Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #1

1991-92 Clarion by Coachmen - 23' Class A MH

I figure I'd start a thread for us Clarion Class A motorhome owners - all 270 or so worldwide.

Only 270 were made in a dedicated plant in Holland, MI. The plant burned down in 1992 and Coachmen never rebuilt it.

They called it a "Touring Vehicle."

Take a look at the promo commercial. You'll want to buy one.
https://youtu.be/hj6He0vlt44?t=56

It's 23 feet long and fits into a single car parking space.
It's front wheel drive - built on a Ford E-350 chassis converted from 4WD to FWD.

It features a control overhead panel in the cockpit. It has a 3000 watt Onan generator.

It has a two burner range, a 12 volt Dometic refrigerator, microwave, wet shower, a Dometic roof air conditioner, a propane furnace, and a water heater that uses engine heat and 120v.

It's easy to drive with great fuel mileage.

It has a Gel-coat fiberglass body over a lightweight balsa wood core from bottom to the roof like a yacht.

Similar to a Lesharo / Phasar / Centauri / Rialta only 1 foot bigger everywhere.

It cost nearly $100,000 when new in 1991 and 1992.

What attracted me to it was the compact size so I can whip it around easily, and the styling which looks timeless to me.

Clarion owners - sound off!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clarion Clara from CL ad  copy.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	226140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clarion from CL ad 2.jpeg
Views:	359
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	226141  

1991 Clarion by Coachmen #143 (for sale)
2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2551
pilotmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2018, 06:36 PM   #2

1992 Clarion for sale near Milwaukee

I got an email notice of a 1992 Clarion for sale near Milwaukee. It needs some mechanical work on the engine and the generator.

I'll post the info if that is allowed...AFTER I take a look for myself and stay with the adult decision not to buy it for parts.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #3

Ding-dong! Clarion fan calling.

I just had the doorbell ring as I was recovering from yesterday's one night Memorial Day trip.

The young guy at the door asked if my Clarion was for sale!

"How long have you owned it?" Almost a year.
"I WANT ONE after I saw it on YouTube."

And you just happened to see this one when you were driving by? Do you know that there are maybe 200 of them on the planet?

I let him take quick look inside.

I told them there's a LeSharo and/or Mini Winnie for sale just up the road.

Now the Onan generator won't start, the engine A/C popped a freon line, and the power window, mirror and seats are still in-op.

He's one of my feared crew enjoying their first trip in Clara.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190527_142805.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	247623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190527_083936.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	247624  

Name:	IMG_20190527_083932.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	247625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190527_083928.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	247626  

Old 05-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotmike View Post
I got an email notice of a 1992 Clarion for sale near Milwaukee. It needs some mechanical work on the engine and the generator.

I'll post the info if that is allowed...AFTER I take a look for myself and stay with the adult decision not to buy it for parts.
That one was bought by a guy who had it shipped his home in Pennsylvania.

I never got a chance to look at it.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:54 PM   #5

I will be picking up my new used Clarion this week... Have been through everything except the awnings... Any trouble things to look for - took it for a spin and it drives nice. Shocked that it has a solar panel from 1994... Probably upgrade that...
msteinhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #6

Claire, our Clarion

So we purchased a 1991 Clarion which appears to have been in storage for quite some time. We are working on restoring her with minor repairs here and there. After replacing the PCM and fuel regulator, we drove it from LA to Sacramento with no issues.

But as this is our first RV I have so many questions. First and foremost, how the heck do we drain the fresh water tank? Once its drained, how do we refill to the proper level, as I dont see any gauges around the city water hook up.
Yuppiepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:17 PM   #7

Buying a Clarion

Bumping up an old thread I guess...

I made an offer on a 1991 Clarion today. We're currently at $9k; which
I feel is fair. The Clarion has new tires, no leaks, and about 56k on it. I took it for a test drive today, and found the engine was quite strong. The only thing I wonder is how tight the breaks should be in a vehicle like this? I kinda found myself planing to stop WAY ahead of a stop sign. Just didn't feel enough stopping power. I'm guessing it needs break repair. I'll post pictures of what I have when I get home for sure.

If you have photos of yours, I'd love to see them!!! I'm hopeful to connect with folks who have the same vehicle, and share our experiences with it. Cheers!!
papa_smurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #8

Brakes

I had a similar experience. After replacing the brakes all the way around (new hubs in back) for about $1000 it now stops like an SUV.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuppiepunk View Post
I had a similar experience. After replacing the brakes all the way around (new hubs in back) for about $1000 it now stops like an SUV.
Thanks for the response! Did you do the labor? I’ve changed. Breaks out in many vehicles. Wondering how difficult it is to do this one.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_smurf73 View Post
Thanks for the response! Did you do the labor? I’ve changed. Breaks out in many vehicles. Wondering how difficult it is to do this one.
Unfortunately no. I run a couple of businesses so didn’t have the time. The rear brake parts were about $250 each and the front was just $60 for the pair.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #11

This weekend I'm taking the Clarion I plan to purchase to a mechanic. Unfortunately, the seller lives in the middle of no-where, and doesn't want to drive any distance to a bona-fide motor-home mechanic... So I'm left with taking this thing to a general mechanic. I'm fine with it. I turn a wrench myself, but kindly want an impartial opinion of how this thing stacks up mechanically...

Anyhow, I have a list of things I plan to ask said mechanic, but wondered if folks here might have suggestions for the mechanic to look at/review while he's under the hood?

Appreciate your feedback!
Old 08-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_smurf73 View Post
This weekend I'm taking the Clarion I plan to purchase to a mechanic. Unfortunately, the seller lives in the middle of no-where, and doesn't want to drive any distance to a bona-fide motor-home mechanic... So I'm left with taking this thing to a general mechanic. I'm fine with it. I turn a wrench myself, but kindly want an impartial opinion of how this thing stacks up mechanically...

Anyhow, I have a list of things I plan to ask said mechanic, but wondered if folks here might have suggestions for the mechanic to look at/review while he's under the hood?

Appreciate your feedback!
Well PS did you make the purchase and what happened? I am in end stage of restoring a 92 Clarion purchased November 2019 and love it. I've learned a lot might be able to help you
lcamp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:35 PM   #13

Happy Clarion owners 😍

Hello,

We have the teal version of the 1991 Clarion! We’ve had it for a year and a half and love it. We’ve added 500watts of solar on the roof and a 200Ah lithium battery. We’ve also added tanks heaters, and made custom magnetic triple insulation window covers for every window. We run it year round in Colorado! We have done a TON of work on it ourselves.

Her name is The Black Pearl ☠️ and she’s a dirty girl.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7706181D-E0CC-4107-86BB-A9BA8712368C.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	315643  
PLPirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:38 PM   #14

As I recall the Clarion had a cobbled front wheel drive, made out of a Ford 4X4. The axles were a bit of a problem to obtain. Only one place would make them for $850 each. So may want to start a search, before it becomes an issue.

Hopefully I am wrong, memory is not always spot on.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, coachmen