Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
1990 Allegro Questions

Hello all,

I'm a new owner of a really clean 1990 Allegro 31' basement model. 53K miles. The owner I bought her from was 82 years old, owned it for 6 years but didn't really use it much so he could not tell me much about how to do some things on the coach.

Hopefully someone here will be able to help. My questions, at the moment, are:

1) How do I drain the fresh water tank?

(I did find a valve under the kitchen sink area. With the pump on, when I open it, the pump runs but I cannot tell where the water is being pumped to!?. My old Sportscoach would simply dump the water tank on the ground after opening up it's drain valve. The seller did not know how to drain the tank either so he kept a heater in the rig during winter so it wouldn't freeze. Who knows how old that water is!?).

2) This model has a of what appear to be original air horns on the roof. I've seen other Allegros with the same horns on them. I can't find a button anywhere that blows them. The horn button on the steering wheel blows a regular horn. I don't see an air compressor for them either. Anyone know how these horns work?

3) Does anyone know a good way to test the electric radiator fans to see if they're working? I don't think they are. Any idea on where the thermostat would be for them?

I have the manual for the rig, but it is very vague with no details. Kind of like a generic manual for several models and floorplans, so any info would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Tom
Flat4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
draining water

I'm just browsing, hoping to be able to help somebody, and ran across your problems. I don't know anything about your type of motor home, but I'm guessing that if you open a faucet into the sink and let the pump run, it will run all the water out of the fresh tank into the grey water tank, and then you can dump it. I have the same situation as you do with the air horns...mine don't work either, and I've never tracked down why. You may be able to back track on the fan wires to locate where they connect on the engine. There should be a 2 prong sending unit screwed into a water passage somewhere on top of the engine.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the reply. Just last night I was bound and determined to find out how to drain the fresh water tank. I tried several things with the valve I found inside a kitchen cabinet, no dice. Finally I went out and into a side storage area that contains the coach water pump and where I can see the tank. I followed the output pipe to the water pump. A heater duct was on top of the pipe, so I moved it a bit and there it was!

A small valve before the cabin water pump. Open it up and out the water came! Heaven knows how old that water was. The PO did not know how to drain the tank either so he left water in there. Kept it from freezing in the winter with a heater running in the coach.

Next, cooling fans...

Tom
'90 Allegro 31'
Flat4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #4

Keep looking for another low point drain. I have a Holiday Rambler, it has a drain for the fresh water tank and another low point drain for the plumbing. Sometimes it's easier to find them to look up from the bottom for the drain hose(s).

The fans probably operate to move air over the ac coils at low speed. Try turning it on and see if they don't start.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #5

I had a '92 Allegro with two horns on the roof that looked like air horns. They were electric. Mine would sometimes sound, most times not. They were wired up to the same small electric horn behind the grill. Are you sure yours are air horns? You should see a small plastic air tube connected to the horns if they are real air horns. Most likely they are electric. You will see a small wire connected to each one if they are. I'd use a test light/probe. First check the small horn that works behind the grill. Most often they are wired up so they are hot all the time and pushing the horn button on the steering wheel will ground out the horn. Check the two terminals and see if you have hot. Then push the horn button and it should honk. Now go up on the roof there and see if one of the terminals is hot. If not then try honking the horn (maybe you want to unplug one of the terminals from the other horn so it doesn't keep honking during this testing) while probing the terminals to see if you get a hot wire. If you get hot all the time and the horn doesn't honk you could check the other terminal with an ohm meter. When you push the horn button that terminal should show 0.00 checking with the other ohm meter probe touching a good ground.

I really liked my '92. They made them well.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I owned a '86 Allegro and the rad fans are attached to a sensor in the upper rad hose. The two wires that go to the fans, one is a ground and the other is the power feed that goes through the sensor. After you know which is which, hook a hot feed to the wire that's not the ground and the fans will run (I'm praying for you). Be sure that the ground is hooked up. My fans needed a "nudge" with a screwdriver and then they worked just like they should.

Let us know how it works.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #7

IF those fans are like mine. There is a trinary switch on the A/C line that triggers the fans in a slow moving no moving condition. Pressure build up an turns the fans on. The relay to mine has 12 volts on it all the time when the ignition switch is on and when the trinary switch triggers it runs the other side of the relay to ground which turns on the fans. When I was using a test light to see where I could put an over ride switch there was a low enough resistance in the bulb that triggered the relay. My relay is located on the fan brackets.