Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
1991 Flair

I am heading out in a few hours to look at this unit. I think it has an e350 chassis under it. Has 53K miles and is a 25 footer. What I like is it has two twin beds in the back DW not so much until: I pointed out that they are not as difficult to make as a corner standard double bed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00x0x_bpudU8TON6l_600x450[1].jpg
Views:	68
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	92823

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #2

I like the twin beds, much easier to walk back there. I drove a 22' and 25' and did not like how they handled. Too short. I ended up with a 28'. I did not care for the Ford 460 set up.

mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
I like the twin beds, much easier to walk back there. I drove a 22' and 25' and did not like how they handled. Too short. I ended up with a 28'. I did not care for the Ford 460 set up.
I didn't get a chance to drive it. The plates are out of date and the break light was on plus the anti brake light. Had my handy nine page check list with me and had a problem with the two C clamps I spotted holding the trans or something under there together. The people selling are not the people who own it. They live a few miles away. The MH looked fine inside and out except for the Clamps and brakes. The price was lowered to $5,000 but I just had that something is not right feeling so I passed.

We will keep looking and 27 to 28 foot sounds good to me Do not want to go over 29 so I can get it turned around in yard and driveway.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:35 AM   #4

I have a 22' Flair....it handles fine, but it came with a Safe-T-Steer.

C-clamps on the tranny...wow! For $5K I would be tempted to look at it harder...but then again I am a tinker-er.

Remember, the chassis that are under 16,000 lbs do not have the infamous parking brake that causes many headaches...it has a standard drum & cable system. My 22 footer is at 12,000lbs.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
I have a 22' Flair....it handles fine, but it came with a Safe-T-Steer.

C-clamps on the tranny...wow! For $5K I would be tempted to look at it harder...but then again I am a tinker-er.

Remember, the chassis that are under 16,000 lbs do not have the infamous parking brake that causes many headaches...it has a standard drum & cable system. My 22 footer is at 12,000lbs.
I was almost tempted then I find out the people selling are not the people who own it. (couple little white lies thrown in) she would have to run up the road to have the tittle signed. for all I know she will drive around the corner and sign it herself. It did indeed have the cable parking break. It did have some sort of springs setup on the front steering system.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #6

I have the same unit but a 1989.built on the ford econoline E350 chassis,so its really easy to get parts for.the 460 is a fine engine when running right.Mine has plenty of power and drives great with 42K miles.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
I was almost tempted then I find out the people selling are not the people who own it. (couple little white lies thrown in) she would have to run up the road to have the tittle signed. for all I know she will drive around the corner and sign it herself. It did indeed have the cable parking break. It did have some sort of springs setup on the front steering system.
This would have been a huge red flag here as well. Too many scum bags trying to scam the unwary.

Trying to get title work straightened out after the fact (after you've paid for it), too big a gamble.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
This would have been a huge red flag here as well. Too many scum bags trying to scam the unwary.

Trying to get title work straightened out after the fact (after you've paid for it), too big a gamble.
Agree! Just had a bad feeling about the people.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:21 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 460 had EFI from '89 on. That was a huge improvement over the old 4 barrel.
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:37 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsinmich View Post
The 460 had EFI from '89 on. That was a huge improvement over the old 4 barrel.
That was one of the things I liked about the Flair. But I have moved on and am now looking at a 1996 Damon Daybreak 2500. Will be going to look at it on Monday. Finding the one that has the layout that will work for us is difficult. I stated out looking at the Cs and we keep finding what we like in the As. Found a B+ we liked but was sold before I could get to it.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:40 AM   #11

If you're looking at 96's now, that's about the time they started using the newer "wide body" chassis. They have a wider wheel track, making a big difference in handling, not to mention the extra interior room.

That's something you might want to check into further, for when you're trying to establish bucks spent for bang received.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:48 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
If you're looking at 96's now, that's about the time they started using the newer "wide body" chassis. They have a wider wheel track, making a big difference in handling, not to mention the extra interior room.

That's something you might want to check into further, for when you're trying to establish bucks spent for bang received.
I some place read something about a wider chassis. I think when they went to the Workhorse on the Chevy chassis. Keep going back and forth on the class C vs A thing. I am finding better deals $$$ wise on the used A's Trying to find one that is around 25 foot that does not have that corner bed.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
A bought the 1996 Damon Daybreak today and drove it 180 miles to the house. Runs great, handles well, and now have a lot of reading
Old 06-02-2015, 06:56 AM   #14

Congratulations, what an exciting time! Best of luck with it. -Al