RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
1989 Tiffin Allegro Remodel Thread

Hello everyone!

I have posted a few times before but I decided to start an official thread to track the remodeling and preparing of my new-to-me 1989 Tiffin Allegro 31B.

To start I honestly jumped head first into this thing with very little knowledge. My wife and I are long time RVers but we have always used a 16ft Aristocrat Lo-Liner travel trailer towed behind my Honda Ridgeline. This has been an awesome way to travel in the comfortable months but when it gets cold not having dedicated heat or a bathroom is a problem. We also have 2 dogs that travel with us and we are fosters for our local humane society so we wanted something that would have enough room to travel with our dogs and whatever fosters we may have. This necessitated more room and the retirement of our little canned ham trailer (It's for sale in Birmingham, AL if anyone is looking to go that route it is a good start to a remodel or to be used as is!)

I was looking specifically for a Tiffin for a few reasons. The Allegros of this time period are extremely well built. With aluminum framing, siding, and roofing. I wanted a P30 chassis because I am way more knowledgeable in Chevrolet drive train and I wanted the 19.5" wheels instead of the 16" wheels. I also wanted a basement model mainly because they look col but also the extra headroom works well for me and my wife because we are both over 6' tall.

The Allegro we purchased I found on Facebook marketplace for $3000 but the transmission needed reverse. Knowing what I know about the TH400 I knew this usually meant 3rd was gone too but I was hoping (naively) that I could limp it the 3 hours home where I could work on it. Unfortunately when I got there it was done in all forward gears and a nice surprise all 4 calipers were locked up!

I offered the gentlemen $3000 plus his help with me getting it moving in his yard. I purchased all the new brake lines which sorted the brakes out and I found a transmission from a motorhome that had a tree fall on it that had been rebuilt in the last year and had the paperwork for the rebuild. I paid $400 for the transmission and opened it up to find it had the straight cut gears! We put the transmission in the RV in his driveway and I drove it home.

I admit I did very little research and though the tires looked good they had a man. date of 2009. I was very lucky that I drove this thing from Columbus, GA to Birmingham, AL trouble free! My .02 is to do more reading than me before you buy.

Now it is in my driveway and I am making a list of what I want done and a goal date to have it done. Below is my preliminary list. My goal is to have this thing ready to go in 6 months for our first test trips in order to use it to drive Route 66 in the fall.

Mechanical Needs:
  • Replace all 6 tires
  • Replace both house batteries (completed)
  • Reseal roof
  • Replace speedometer cable
  • rebuild carburetor and have adjusted
  • repair driver window regulator (or replace)
  • check propane system and figure out why furnace won't blow heat
  • Test A/C (waiting until its not 10 degrees outside)
  • Change oil in generator
  • replace generator fuel filter and pump
  • test generator
  • reseal all exterior windows
  • Test all appliances replace what is needed.
Cosmetic Needs:
  • Fix interior water damage
  • Wash, buff, and wax exterior
  • replace missing exterior decals
  • Replace awning fabric
  • replace gas stove with gas stove and oven combo
  • replace convection oven with microwave
  • replace sink fixtures in kitchen and bathroom
  • reseal shower and replace fixtures
  • replace vent fans in vents
  • replace curtains and blinds (all are sun damaged)
  • reupholster interior cushions (my mom is an amazing seamstress which makes this feasible)
  • replace counter tops with either granite or stainless
  • replace table with something better looking
  • clean refridge and ice maker and check for function
  • good interior deep cleaning.
  • replace carpet with EVP flooring
My goad is to do much of the labor myself and just buy materials. I think if I can get all of this done for less than $3000 I am still sitting really well as far as the RV is concerned. I have seen a few of these in really good shape sell for over $10000. That being said our goal is not to resell but to make this thing reliable enough and nice enough to serve as our travel companion for the next 10+ years. We could afford to buy a newer RV but I love vintage stuff and I love the conversations we have when we roll into a campground with something out of the ordinary!

This looks to be a good long adventure for us but we are looking forward to making this RV exactly what we want it to be!

I will keep this updated as I make improvements and I will ask any questions I have or bring any questions I have in the hope that you guys will help me as much as you have already! I am also working to scan in the literature I have since it was all still with the RV so anyone else working on one of these or similar can have the documentation they need!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180102_100826_HDR.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	483.4 KB
ID:	187533   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180102_100843_HDR.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	187534  

Name:	20180102_100856.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	187535   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180102_100907.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	187536  

Viciousharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Going to add a few more posts to get all the pictures up!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180102_100937_HDR.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	187537   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180102_101159_HDR.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	187538  

Name:	20180102_101216.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	187539   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180102_101244_HDR.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	187540  

Old 01-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Last one!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180102_101205.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	187541   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180102_101231.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	187542  

Name:	20180102_102005_HDR.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	187543   Click image for larger version

Name:	171120_200041_COLLAGE-1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	187544  

Old 01-02-2018, 08:58 PM   #4

Enjoyed your story/pictures

I agree with you about the quality in older rigs. Keep us posted on your repairs/updates.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:11 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
I agree with you about the quality in older rigs. Keep us posted on your repairs/updates.
Will do! My first job is resealing the roof. I have all the materials but it is 18 degrees in Alabama right now so I'm going to wait until it warms up!
Old 01-03-2018, 07:37 AM   #6

awesome opportunity for tutorial!

i'm impressed with your abilities and willingness to take on a challenge!
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:06 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
She'll be beautiful when you are done. Nice job.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok we are in the 40's this weekend so I can get some work done! Goal 1 is to get the genset running! I replaced the fuel pump like an amateur only to find I have no power going to the fuel pump. Trying to figure that one out.

I also found my RV has 2 suburban furnaces. One just does the bedroom and the other does the rest. Since the RV is only 31ft with no slides this seems over kill. Neither furnace works. 1 the blower works but it doesn't produce heat and the other heats but the blower is dead. I'm thinking of pulling both out and making one good furnace out of the two bad ones.

Work day is tomorrow! I'll ad pictures or any helpful info I find out!

All input is greatly appreciated!

Tags
tiffin, remodel, allegro