Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #1

1990 bounder P30 with Chevy 454 Starting Problems

Help! 454 Chevy TBI quit running while idling. Injectors sprayed for a while then quit also. We replaced the ECM, ignition switch, oil temp sending unit and fuel filter. Fuel pump makes noise then shuts off like it is supposed to after a few seconds.

Voltage at fuse block for ECM ignition and ECM Bat is not 12 volts but all other voltages at fuse block are 12 Volts.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for 1990 bounder with Chevy 354 or knowledge in this area. We plan on checking fuel flow and pressure today.

The ECM is getting no 12 volt power that we can tell and when we hook up the OBD is says ECM not responding.
chilibeerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #2

if you changed the ECM you need to have it programed by a dealer. It will not run, they are not a plug and play item.
markndeb1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #3

The ECM does not need to be programmed by a dealer. Not on a 1990.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilibeerman View Post
Help! 454 Chevy TBI quit running while idling. Injectors sprayed for a while then quit also. We replaced the ECM, ignition switch, oil temp sending unit and fuel filter. Fuel pump makes noise then shuts off like it is supposed to after a few seconds.

Voltage at fuse block for ECM ignition and ECM Bat is not 12 volts but all other voltages at fuse block are 12 Volts.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for 1990 bounder with Chevy 354 or knowledge in this area. We plan on checking fuel flow and pressure today.

The ECM is getting no 12 volt power that we can tell and when we hook up the OBD is says ECM not responding.
Jumping A and B will give you a manual way to obtain codes. You'll have to count the flashes. It will start with code 12 and go 3 times, then all the other codes will flash 3 times and end with code 12 again to let you know there are no more codes.
Code 12 is normal.
However, if you're getting the initial fuel pump run and stop you may have a problem with the distributor. The computer needs crank signal to run the fuel pump. Typically on this ignition system, the distributor module, pickup coil, and main shaft (with magnetic weight) are all prone to fail after time. I've dealt with 100s of these failures as a mechanic.
If you can use a scanner and see if you have cranking RPM that would definitely help.
But first things first, do you have the "service engine soon" light illuminating with the key on? If not you need to start there. There is a fusible link that supplies voltage to the computer and sometimes just corrodes or breaks over time.
I can definitely help but I'd need to know in more detail how and why you've replaced the pieces you have so far. And what diagnostic tools you have to test (scanner, test light, mult-meter, stuff like that...).
Let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	obd1.gif
Views:	972
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	18980  
Old 03-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #5

I do not have the wiring diagrams but if you have to get the manuals (GM Light Truck) they are a 3 volume set.

Service Manual

Unit Repair Manual:

Wiring Diagrams:

Typically available om EBAY:
1990 Chevrolet light truck manual | eBay

Make sure you get the Service and Wiring Diagrams that have the "P" in the title.

Quote:
Jumping A and B will give you a manual way to obtain codes. You'll have to count the flashes. It will start with code 12 and go 3 times, then all the other codes will flash 3 times and end with code 12 again to let you know there are no more codes.
Code 12 is normal.
If he is not getting power to the ECM will he even be able to do that?

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #6

Dave,
I'm not exactly sure he's getting power, but that's one way of finding out.
Besides that, even if he's able to get codes, they probably won't be of any significance to why it there's not injector pulse or fuel pump operation. The monitoring systems on an OBDI system aren't as intricate as the newer computer systems.
We just need to know IF that manual way works at this point.
Gary

PS - I have all the illustrations and literature in the books that Dave posted above and can send copies if needed.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauto5150 View Post
Code 12 is normal.
However, if you're getting the initial fuel pump run and stop you may have a problem with the distributor. The computer needs crank signal to run the fuel pump. Typically on this ignition system, the distributor module, pickup coil, and main shaft (with magnetic weight) are all prone to fail after time. I've dealt with 100s of these failures as a mechanic.
If you can use a scanner and see if you have cranking RPM that would definitely help.
But first things first, do you have the "service engine soon" light illuminating with the key on? If not you need to start there. There is a fusible link that supplies voltage to the computer and sometimes just corrodes or breaks over time.
I can definitely help but I'd need to know in more detail how and why you've replaced the pieces you have so far. And what diagnostic tools you have to test (scanner, test light, mult-meter, stuff like that...).
Let me know!
Thanks we plan to check the 2 second fuel pump run to see is that is happening. If that occurs then on to the next step. We are NOT getting power to the ECM. We changed the oil temp sender because we were getting up and down readings on the gauge when it was running. The ignition switch was not getting a ground on G2 so we replaced it. If you could e-mail the wiring diagrams that would really help. We have most of the diagnostic tools. When we use starting fluid it will start and die. What part of the distributor system would go bad to cause no fuel pump?

Thanks everyone. We are not novices but this one has us stumped.

Ed
Old 03-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #8

We are not getting the check engine light with key on.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #9

Quote:
We are not getting the check engine light with key on.
my e-mail address is chilibeer@cox.net
Old 03-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks we plan to check the 2 second fuel pump run to see is that is happening. If that occurs then on to the next step. We are NOT getting power to the ECM. We changed the oil temp sender because we were getting up and down readings on the gauge when it was running. The ignition switch was not getting a ground on G2 so we replaced it. If you could e-mail the wiring diagrams that would really help. We have most of the diagnostic tools. When we use starting fluid it will start and die. What part of the distributor system would go bad to cause no fuel pump?

Thanks everyone. We are not novices but this one has us stumped.

Ed
OK, if it starts and dies with starting fluid then the distributor is OK. It wouldn't run at all if the pickup coil was bad, there wouldn't be any ignition.
I've sent you a connector view of the computer. You'll see a pink/black wire and an orange wire. Those are your main power inputs on the computer. I'd check those first along with the couple of grounds (which are black/white wires). If you're lacking any of those, jump them to a ground or power source and see if it starts. I'm guessing the orange wire has lost it's power.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ecmwiring.gif
Views:	9359
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	19082  
Old 03-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Just a thought here, but have you checked the ECM relay? They are usually located in or around the fusebox and are pretty generic. A good way to test is to pull a known working one (like the A/C) and swap them around.
Like I said, it's just a thought and I know electrical gremlins can be very irritating!
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #12

Latest news. After a day of tracing wires I cleaned up a ground wire going to some kind of circuit board that is attached to the start solenoid. I asked my brother-inlaw to crank it and it sprayed fuel and the check engine light came on while cranking. It tried to start then died and we could not replicate what just happened. Does anyone know what the circuit board controller is? It is made by a company named Intellitec.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #13

Pictures of circuit board
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Circuit board.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	19238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	19239  

Old 03-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #14

I believe that is the board for starting and operating your generator. I don't think that has anything to do with your issue.

Tags
bounder