Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #1

1990 Gulfstream sun clipper

Took our maiden ride from Longview to Dallas(est 127 each way) for mother's cancer treatment and to see what needs attention/retrofitting. Whew, there are some issues. Does anyone have suggestions on: updating seatbelts to 3point restraints for front seats? window rattles on the breakfast nook and sofa areas. Pressing on the glass didn't seem to have much effect. We are replacing the sub floor and using a vinyl sheet-type covering, is there something we could apply first to reduce road noise? Is there a product we could apply between the coach and the cielings of storage compartments too? The coach seemed very noisy--had to shout.lol I am so new to RVing that these questions may seem stupid, please bear with me while I learn
honeyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #2

I also have a 1990 Sun Clipper. I don't have any answers for you as I have yet to take mine anyplace, It's still a work in progress. Did you try locking the windows? I redid the entire front "cabin" area of mine with heavy felt floor insulation and new carpeting. I also remade the doghouse, a little taller with heavier insulation. I hope that keeps it quiet! What kind of mileage did you get? We need to form a Sunseeker club!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2014.JPG
Views:	689
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	27945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2172.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	27946  

Name:	IMG_2168.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	885.8 KB
ID:	27947   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen concept.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	27948  

PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

Wow wish you the best I live south of fort wort but I'm in Henderson now if you need help I'm out here all the time
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
I also have a 1990 Sun Clipper. I don't have any answers for you as I have yet to take mine anyplace, It's still a work in progress. Did you try locking the windows? I redid the entire front "cabin" area of mine with heavy felt floor insulation and new carpeting. I also remade the doghouse, a little taller with heavier insulation. I hope that keeps it quiet! What kind of mileage did you get? We need to form a Sunseeker club!
I LOVE what you did with the cabinets/counter top! I haven't re done the captain's chairs yet other than major steam cleaning. Have the floor yet to do also. Today we put some foam strips in the window frame to add some pressure on the windows while closed. There was alot of play up and down in them. Haven't road tested our experiment yet but it had to help.
As for the mileage, We filled up as we left drove from Longview to Murphy with half a tank left. Sorry, best I can do and Mike isn't here right now lol.
what was under the pink carptet? Did you have to screw the sub floor into metal?
We has some serious cross winds Saturday night coming home!! Holy Cow, it was a ride to be sure!!
Old 10-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Wow wish you the best I live south of fort wort but I'm in Henderson now if you need help I'm out here all the time
My sister lives in Henderson, small world. Thanks for the offer.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #6

Quote:
How did you get the sofa cushions back on that bracket? Did you install the cushions then re attach the brackets? Mike removed the whole section due to water damage so he thought we should attach the brackets then replace the cushions---major impossible AND we got them on upside down. Somehow our marriage survived but cushions still need to be swapped.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:09 AM   #7

Unscrew the sofa from the floor/box. It's a square drive so get a 4-6" from Home depot. I remade my box heavier due to rot. Unscrew the hinge bracket from the seats. Rip the old cover off and pull out the staples. I washed and bleached the foam (in the shower). Fix what-ever is broken on the frame. I stretched a new canvas drop cloth over the foam and stapled it underneath. This is just an undercover before I get fancy. New box, recarpet, mount brackets to sofa, screw sofa to box (two screws each side, straight down). Move or remove front seat, one big nut under seat top 3/4" or 1"

I did mine four times before I got them on right. Big PIA! When you get stuck, stop and drink.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyst
My sister lives in Henderson, small world. Thanks for the offer.
Back home now ill sing religious songs there Saturday November 10 at the syrup festival that said by bolts were so rusted I had to break 2 to get them out
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Unscrew the sofa from the floor/box. It's a square drive so get a 4-6" from Home depot. I remade my box heavier due to rot. Unscrew the hinge bracket from the seats. Rip the old cover off and pull out the staples. I washed and bleached the foam (in the shower). Fix what-ever is broken on the frame. I stretched a new canvas drop cloth over the foam and stapled it underneath. This is just an undercover before I get fancy. New box, recarpet, mount brackets to sofa, screw sofa to box (two screws each side, straight down). Move or remove front seat, one big nut under seat top 3/4" or 1"

I did mine four times before I got them on right. Big PIA! When you get stuck, stop and drink.
wow, wish I had asked you first! We had to replace the box also. Did you insulate the bottom side of your new box? We are going to add something on the bottom side before next road trip. Also going to put the stove top and racks underneath due to vibrations.
The shower was a GREAT suggestion! I noticed you removed the blinds and valances. Our blinds are not making another trip with us! Ours sang loudley to us. Dreadful indeed! I am attempting to make some Roman Shades instead. Mike made new valances out of real wood so think the roman shades will work fine if I can pull it off!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Back home now ill sing religious songs there Saturday November 10 at the syrup festival that said by bolts were so rusted I had to break 2 to get them out
Guess many 1990 Sun Clippers had some water damage by the replies. Ours sure did.
Are you in a band? SIng the good old gospel tunes? My sister takes her family out for the syrup festival activities but seems like it rains almost every year?
Old 10-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #11

On my windows, I put up cheap curtains on rods, no weight and no noise. That's a good idea about insulating the box under the sofa. Mine is completely rotted so I have to make a new tin floor. I'm going to glue in 1" rigid pink sheet insulation on the top and sides and remake the heating duct out of 4" pipe insulation. I had to replace big pieces of my floor due to rot. The floors are double wood over tin, with a 1" insulated space in the living room. Every time I work on a new area it's rotted. My kitchen is photoshopped, this is what it looks like now.

The jobs I have completed so far are, new fiberglass roof, sanded and painted bus sides, removed the ladder and luggage rack, new vents and Lexan skylight, pulled the holding tanks, ripped out the plumbing, all the pink carpet is replaced, new bureau in bedroom, All the etched glass and gold trim cabinet doors are gone. Dropped the Genny twice (once more), pulled all the rotten luan off the walls and remade with formica. Bamboo floors, glued and toe nailed. Roughed in new bath. Installed diamond plate on my roof edge and bottom to hide my crummy fiberglass work. New gas fill line. Dropped the propane tank.

I won't add what needs to be done, as that's too discouraging. But it is good to know there are more of us out there. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2170.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	28159

Name:	IMG_1989.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	28160
Old 10-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #12

I can't wait to show my husband your work! He gets discouraged from time to time. Really would insulate that sofa box before your 1st trip-wish we had. How did you fiberglass that roof? Replace the plywood/rafters also? Ours was a mess w/leaks everywhere. Mike has caulked and resealed roof nicely but sure it will need a new one in the future. If I can figure out how to post photos, I will post our progress albeit much slower than yours. Thanks for your replies as they are keeping me excited about our sun clipper's future!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #13

Which chassis do you have. Mine is EC2000 Spartan
Old 11-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyst View Post
I can't wait to show my husband your work! He gets discouraged from time to time. Really would insulate that sofa box before your 1st trip-wish we had. How did you fiberglass that roof? Replace the plywood/rafters also? Ours was a mess w/leaks everywhere. Mike has caulked and resealed roof nicely but sure it will need a new one in the future. If I can figure out how to post photos, I will post our progress albeit much slower than yours. Thanks for your replies as they are keeping me excited about our sun clipper's future!
To post photos I just click on the paper clip emblem above to the right of the smiley face, I can post four pics at a time, still do not know how some folks post more then that at once. Hope this helps

I have been doing all you are doing with my 91 Silver Eagle
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulfstream