Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
1990 1/2 Fleetwood Bounder Starting HELP

Hello - I am so glad I found this site and hope someone can help me.

I have a 1990 1/2 Fleetwood Bounder 34 foot 454 Chevy

The issue is the other day I went to start it and it sounded like the battery was not enough to start it ( just clicked )

So replaced all 3 batterys (still same click)
Replaced Starter ( still same click )
Then we found what appears to be a ground wire that looked burnt in far front driver side above batteries. We connected a new wire to ground screw and other end of wire and then got the engine to turn once and then the wire burnt again.

This wire looks like it goes down to a ground of wire in a white plug and then into the unit.

Have never had any issue before and RV has not moved since the last starting of it a few weeks ago.

Any Ideas?

Also I read something about a small start relay but can not fine any info on what it looks like or where to get one.

Thanks for any and all help...

Lakesideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a tendency to forget the importance of the battery negative ground wire circuit located on every electrical device on a motorhome.

The age of the motorhome is telling you to remove all major negative ground wires from the frame & engine etc, & power wire brush all mating surfaces and apply a protective grease, Vaseline, or dielectric silicone before bolting them back together. The same can be done for the frame ground wires for the gas tank & any other ground wires that you find.

The smaller burnt negative wire was trying to complete the ground circuit for the starter.

1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Try taking a jumper cable from the engine to the frame and see if it starts. ( clean the spots where they come in contact.) I have a 1990 Chevy PU that just grunted when you tried to start it. It eventually would not turn over, the grounding strap from the engine to the frame was rotted away. Replaced it with a heavy duty strap that I had and all was good.
1990 28' Georgie Boy, 454, 4bbl, Thorley Headers, Recurved Distributor, 8.75 mpg. RVM 76
BA-in-Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey, we have the same motorhome. I also have a 1990 1/2 Fleetwood Bounder 34 S Chevy 454. However, I haven't had that problem and don't think I can help but let me know if you want to see how mine is set up or something.
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome to the forum! Did you get it worked out?
Steve, Mary & Buddy our 2-year-old Chihuahua mix
1995 36' HR Endeavor, 460 w/Banks, 2005 PT Cruiser
Fulltimers originally from Michigan, hanging out in Oregon for a spell.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
Lakeside...I have an older series of Bounders too...grounding is an issue in mine also...I go through hoops to keep my battery grounds clean... but i agree with you that there might be something deeper in your unit. Do you know where your BCC is located? I believe you have one like mine and there are two solenoids in that housing.... one for the engine battery and one for the house batteries.... sometimes these get stuck....

Craig Gosselin
1994 Fleetwood 33H
1995 Fleetwood 30H (parts vehicle)
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote

bounder, fleetwood