Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiM
Ron -- I also have an 89 Southwind.
Could you share your wiring diagram?
Could you email it to me? HeidiLMichaels@aol.com

I'm also having problems starting my rig. Took my all of my batteries out over the winter and stored them (properly). Prior to putting it all back together, we charged the house batteries --- both dead. We brought the chassis battery to the RV -- but can't start it.

Do the house batteries have to be installed to have starting power?
I haven't bought the new ones yet. But we are thinking that maybe the house batteries run the switches -- and perhaps that's why we don't have starting power.
Hi. Well, kind of learning as I go on my RV. Being an electrician, and from what I've learned so far, I'd say no, both batteries do not have to be in to start it. On my RV the house positive cable goes to the power distribution panel under my hood. The sends power to certain items in the house that can or do run on battery power. The positive battery cable of the chassis battery goes straight to the starter relay which, in turn, goes off to the starter. Now I have heard that some RV's do have an emergency function that allows you to switch over to the house batteries to start it in the event that your chassis battery was to die. I don't believe mine has that but maybe your's does. I'm going to be out at my RV tomorrow to do more tinkering. I'll grab my paperwork and get it scanned into my computer to send it. I need to look it over myself anyway. I hope it helps.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #296
VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiM View Post
...I also have an 89 Southwind. Could you share your wiring diagram? I'm also having problems starting my rig...
HeidiM - Mom was a meticulous record keeper, so I have every single manual/paper that ever came with my 89 SW. No general wiring diagrams were included but if you find any let me know!

From how poorly wired this rig was, I suspect the idiots at Fleetwood didn't use a diagram! Although Phreds pages are older and have been mentioned before, I recommend starting with a review these pages before getting in too deep. When you are ready to tackle your entire coach electrical system then digest these pages. The 12V Side of Life is an entire course on how RV electrical systems should be built! Lots stuff here including diagrams for multiple 6V battery conversions (what I did to my SW as part of a 420 watt solar conversion). As they say, knowledge is power and that is certainly true in this case. Best of luck!

NoGas

PS - Did you check your negative engine battery to frame ground cable? As installed from the factory, mine did not have one! But when I installed this simple cable, all of my long standing starting problems disappeared!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #297

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks VP and Ron!

Thanks for the articles -- good place to start.

I'll check my grounds after work! Thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #298

Theoretically at least, all of the chassis wiring is supposed to be in the Chevy Light Truck Service Manual Set. It is typically a 3 volumn set

Note: yy = year
Service Manual (ST-330-yy) - Overall info and R/R procedures
Unit Repair Manual (ST-333-yy) - How to rebuild a component
Wiring Diagrams (ST-350-yy)

88,1988,89,1989,90,1990 Chevy p Manual | eBay

Please note that it was not unusual for a RV mfg to build this years coach on last years chassis. Check the 10th digit of your chassis VIN number to ensure your using the correct information for data and parts.

Much of the information I post comes directly from that type of documentation.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #299

Unhappy The results can be unpredictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiM View Post
Ron -- I also have an 89 Southwind.
(1) Could you share your wiring diagram?
Could you email it to me? HeidiLMichaels@aol.com

I'm also having problems starting my rig. Took my all of my batteries out over the winter and stored them (properly). Prior to putting it all back together, we charged the house batteries --- both dead. We brought the chassis battery to the RV -- but can't start it.

(2) Do the house batteries have to be installed to have starting power?
I haven't bought the new ones yet. But we are thinking that maybe the house batteries run the switches -- and perhaps that's why we don't have starting power.
Hi Heidi,
I'm not Ron but I have a few answers for you.
  1. Many coach manufacturers will send you the diagrams and information you want if you contact them. I got in touch with Fleetwood a few years ago and they sent me wiring and plumbing diagrams/assembly prints.
  2. Sometimes previous owners will change the wiring for no good reason and the results can be unpredictable. You can easily trace the wiring from the chassis battery to make sure the positive goes to the starter and the negative goes to a good ground.
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #300

Ron, did you give up or get it working?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #301

Neither! My wife's ex-husband is coming down from Jersey this weekend to help me out. He knows motors, and I'm picking up the battery and starter this weekend...finally. I was held for the past week. I had some family in update New York get very ill so I went for a visit. Trust me, since I'm the one who started this thread (now over 300 posts), one way or another I'll keep you posted on it. It's just very sssslllllllllooooowwww. We would like it running in time for July 4th. Definitely needs to be running by Pumpkin Chunkin' time.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #302

Now worry, some of us are helping on a similar problem, only reverse. No juice.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #303

Is 303 posts for one thread an iRV2 record? Just a FYI to all you wonderful folks following this thread, I haven't given up yet. The wife dealt me a few other projects. I'm a bit of a guru in fixing iPhones for people (3G or 4) so I had a few to fix. On top of that she wanted to replace our bedroom carpet with bamboo flooring. That's happening now. Then I have to do some electrical work at some condos for a friend. I will be returning to the RV situation next week. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #304

Well hello people! It's been a long time since I've been on here. Not much has changed, unfortunately. I had to take a long break from the RV but I'm back at it again. Here's where I'm at now.

The motor is all replaced and hooked up, as far as I know. All grounds etc. are back on and I've replaced my starter and starter relay. Electrically all seems fine. My interior and exterior lights all work perfectly. I have dash lights and radio, etc. I just can't seem to get the motor to turn over. The starter is getting proper electric to it but won't engage, as was the issue with the last starter. I'm at a complete loss now. I'm at the point where I am willing to have a proper experienced mechanic look at it but he would have to do it where it sits. It seems as though I'm missing something...something simple but important. I've been looking under, over, and around this beast trying to find that missing link but I just don't see anything missing or out of place. It's a mystery, really. So....if there is anyone in or near the Delaware area that is a true mechanic that would be willing to give it a go I'm game. It's getting to the point now where we may have to scrap it and break the news to my autistic son who loves camping. It's seems a shame to come this far just to give it up but it doesn't look good. I'm just not a vehicle mechanic. I can tear apart a jet engine and make it run for years to come but I really don't know anything about the deeper issues of these engines. When I started this endeavor I labeled everything, took photos, took notes, I did everything I was taught to do as a jet mechanic but it wasn't enough. I've missed something and I don't know what it is. I would be forever indebted to anyone who has the Midas touch and could get this thing running. Thanks. I hope everyone has had a great summer?!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #305

Does the starter do anything? Is there a click, whirr, or any sound coming from it at all? I'm wondering if it has an inertia switch on the firewall somewhere that disables the motor, but on second thought that wouldn't affect the starter. You are sure the starter is getting power when you turn the key? Man, this would be completely depressing after all the work you've done. Like you said, it is probably something really simple. On my old Holiday Rambler the fuel pump just quit on the way to the truck center for inspection. Turns out the wire to the pump fell against the exhaust and melted causing a short. Took me two weeks to figure that out. Hope your problem is that simple.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #306

When I turn the key the starter clicks rapid fire. That's all that happens, anywhere. The motor doesn't even twitch. That's all it has ever done...this starter AND the old one. I thought it was a starter issue so I replaced it but I'm getting the same thing.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #307

It sounds like you are getting low voltage. Try cleaning the bat terminals. Make sure the bat has over 12+ volts, maybe charge or replace bat. If voltage is good, turn key on and try to start by jumping across the starter silinoide with a players or wire. Clicking starter means low voltage. Just saying
Old 10-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #308

I'm certainly no mechanic or electrician, but that sounds to me like not enough charge in the battery. I know you have already addressed that issue but that is what mine does when the battery is low on charge.

Tags
replacement, southwind