Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish
on my 1985 454 you time with #5 mark will be under motor on drivers side
You mean the mark is actually on the block itself? I'll need to do some cleaning to find it. The block is filthy.
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #72

timing

Ron, reading along with you as you install the engine. Your timing mark on the harmonic bal. is the cut line that goes across the width of it and then your timing marks on the engine should have been a plate that was bolted with the timing cover. there is a 0 mark and then teeth marks on both side of the 0 mark. they are also marked for the degree of timing. as long as you have the timing chain on correctly if you get the balancer to the 0 you should be TDC. then you can install the distributor. The wire holder may have the number of the cyl. marked on the top. the manifold should have the firing order stampped on it. would ask you go to auto zone and get a chilton book for
cook elandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #73

yes bottom, use # 5 on mine
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #74

more timing

Ron,
Sorry, lost connection. but was starting to say that you can google chevy 454 timing and it will have for one sit on rebuilding 454 with timing and order that you need.
Just keep plugging away and she will purr like a kitten. Make sure that you check out the threads that jim has left on getting the timing done right for that motor.

later.....
Old 09-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #75

Finding TDC
There should be a timing tab on the front of the engine

Here is a car version of a front timing cover with the timing tab at upper right in the picture (drivers side on engine). This variation is for the #1 or #6 cylinder for timing.

Some motor home 454 engines had the timing tab at the #4/#7 position and others, like whem2fish indicated, had the timing tab at the #5/#8 position. When the engine is running and you are setting the timing to it's final value, it does not matter which of the 2 cylinders you use as long as it's the proper pair for the location of the timing tab.

Note: If you left the timing cover on the Suburban engine, then you have to use the harmonic balancer from the Suburban engine so that marks will line up.

The mark on the harmonic balancer (macheined line that cuts across balancer edge) should line up to the "0" degree mark (TDC) on the timing tab. Trick is in knowing which one of the associated pair is supossed to be at TDC. If the pair combination was 1/6 (top right timing tab location), then, for simplicity, you want the #1 cylinder at TDC on compression stroke. That means both valves on the #1 cylinder will be closed. The #6 cylinder will be at the end of the exhaust stroke straring the downward Intake stroke (valves partialy open). Once that position is set, you can stab the distributor with the rotor alligned to the #1 plug position. Setup of the TDC is the same for the other cylinder pairs however when stabbing the distributor you want to align the rotor position up to the cylinder on compression stroke (1, 5, 4, 2).

The confusion you may have is that where the original 454 in the motorhome had the timing mark at positions 5/8 or 4/7, the Suburban engine may be at position 1/6. Principle is the same at each location just different pair combinations.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #76

thanks dave..pic can say more than words sometime
Old 09-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #77

Find a metal coat hanger and straighten it out. Put this in the spark plug hole and watch it until it gets to it upper most point. Then check your balancer. The mark that goes all the way across should be TDC.
I know it is going to be difficult with the engine in, but if all the plugs are out and the belts on you might be able to turn the engine with the alternator pulley nut. Sometimes you have to push on the belts near the alt. to get them to grip enough to turn the engine. The distributor cap is marked for #1 so find where this is and line up the rotor with it. Be aware due to the slant of the dist gear it rotor will move when the dist. is installed.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #78

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-601942513.png
Views:	373
Size:	789.1 KB
ID:	14044

Just thought I'd throw a photo in here if how I had to do it. I went through the driver's door. Amazingly I didn't have to remove the steering wheel. I have more photos on my digital camera. I still have to upload them to the computer. I took this one with my iPhone. One thing is for certain, I will never do this again.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
Attachment 14044

Just thought I'd throw a photo in here if how I had to do it. I went through the driver's door. Amazingly I didn't have to remove the steering wheel. I have more photos on my digital camera. I still have to upload them to the computer. I took this one with my iPhone. One thing is for certain, I will never do this again.
As long as you still have all your fingers and toes, ya' did good! Did you get the timing figured out? Did you replace the TBI with your carb setup? If you did, I might want to buy some of the TBI parts from you for a "science project".
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #80

I haven't done the timing yet. The weather has been crappy the past few days but this is going to be a two person job and I don't have the second person. Right now I'm just putting some of my interior back together. I had planned to take the old motor to the scrap yard but I put it in Craig's List and was able to sell it for $125. I have no clue if that's good or bad but it's better than what I would have gotten for scrap. Now I'm selling the engine lift with the sling for $200. I'll never use it again. We bought it because it was $70 cheaper than renting one for a month. anyone want it? It's good for 2 tons...a half ton fully extended. It held the 454 fully dressed fully extended which I think was about 700 lbs. Now I have have to drill out a manifold bolt that broke off when I took off the old manifolds. Will it ever end?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #81

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a former southwind owner I have been following with great intrest and you have been doing GREAT. It's one step at a time and remember to take your time you make less mistakes that way. Sounds like you have a good plan look forward to more pics.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquest102
As a former southwind owner I have been following with great intrest and you have been doing GREAT. It's one step at a time and remember to take your time you make less mistakes that way. Sounds like you have a good plan look forward to more pics.
Thanks...but I'll feel better when she starts.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #83

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
Thanks...but I'll feel better when she starts.
There is no better feeling than that after ALL the work you have done.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #84

Vintage RV Owners Club
I just came in on the end of the post but i am glad i was able to do my engine out threw the nose of the coach. Was interesting to see what and how you got that motor out of the buggy! Once it comes to life you will say it was worth it! Congrats on the work done on the engine, Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, southwind