Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
.... It's just a thought, I seen the pics that Titanic Pilot posted of his removal/ reinstall, but still couldn't dedicate my self to doing it that way. I will be looking forward to seeing how you tackle this.
Good reply! Everybody has to look at their individual situation and take the path that is best for them. My method was only one of several choices.

TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What a great job you and Marilyn have done, May both of you have many trouble free miles....

Jim

Old 08-23-2011, 08:02 AM   #31

Hello everyone! In case some of you are wondering I'm still working on my motor. Since it's only me it's a slow process, especially since I've never replaced a motor on a vehicle before. I spent 8 years in the AF as a Jet Engine mechanic so I'm very mechanically inclined. This also means that when it comes to working on motors I'm very detailed. Another reason it's taking me so long is because I have been meticulously labeling every vacuum line and bolt I remove. I'm also taking a lot of pictures as I go. Not just to post here, but for future reference when it comes time to put the NTM motor in and start installing the accessories. I will admit there was a point when the thought crossed my mind to give it up. My motivation is coming from my 8 yo son who is looking foreword to camping at Pumpkin Chunkin' this fall. The wife also wants to go to the Adirondack's (my childhood stomping grounds) in late September. So I'm pressing on. I'll post the pics once I'm close to completion.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just KEEP plugging at it you will get it done and then the FUN begins.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the major malfunction is cracked heads/gaskets.. Have you considered a minior overhaul (Just replace them) It may be possible to do this without removing the motor, way cheaper than an entire new motor.

Or you could do the major.. (rings, ream the cylinders, new bearings) for just a bit more. I do not know if that will require pulling the block or not however.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
Hello everyone! In case some of you are wondering I'm still working on my motor. Since it's only me it's a slow process, especially since I've never replaced a motor on a vehicle before. I spent 8 years in the AF as a Jet Engine mechanic so I'm very mechanically inclined. This also means that when it comes to working on motors I'm very detailed. Another reason it's taking me so long is because I have been meticulously labeling every vacuum line and bolt I remove. I'm also taking a lot of pictures as I go. Not just to post here, but for future reference when it comes time to put the NTM motor in and start installing the accessories. I will admit there was a point when the thought crossed my mind to give it up. My motivation is coming from my 8 yo son who is looking foreword to camping at Pumpkin Chunkin' this fall. The wife also wants to go to the Adirondack's (my childhood stomping grounds) in late September. So I'm pressing on. I'll post the pics once I'm close to completion.
I felt the same way about a 1969 Chevelle SS 369 I rebuilt. Working full time and rebuilding an engine and driveline isn't for the faint of heart, you have to do it in a motorhome!

Good luck and keep going, the end result will be well worth it!
EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If the major malfunction is cracked heads/gaskets.. Have you considered a minior overhaul (Just replace them) It may be possible to do this without removing the motor, way cheaper than an entire new motor.

Or you could do the major.. (rings, ream the cylinders, new bearings) for just a bit more. I do not know if that will require pulling the block or not however.
That kind of work you'd have to remove the motor, he's doing it the right way and this way he knows the engine will last. If yer gonna do it, might as well go all the way!
EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #36

Rons1985. My motivation is coming from my 8 yo son who is looking foreword to camping at Pumpkin Chunkin' this fall. The wife also wants to go to the Adirondack's (my childhood stomping grounds) in late September. So I'm pressing on. I'll post the pics once I'm close to completion.[/QUOTE]

The Second Amendment Pumpkin chunker is in the town where we live. He has not competed in the last couple of years though.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #37

It is possible to do an "in-chassis" rebuilt on engines, as I have done many of them. In this situation with water in the cylinders I would not recommend it.
These older MHs can be a nightmare to straighten out the lines if they are not reinstalled properly.

Have you decide on the path for removal of the engine? Just curious.
Also recommend at least having the radiator cleaned to protect your new engine.

Good luck and keep at it.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I saw the thread, and have not read the intervening posts. However-I have done what you are considering. It was on an 83 Pace Arrow, P-30 Chassis, with drivers door. Take drivers seat out. Take heads off engine. Use cherry picker to lift the short block out. When you get the block clear of the floor, turn it 90 degrees, and roll the cherry picker back.
Reverse to install new/rebuilt engine.

Now, on that unit, the engine with heads was too wide to come up through the doghouse opening. thus the need to remove the heads. On my current W22, it looks like the 8.1 would clear the doghouse, with heads on. Except, no drivers door! So, measure carefully to see what you can do. What I did with the Pace Arrow, I did by myself. Probably a day and half to disconnect everything and take engine out.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
On the Pace the engine will come out whole, no need to take off the heads.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
On the Pace the engine will come out whole, no need to take off the heads.
J

Keep in mind that was an 83, but you still may be right. I took the heads off to find out what was makeing the noise in the engine, inframe. I may have gone back in with the heads on. Too long ago to remember for sure, other than the heads were off when I took it out.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:22 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post
Keep in mind that was an 83, but you still may be right. I took the heads off to find out what was makeing the noise in the engine, inframe. I may have gone back in with the heads on. Too long ago to remember for sure, other than the heads were off when I took it out.
I pulled the 440 out of a '79 Southwind and two Chevy 454's out of '84 Pace's. Once you get the upper and lower dog house parts off the hole is huge. Left the exhaust manifolds on and took the engines out the streetside mid door. It will just barely make it out.
Just did the Chevies back in '06 when I was young, I was 50!
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #42

Question Decisions, decisions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

We thought about the option to rebuild it in place at first, but:
  1. The big crossmember under the engine prevented us from pulling the oil pan off to get at the crankshaft.
  2. We reasoned that if the engine got that hot, that it would need a lot of work and parts and we still wouldn't know what we had.
Just look at what we found after removing the engine and tearing it down and you'll see that we named her "Titanic" because it looked like something dredged up from the sea....

You can't rebore a block while it is in the chassis. Take a look at this bearing insert to see how hot this engine got.

After we got the engine out, we found a tag on it that said it was a GM remanufactured engine for a pickup truck....

So in the end, our decision to pull the motor and eventually replace it after we saw its condition was the right one for us.

Every situation is different and you have to make some tough choices some times. Our decision meant that we had to keep Titanic to get some of the value back that we put into it. I have to admit that I sometimes look at the great motor homes on this forum and wish we could trade up; but we would take such a bath that we wouldn't have any gas money!

TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, southwind