to chassis ground.

The whole point of this is increased continuity with a back up system.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Ron,

High resistance is probably what's cooking your battery terminals. You should have your chassis and house batteries grounded to the chassis, then run a secondary ground strap from the engine block to the chassis. The engine and trans is mounted on rubber and can not conduct 12 volt electricity properly without wiring it this way.
High resistance won't cook your battery terminals. It may cook the wires but not the terminals. Also depends where the high resistance is.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
I keep forgetting to take my meter to the RV. As an electrician that's the first thing I look for.
I mean no disrespect and apologize if this hurts your feelings but if I were you I would be embarrassed to call myself an electrician.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #232

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
High resistance won't cook your battery terminals. It may cook the wires but not the terminals. Also depends where the high resistance is.

I have to disagree with this- if the high resistance is at the post/connection, it absolutely will heat up the post to the point of cooking it, if the current draw is high enough. Power is what burns the terminal; power = I squared times R (sorry, no math symbols on this keyboard). The battery cable will in fact be cooler than the post in this instance, since there is a voltage drop between post and connection and the wire has lower resistance than the post connection.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Foy

I mean no disrespect and apologize if this hurts your feelings but if I were you I would be embarrassed to call myself an electrician.

I am!!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #234

Sometimes when a person works on something so long a level of frustration sets in and they just want it fixed. They become blinded to what is before their eyes.
Many times another person will look at the situation and see the problem immediately.
This happened many times when I was a mechanic and also when I supervised the mechanics.

It is unusual that the battery terminal is melting, this would seem to indicate a poor connection there.

Is there a mobile mechanic in the area you could come and have him look at your MH? Might be worth the service call just to have him look at it.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #235

Ron, there a lot of people here that want to help you. We need details of everything.

Wire for wire of how each battery is wired. What battery posts are going to ground. Where does each positive post go. What is hooked to the starter motor. Are you getting bored with this project? Once things start falling into place, your attitude with change and you will want to get it moving on it's own. Work with use. None of these meaningless one liners.

While you're tinkering with other stuff, charge the house batteries with your van.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #236

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Once when I was young, I had a car that wouldn't start. Got a friend to come over and try to jump start it to no avail. While sitting there, an older gent stopped by and told us to try again. He noticed some heating at the NEG post and a tiny amount of smoke. Then he took the NEG connector off flipped it then started the car saying " bad connection" and left. I was dumbfounded.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #237

That may have worked, but the connectors and posts are tapered. I would have been making a much smaller contact patch.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #238

Ron, do you own a smartphone? If so, could you record a video of what you are doing and post it so we could see?

Tags
replacement, southwind