Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #365
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As Maxwell Smart would have said "the ole nick the radiator trick".
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #366

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. What a great outcome. Thanks for sharing that.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:25 AM   #367

That is AWESOME. It is nice to hear there are good people left in the world. Glad it was an ez fix to get the ol girl running again.

The Mechanic has some good Karma coming his way!
jimzz2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #368

I could not agree more. I just can't believe the old girl is running again. We have about 2 solid days of cleaning her up yet, and some minor tune-up needs to attend to. Otherwise, she's good. After he got her running he told me that I could have tons of money by putting in a 350 instead. Better fuel economy, more power, and less headaches. Now he tells me. I also have to get a 12v deep cycle marine house battery to replace the two 6v batteries that are shot. As soon as I separated the house batteries from the main battery she turned over pretty good. Once he turned the distrib to where it should be it turned over great. The last guy that was "recommended" to wife was the one who messed that up. It just goes to show that people who have the proper training are better (usually) than shade-tree mechanics. I was amazed at the amount of responses I had gotten off of Craig's List. I had gotten 6 responses in the first 12 hours of posting my ad with suggestions. Since my son is autistic he doesn't react to good news the typical way other kids do. He doesn't jump up and down yelling 'yeah.' He starts asking tons of questions like, "So the RV moves now? We can to the mountains again?" I guess that's how he is able to wrap his mind around the news. He was asking so many questions when I told him. All I could do is smile. I knew that meant he was happy and daddy was a hero again. A great feeling. Now, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can remove a broken exhaust manifold bolt from the block when it already has a broken EZ-Out bit in it? That's my next problem.
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #369

Glad to hear it is running again Ron. I figured it was something simple and you learned a few things to boot. Key though is understanding how it all works together.
Can you remove the exhaust manifold so you can get to it or is the head still on the bolt? If you cannot remove the manifold, then you will have to drill the head off so the manifold can be removed. You are going to have to get a very very hard drill bit to drill out the bolt with a ease-out broke off in it. Something like a carbide tipped mortar bit. Sometimes you can breake the section of ease out apart with a hammer and punch. I had a similar situation happen when I did my first engine as a teenager. I have never liked having to use out for this vr=ery reason. If, once the manifold is removed, a section of the bolt is still accessible, then you can try to use a stud remover tool to get the bolt out.

If the manifold is off and the bolt is broke even with the head, then heat (propane torch) and a very very hard drill bit is your only real option. You may have to go large bit and retap the hole afterwards. Be sure to use anti-sieze compound on the replacement stud.
There is a new spray product on the market that freezes the bolt area in an attempt to break the bolt loose. Not sure how well it works.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #370

So , glad that you have figured out most all of your problems. I hope everything is smooth sailing from here on. Have a merry Christmas.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #371

Pretty good tips, Dave. No, the bolt is broken evenly with the head. I had tried in vain to get the bolt prior to putting the manifold back on. Since the easy out broke off and I couldn't drill it I put it all back on and prayed. It's on the corner, aft right. It's throwing sparks so if I don't fix it it surely will blow the gasket right out. Since it has ran for only about 10 minutes total so far I imagine the manifold will come off with little effort. I just really, really don't want to do it. That means removing the tire again and taking the chance of yet another bolt breaking trying remove it. I was hoping I could find the mother of all drill bits and drill the bolt out. Then drill the manifold hole a bit larger so I can re-tap the bolt hole. Then just use a heavy steel washer. Somehow plans like that never seem to work for me, though. Where do you find such a hardened steel drill bit like that? Lowe's and Home Depot are a joke when it comes to serious tools like that. I probably should just make my life easier and take the manifold off. Anyway, I'm still shocked that it started. Like I said before, we were so resolved to the idea that it was over that we actually started calling places to find someone to haul it away at the same time I ran the CL ad. At first the guy said it sounded like it had hydro lock. He flipped the rotor around and it cleared up. Once I cut the neg battery cable connecting the house and main batteries it turned over normally...and started! The dead house batteries were draining the main battery. Who knew? Evidently I nicked the radiator dropping the motor in. I'm going to attempt to solder it in place. I'll just remove the fan. These are all minor things to me now.

On another topic, how many members of iRV2 are there? I've been watching the Connecticut news intently since it broke. I'm devastated. Since they are very young I don't imagine that many of the parents have life insurance on their kids. Funeral expenses are going to be incredible. I was thinking of getting a collection going for them but I don't know how each member could be notified. I also don't know how we would funnel the money to one central point. Any suggestions? I know their pain. My mother was murdered by her boyfriend on December 21, 1999. It made national news. He then killed himself, of course. I feel compelled to do something. What do you all think?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #372
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Usually once you break an easy out you have to drill it out with a diamond tip drill bit.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #373

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Usually once you break an easy out you have to drill it out with a diamond tip drill bit.
Where can I get a high carbon, diamond-tipped drill bit?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #374
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I normally go to my local auto parts store or a nut & bolt place like Fastenal.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #375

Ron, as a retired machinist I have a suggestion. If a good we;\lder can get to it, he can weld a nut to it by welding inside the nut to the broken stud, therfore using a socket to back out the stud. The heat from welding will expand the sourounding head and allow the stud to come out. I have found out the best is heli-arc. Good luck
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #376

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch460 View Post
Ron, as a retired machinist I have a suggestion. If a good we;\lder can get to it, he can weld a nut to it by welding inside the nut to the broken stud, therfore using a socket to back out the stud. The heat from welding will expand the sourounding head and allow the stud to come out. I have found out the best is heli-arc. Good luck
That's an awesome idea. I know exactly what you're talking about. If I can get access to that machine I can do it. I had a step-father who worked for the Pettibone crane company as a welder. He also taught it in college. I know how to do 5 different types of welding...including heli-arc. It will work if there is enough stud sticking out. I'll have to look again. Damn, great suggestion.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
That's an awesome idea. I know exactly what you're talking about. If I can get access to that machine I can do it. I had a step-father who worked for the Pettibone crane company as a welder. He also taught it in college. I know how to do 5 different types of welding...including heli-arc. It will work if there is enough stud sticking out. I'll have to look again. Damn, great suggestion.
I've done this with a mig welder as well and the broken bolt was actually broken off inside of the hole. Good aim along with patients and I was able to get it out. When I removed the broken bolt it looked like the weld actually formed a new bolt with threads as the molten metal pooled up inside the bolt hole. Just don't let the wire hit the surrounding metal.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #378

Did mine but with tig seemed the heat loosened it up best of luck take your time
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, southwind