Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
Wow, so much information. Ok, I'll answer some queries: First, how did I crank the motor while holding my finger over the #1 hole? Very carefully. I put a socket on a breaker bar and turned the balancer with one hand while holding my finger over the plug hole. I guess I'm talented like that. I'm 6' tall so I have long arms. But in doing that I noticed that it was easy to go past TDC a little. Using only one arm gave little control to stop exactly at TDC. That's why I'm only close but not dead on. Now keep in mind that the motor is now in so turning it isn't quite as easy as it was when it was out. I have a special tool that turns the flywheel using the teeth. I can only turn a quarter at a time though. Second, where did the new motor come from? A Chevy Suburban. It's the exact same block, I just had to swap intake manifolds because mine has a carb and the new one had a throttle body. Then I had to swap accessory brackets. Everything is in place now. I just need to know without a doubt that it's at TDC. Then I believe I can just throw in the distributor and whichever post the distrib lines up with I'll put the #1 wire there and continue around with the firing order. That should do it.
I have a 1984 Winnebago with a 454, our motor homes are probably built on the same Chevy chassis. On my engine there is a single timing mark, which is a deep groove that is perpendicular to the balancer. My engine also has two degreed timing plates. One on the top of the balancer. This one is very difficult to see let alone use a timing light on. The other is on the under side of the engine at approximately 4-5 o'clock when looking directly from the front of the engine . It is very easy to to get to. Either way, finding out the companion cylinders and knowing which cylinder needs to be on top dead center I think is irrelevant. If you are trying to install the distributor the #1 cylinder is the one that needs to be on top dead center. The method you used to find TDC is a good start. Now that you have it in the ball park just stick any available tool that will fit into the spark plug hole and very slowly turn the motor over. You will want to feel to see if the piston is moving up or down. Do this until it reaches it's furthest point towards the top of the cylinder. Now you can verify that the groove in the harmonic balancer is on the "0" mark of the timing plate on top of the balancer. Once this has been completed then you can install the distributor. Once the distributor is installed then I would recommend using the lower timing plate for the timing procedure once the engine is running.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #86

Vintage RV Owners Club
One other thing, If you do that and it pops through the carb or out the tail pipe then you need to pull the distributor and turn it 180 degrees. the reason is that you need to be on the compression stroke but not on the intake stroke. There is two times that the piston on each cylinder is at top dead center. Hope you can get it running today! Let us know, Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Dan
One other thing, If you do that and it pops through the carb or out the tail pipe then you need to pull the distributor and turn it 180 degrees. the reason is that you need to be on the compression stroke but not on the intake stroke. There is two times that the piston on each cylinder is at top dead center. Hope you can get it running today! Let us know, Dan
Thank for the great advice. Right now, though, I'm on a much needed vacation in the mountains of northern Georgia. Mineral Bluff to be exact. It's beautiful here. It's also my wife's 40th birthday today and we are renewing our vows here in the mountains. We've been married ten years, in case anyone wonders. I'll be back to the grind on Friday. I really appreciate the help and advice you and everyone has given me thus far. It's been more helpful than you know.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #88

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Congrats! (again ) Have fun....
Old 09-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #89

happy birth day but im ahead of her my bad
Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #90

Vintage RV Owners Club
Congrats and enjoy the camping!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #91

Quote:
.... It's beautiful here. It's also my wife's 40th birthday today and we are renewing our vows here in the mountains. We've been married ten years, in case anyone wonders....
A great thing to do! We renewed our vows in the Colorado mountains after 30 years; our flower girl was 80. Congratulations on changing your focus for the weekend and remembering the important things....!
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #92

Hi everyone! I know it's been awhile since I last checked in but I've been really busy. Well, I got the NTM motor in and all hooked up now. It's turning over quite well but for some reason I'm now burning up my battery's neutral. I must have something crossed somewhere. I created a new problem, too. I nicked the radiator putting the motor in so now it has a pinhole in it. I'm not sure if it's a copper or aluminum radiator but I think it's aluminum. Any suggestion on how I might fix that without replacing it? That would be a nightmare since I would have to pull the oil cooler out first. It's a very tiny hole, it seems to me there should be a quick fix to that.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #93

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Hi everyone! I know it's been awhile since I last checked in but I've been really busy. Well, I got the NTM motor in and all hooked up now. It's turning over quite well but for some reason I'm now burning up my battery's neutral. I must have something crossed somewhere. I created a new problem, too. I nicked the radiator putting the motor in so now it has a pinhole in it. I'm not sure if it's a copper or aluminum radiator but I think it's aluminum. Any suggestion on how I might fix that without replacing it? That would be a nightmare since I would have to pull the oil cooler out first. It's a very tiny hole, it seems to me there should be a quick fix to that.
Solder the hole with a micro torch.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #94

Thumbs up Choose wisely....

Quote:
....I nicked the radiator putting the motor in so now it has a pinhole in it. I'm not sure if it's a copper or aluminum radiator but I think it's aluminum. Any suggestion on how I might fix that without replacing it? That would be a nightmare since I would have to pull the oil cooler out first. It's a very tiny hole, it seems to me there should be a quick fix to that.
Well, as you well know, opinions are like orifices, everybody has them. With that in mind, I believe that the only reliable way to fix that radiator is to remove it and take it to a radiator shop. If it is aluminum, they will probably junk it. Do you want to risk overheating your new motor just to save a few bucks after all the work you've put in on it?
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2

Solder the hole with a micro torch.
J
What is a micro torch, and where do you get one?
Old 11-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #96
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicPilot View Post
Do you want to risk overheating your new motor just to save a few bucks after all the work you've put in on it?
I have to agree with that especially when it's your money I'm spending
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #97

I repaired a small radiator for an old Honda generator that I had with a micro torch and some welding rod. Every time I put heat on the tank the hole simply got bigger. After about two hours of messing with it I finally got the hole repaired, it wasn't pretty but it worked. If you don't have experience welding, then I would take it to a professional to have the hole repaired. Also this is not something that I would recommend attempting in the vehicle anyways, definitely need to remove it. P.S. a micro torch is a small butane powered torch with a very small precise flame.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #98

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
I repaired a small radiator for an old Honda generator that I had with a micro torch and some welding rod. Every time I put heat on the tank the hole simply got bigger. After about two hours of messing with it I finally got the hole repaired, it wasn't pretty but it worked. If you don't have experience welding, then I would take it to a professional to have the hole repaired. Also this is not something that I would recommend attempting in the vehicle anyways, definitely need to remove it. P.S. a micro torch is a small butane powered torch with a very small precise flame.
Welding rod? Does'nt melt fast enough.
J

GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, southwind