Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #1

1991 Coachman Oshkosh Truck Chassis Ford

Hello all. I have a 1991 Coachman on a Oshkosh Truck Chassis with a 460 ford driveline. I use this RV to tow my 28ft. enclosed trailer. I have had this coach since 2007 and have been pulling with it since day 1. Its the only thing we do with it. So at our last race last year I was pulling down the high way and someone pulled up beside me and said it smelled like I had something on fire. Well I thought it might be me or could of been another car around me so I went ahead and drove to the track. It was fine the whole way there then as I was pulling up to the gate all of the sudden the pedal went to the floor. I pumped it up and got it to stop. I was real easy going in to park and cranked up the trailer brakes. We were there for 3 days and I checked the brakes before we left and the pedal was nice and hard. So I drove home and the brakes were great. I know I need to fix something so what would you guys look at. Master Cylinder? Or something like the calipers or maybe the rubber lines from the calipers to the steel lines? Any help would be greatly appeciated. Thanks, Jeff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'd start with the rubber lines to the calipers, then check the calipers. When the rubber lines get old they tend to collapse not letting the caliper fully release. Calipers can also have problems due to age and exposure to the elements.

blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. Can I get the rubber lines at the parts store? If so what would I tell them for a truck to base it off of? Thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #4

Go looky here: Need Oshkosh brake lines

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #5

Thanks Dave, I will check it out when I get home from work!
Old 03-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #6

brakes

Sounds like a master cylinder to me!!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:40 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepagearjamm View Post
Sounds like a master cylinder to me!!
I would have thought the same thing but when my HR on a Ford F53 chassis did the same thing it turned out to be a bad caliper. It wasn't releasing and caused the brake fluid to boil and that caused the brake fade (the peddle went to the floor), after it cooled off the brake peddle was normal. When it happened to us we were in Ft. Wayne IN. on U.S 3 in heavy traffic and it got my attention real quick !
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
I would have thought the same thing but when my HR on a Ford F53 chassis did the same thing it turned out to be a bad caliper. It wasn't releasing and caused the brake fluid to boil and that caused the brake fade (the peddle went to the floor), after it cooled off the brake peddle was normal. When it happened to us we were in Ft. Wayne IN. on U.S 3 in heavy traffic and it got my attention real quick !
I just replaced all the flex brake lines on my 91 oshcosh, got them all from mill supply, word of caution, be sure when they send them they have the long flare nut on the part of the tube that goes into the caliper, I did not check and I had the short flare nuts on the rear lines , as soon as we added brake fluid to the resevoir it started to leak out at the caliper, the short nuts are for cars and do not push the flared tube up against it's mate inside the caliper. you will need all 5 lines, there is one I was not aware of from the frame to the rear axle you will need a 7/16 flare nut wrench

Tags
chassis, ford