Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #1

1989 Southwind Steering

Hey everyone. My wife and I are new to RVing. We just pruchased a 1989 Southwind 34 foot. The question I have is there is some movement in the steering column when you hit bumps and rough road. The steering reaction is not effected but the whole shaft moves side to side. Is this normal? I just replaced the steering stabilizer shock. Any help would be great, Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2015, 05:37 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you mean the steering column or the shaft that goes down through the steering column?

Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:10 AM   #3

I would say "no".

We have an 89 Southwind and I've never noticed any movement in the steering column. There is a big U-bolt which holds the column in place about halfway between floor and steering wheel. Is this in place on yours?
Old 03-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, there is a clamp holding the steering column like yours.

So yes, I have movement in our MH steering shaft. As you said, the steering is not effected, but there is considerable steering wheel shaking. The rougher the road the more pronounced the shaking. I smoke and have had a cigarette jarred right out of my hand. I had my mechanic look it over, and everything seems to be OK, it is just something inherent to the Chevy truck chassis of that era.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

To all The column that goes through the floor seems to be tight with no movement. But when I go over bumps (in Louisiana that's most of the road) the steering wheel vibrates left to right.

Tags
southwind, steering