Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
I pulled the 440 out of a '79 Southwind and two Chevy 454's out of '84 Pace's. Once you get the upper and lower dog house parts off the hole is huge. Left the exhaust manifolds on and took the engines out the streetside mid door. It will just barely make it out.
Just did the Chevies back in '06 when I was young, I was 50!
J

1. I only pulled the normal access cover, did not disassemble the rest of the doghouse.
2. That was the 454, like the OP.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #44

I'm back. I'm still trying to get the motor out. I'm very close but I'm realizing that I have to completely loosen the tranny. That also means I have to remove the driveshaft. My next though was, "Gee, does the fuel tank have to come off, too?" Obviously that's my own sarcasm but it has me frustrated that I am so close to get the motor out and I find out that to get the motor out I have to pull the tranny back. Unless, of course, someone here knows a trick?
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Radiator out, fan clutch off?
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2
J
Check..and check
Old 09-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #48

motor pullin

Hey Ron,
Doing the same and little more with my 85 Elandan. I am able to pull my motor up and out of the doghouse and then out the passanger door. I did remove most of the front of the motor leaving the powersteering pump hanging on the frame. Also removed the transmission for replacement and improvement of a 4 speed.

For your question about the transmission if no other has offered any information. Did you disconnect the transmission and torque converter from the motor and support it with a chain or other support. Then you should be able to slide the motor about inch or so to clear the transmission motor studs. Then you should be able to pull it up through dog house or out the front, which ever way you are going with it. Then if you are doing anything with transmission, it will take the same route, or drop on floor and drag it out.

Have been following this thread and some others and taking lots of notes so when it go back together, have a lot of mods and inprovements to do to mine.

Thanks,
cook elandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook elandan View Post
Hey Ron,
Doing the same and little more with my 85 Elandan. I am able to pull my motor up and out of the doghouse and then out the passanger door. I did remove most of the front of the motor leaving the powersteering pump hanging on the frame. Also removed the transmission for replacement and improvement of a 4 speed.

For your question about the transmission if no other has offered any information. Did you disconnect the transmission and torque converter from the motor and support it with a chain or other support. Then you should be able to slide the motor about inch or so to clear the transmission motor studs. Then you should be able to pull it up through dog house or out the front, which ever way you are going with it. Then if you are doing anything with transmission, it will take the same route, or drop on floor and drag it out.

Have been following this thread and some others and taking lots of notes so when it go back together, have a lot of mods and inprovements to do to mine.

Thanks,
I would be curious to know how your 3speed-4speed conversion goes and how much of a mpg improvement it makes. I am debating on whether or not to do it on mine.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #50

Wow, it sounded like you were here with me yesterday while I was pulling my motor out. I had to do the exact same thing with my ps pump. I do have a question about the ps system. I was studying it before I disconnected it. It looks like the ps and brakes are an all-in-one system. Is that right? If it is, I wonder what fluid type is used. The reservoir is in a very inconvenient location...right under the driver's seat. I can get to it but I'll have to use a funnel with a hose on it. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to put the NTM motor in until Saturday. The valve cover gaskets won't be in until Friday. I had to swap covers because the oil filler is different on mine. In the mean time I'm going to try to get the timing set today. I'm a little shaky on that part. The firing order is right on the intake manifold. I know I have to get #1 at TDC on compression. I believe once I have that I can just drop the distributor back in and hook up the wires. I just hope I can remember where everything goes.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
Wow, it sounded like you were here with me yesterday while I was pulling my motor out. I had to do the exact same thing with my ps pump. I do have a question about the ps system. I was studying it before I disconnected it. It looks like the ps and brakes are an all-in-one system. Is that right? If it is, I wonder what fluid type is used. The reservoir is in a very inconvenient location...right under the driver's seat. I can get to it but I'll have to use a funnel with a hose on it. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to put the NTM motor in until Saturday. The valve cover gaskets won't be in until Friday. I had to swap covers because the oil filler is different on mine. In the mean time I'm going to try to get the timing set today. I'm a little shaky on that part. The firing order is right on the intake manifold. I know I have to get #1 at TDC on compression. I believe once I have that I can just drop the distributor back in and hook up the wires. I just hope I can remember where everything goes.
I forget, which way were you taking out the motor?

By the way, the brake master cylinder under the seat gets brake fluid and the power steering reservoir (Look for it...) gets power steering fluid as I recall. I'm not close to my shop manual right now so I can't look it up....
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicPilot
I forget, which way were you taking out the motor?

By the way, the brake master cylinder under the seat gets brake fluid and the power steering reservoir (Look for it...) gets power steering fluid as I recall. I'm not close to my shop manual right now so I can't look it up....
Ok, then. Where in the heck is the ps reservoir? I'm used to the pump doubling as the reservoir as well. I'll have another look. I'm going to be putting the NTM motor in tomorrow or Saturday. My valve cover gaskets came in early...yeah!
Old 09-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #53

Having worked on jet engines for 8 years I'm usually very thorough. However, I made a HUGE mistake yesterday. I wish I had a better excuse but it was mainly due to being rushed. I removed the accessory brackets off of the old motor and began putting them on the new motor. Ok, can anyone guess right here where I went wrong? I didn't take a picture of their setup first. I can't remember how they were. I have two on that I know are correct. But I still need to put on the brackets for the alt (sits high and right), upper smog pump (sit high and center), and lower smog pump ( sits low and right). This is standing at the rear of the motor looking foreword. I don't know if that is how you reference a motor but it's how you reference an aircraft. Would anyone happen to have a photo of this setup for a southwind? I know I think I have a better chance of seeing Jesus in my livingroom in a toga but I thought I'd give it a shot.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 89 Southwind, with a 460. I could take pictures for you.
I also have a spare 429 sitting in my garage, and a 460 in one of my vehicles.
So if we have the same set up, I can help you with the brackets.

hmmm. I'm sure I do not have a smog pump on any of my engines....
HeidiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
Ok, then. Where in the heck is the ps reservoir? I'm used to the pump doubling as the reservoir as well. I'll have another look. I'm going to be putting the NTM motor in tomorrow or Saturday. My valve cover gaskets came in early...yeah!
Here's mine:
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicPilot
Here's mine:
Ahhh...thank you. Mine is in the same place.

Tags
replacement, southwind