Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #1

1989 Winnebago wall construction.

Does anyone have any pictures of a Winnebago stripped to the frame? I am trying to get a real good idea of what this looks like so I know how far to go on mine. I have a lot of delamination which I guess is from the insulation swelling and pushing the side out. I would think you could cut that out from the inside and re-glue the siding and them re-foam the space or just use a more conventional insulation. I am obviously not going to replace a whole side!

Also, on the passenger side at the gasoline fill door you can see a different shade of color, that is a metal plate that goes from the accent stripe down to the molding and from just under the "i" in Chieftain to just forward of the canopy leg. Is this a factory piece? I am going to pull it for no other reason than to reseal it but I would like to know why it is there ahead of time if possible.
After one of the worst winters in many, many years it is finally starting to get above freezing during the day so I can start to work on it again.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0280-2.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	56547  

rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Had a 1990 Chieftain, Over years it had some minor Delamination. Also had the coloring issue, on the bottom cabinet to the point I had them All repainted. Big thing to check for is water leaks. Check the Roof Sealant especially in the area in question. Check all screws, I have seen rusted screws allowing water leak. My biggest area were screws in the awning rail.

You might Google - Delamination for some ideas on cures.

cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #3

I have the leaks identified and I am addressing them. Most were window leaks. The awning screws are a good point and I will reseal them also. The coloration I was talking about was t describe the metal panel on the outside of the body. You can see the edges of it on the picture. I wanted to see if this was standard or if Someone cut out a section of the body and put this in for some reason.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #4

Repairing wall delamination

We did extensive wall repairs on our 1990 25ft. HiLo Classic. Don't be afraid to rip the wall apart from the inside until you reach dry wall areas. Use a fan/Heater to dry the fiberglass out. Next we used 3M bondo to seal the inner fiberglass. We purchased this at an industrial paint supply store. I have also seen this at Auto Zone. Read and follow all directions. Have all windows open and use an industrial respirator. It takes several days for the smell to go away. Use a disposable paintbrush to apply. This will give the wall a shiny hard waterproof finish. Use some foaming insulation at the edges if necessary. Then fill the wall with rigid insulation. Use heavy duty liquid nails to bond layers together. Use 1/8 paneling for your top layer. We found a floor roller to be extremely helpful in pressing the layers together. If you have a lot of walls to do it might pay to have a company come and spray the walls with insulation or rent a machine and do it your self. Our repairs were done two yrs. ago and we are dry. I would strongly advise you to take out all your windows and reseal. You tube has a video on how to do this. Any screws that a rusty or somewhat loose should be replaced with stainless steel screws. I know this is a lot of work. It will pay big dividends in the long run. Your coach looks nice and with a little TLC will serve you well. Does Winebago have a # you can call for technical advice? A good caulk to use for window resealing is Lexel caulk. Do the window resealing in the better weather. Let me know if I can be of further help to you.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:53 PM   #5

There is a Winnebago info website that shows all of the sales brochures for every year and model ever built and I do specifically remember it had your unit with a stripped down picture. Google Winnebago specification, I was looking for my holding tank sizes and found it
Old 02-21-2014, 04:42 AM   #6

I'm in the process of finishing up repairing delamination on a 1989 Winnebago Elandan. I had the wall stripped to the frame with the outer skin in place. I photographed almost every step of the way - I just haven't had any time to process any of it.

The insulation is foam core and doesn't expand, but the glue lets go. There are steel reinforcement plates glued to the outside wall that rust, and they make a mess of the outside wall. When the outside wall gets wet, it appears to expand somewhat, but I managed to get my skin back in shape fairly well. The frame itself is aluminum and should still be in good shape.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
I'm in the process of finishing up repairing delamination on a 1989 Winnebago Elandan. I had the wall stripped to the frame with the outer skin in place. I photographed almost every step of the way - I just haven't had any time to process any of it.

The insulation is foam core and doesn't expand, but the glue lets go. There are steel reinforcement plates glued to the outside wall that rust, and they make a mess of the outside wall. When the outside wall gets wet, it appears to expand somewhat, but I managed to get my skin back in shape fairly well. The frame itself is aluminum and should still be in good shape.
Steel is a word I did not want to hear! Now I can understand why it is pushed out and the residue I see once in a while falling out of the seam. Is there any way you could e-mail me the pictures?

Rick
Old 02-21-2014, 07:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
Steel is a word I did not want to hear! Now I can understand why it is pushed out and the residue I see once in a while falling out of the seam. Is there any way you could e-mail me the pictures?

Rick
I'll try to find you some good pics this weekend.

The job itself isn't bad - just takes patience. The worst part for me was getting the contoured sides of the Elandan right.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #9

Delamination rusty metal

We used rustoleum primmer and rust oleum paint on our rusty metal frame before we added the insulation and paneling. This is something that would have been done if we sent it back to the professional repair shop. This will prevent the rust from seeping out.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure of where to look in the pictures for the metal.... If it is the straight line down (seam) it appears maybe work has been done before. I did not have a line or separation in my coach. Can you add a closer pic? See pics of site below.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...eftain-bro.pdf

https://www.google.com/search?q=1989...px%3B640%3B480
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #11

The house frame in the Winnebago is aluminum and doesn't rust. It's the awning support that rusts. It's just steel glued to the outside wall, and it doesn't appear like it received any treatment at the factory. I replaced it with galvanized to avoid any future problems.

I fixed the entire passenger wall from the cab to the entry way and it came out fairly straight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AluminumFramingAndOutsideWallDamage.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	56694  
Old 02-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #12

I think I can speak for us all, lets see all of the pictures. I don't know of too many of us that don't have some delamination going on. If I ever get to retire I may tackle that job.

Tags
winnebago