Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #211

I keep forgetting to take my meter to the RV. However, from what I can see it seems as if I have enough power to turn the motor. For some reason that power is not making it to the starter. The starter solenoid is brand new. The relay is also new. I also cleaned all connections. As an electrician that's the first thing I look for. There is one thing about my batteries that seems weird to me. Then again, I'm not up on DC stuff. My house batteries and the engine battery are connected. I have two house batteries that are connected this way. Pos. to the breakers, neg to the other battery pos, and other battery neg to the neg on my engine battery. Then the engine battery pos to starter relay. I didn't know you could connect one battery pos to another battery neg. it was like that before all of my headaches started and everything worked fine. Is this common in MH's?
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #212

At this point, there is only one way your going to obtain some confidence that the battery in the RV is in good condition. Pull it out, take it someplace and get it recharged and tested. The high current issue and then being completely discharged may have damaged the battery. Lead acid batteries simply do not like being totally discharged. If the battery has been damaged, then no amount of van jumper cable charging is going to get you going.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #213

You only connect pos to neg IF you have 2 6VDC batteries. Pos to neg allows 2 6VDC batteries to produce 12VDC.

If they are two 12VDC batteries, then it is pos to pos and neg to neg.

Dave

Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #214

National RV Owners Club
Are you saying that all batteries share the same ground connection at the point where the ground lead is connected to the engine battery?
Teachrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #215

My brain hurts.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief
You only connect pos to neg IF you have 2 6VDC batteries. Pos to neg allows 2 6VDC batteries to produce 12VDC.

If they are two 12VDC batteries, then it is pos to pos and neg to neg.

Dave
I see. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachrz
Are you saying that all batteries share the same ground connection at the point where the ground lead is connected to the engine battery?
Yes.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
My brain hurts.
Lol...your's? I've been swimming in this mess for a year now.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #219

It sounds to me as if I should toss all of my batteries and get all 12v batteries and separate their negs. Or just toss the damn RV.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #220

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ron,

High resistance is probably what's cooking your battery terminals. You should have your chassis and house batteries grounded to the chassis, then run a secondary ground strap from the engine block to the chassis. The engine and trans is mounted on rubber and can not conduct 12 volt electricity properly without wiring it this way.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #221

Ron, exactly how many batteries do you have and what type?

6 volt batteries will usually have 3 hole to fill with water.

12 volt batteries usually have two elongated caps with three holes per cap.

If you only have 12 volt batteries, they should be wired like the picture posted by Dave.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #222

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
At this point, there is only one way your going to obtain some confidence that the battery in the RV is in good condition. Pull it out, take it someplace and get it recharged and tested. The high current issue and then being completely discharged may have damaged the battery. Lead acid batteries simply do not like being totally discharged. If the battery has been damaged, then no amount of van jumper cable charging is going to get you going.

Dave
Dave you nailed it.With mine I had what I thought was a good Interstate,but set for a long time.I feared a short somewhere because it seemed to drain over time.Replaced the battery and needed to drive it.Well I drove it for three months and it never failed me.I can got out now with it setting for over 6 wks and bam it will start.
fleamarketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #223

Also-let us not forget a shorted dead battery will burn a ground cable too,
Old 05-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #224

Most people only have digital voltmeters now that is why I stated 11v. The meter will not respond fast enough to register lower unless the key is held in the start position for awhile. This might melt his battery or cause a fire.

If he has an old analog meter it will read the correct voltage drop. Most good batteries will not drop below 10.5v or so.

I agree he should disconnect the house batteries, take the chassis battery out and get it tested.
This is a WAG, but he did have the engine out. Is the torgue convertor shaft properly aligned in the transmission front pump? I have seen them misaligned and usually you hear a snap when the pump breaks, but not always. An indication when assembling the trans. to the engine is the last 1/2" approx. has to be pulled together with the bolts. The shaft on the torque convertor is notched on opposing sides and the mating projections on the front trans pump slide into these. This can not be seen but has to be felt when installing the torque convertor in the trans. This bonds the engine up and makes it hard or impossible to turn.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, southwind