Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #1

1991 Georgie Boy Standard Equipment

I'm looking at buying a 1991 GB Cruise Master 28.5 foot RV. I'm tring to find out what the RV is worth. I go to NADA and it wants me to mark features that were above the standard equipment. The problem is I do not know what came standard on a 1991 GB Cruise Master. Can anyone help?
Thanks
John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On Nada, just find the model number of the coach and do not enter any options.
Most options are redundant and jack up the price over the actual value.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monc440 View Post
I'm looking at buying a 1991 GB Cruise Master 28.5 foot RV. I'm tring to find out what the RV is worth. I go to NADA and it wants me to mark features that were above the standard equipment. The problem is I do not know what came standard on a 1991 GB Cruise Master. Can anyone help?
Thanks
John
I walked away from a 91 georgie boy 28 footer in Punta Gorda, Fl a few months ago. Could this be the same one??
Old 05-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #4

Here is the 1990 Owners Manual. http://coachmenrv.com/OwnersManuals/14127217.pdf

It might help answer your questions.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
I walked away from a 91 georgie boy 28 footer in Punta Gorda, Fl a few months ago. Could this be the same one??
No.

Here is the deal. The guy that ownes the RV lives next door. He is an older guy and he bought it in 1999 with the intension of using it when he retired. He had a tune up done and new tires installed. Then the roof vent leaked and he didn't realize it until some damage ahd occured , you can't see it from inside or outside but the roof is soft so the damage it there. Anyway he put it in dry storage with plans to have it fixed. About two years later he had some health issues that almost killed him and the RV has just sit. His health issues effect him still to the point where he doesn't want to try RVing.
Anyway I help him out from time to time with things he can't do anymore and thru out talks I told him I would be interested in buying the RV so he wants me to come up with a price.
This is the info I have:
1991 Georgie Boy Cruise Master, has been is dry storage since 2001, has not been driven since 2001, has not been started in 3 years.
37,000 miles
Ford 460 engine
Nice and clean inside.
New tires in 1999 drove 30 miles then parked. (I do not see any dry rote)
Had a roof leak due to a bad roof vent. The roof still needs the vent replaced and resealed. The inside around the vent is kind of "soft" like plywood that got wet, dried out.
It is not delaminated that I can see.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Here is the 1990 Owners Manual. http://coachmenrv.com/OwnersManuals/14127217.pdf

It might help answer your questions.

Dave

Dave

Thanks
John
Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #7

Problem with age is that rubber does not respond well to it. Hoses, belts and such should be replaced before using. Tires, well the standard rule of thumb is around 7 years max. Most people feel that is the limit either used or unused. You should put some Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders (1 tsp/cylinder) and let it soak a few days to help lubricate the pistons, rings and cylinders. Then turn it over to to distribute the oil, let sit another 24hrs then start it. Object is to lubricate so you do not score the cylinder walls and such. Brake fluid should be flushed (moisture contamination) and replaced. Seals dry out due to non-use so brakes and driveline components have to be checked/serviced. All this has to be taken into account. Like I said, age has a way of being unkind even if in dry storage. If not temperature controlled, heat and cold itself can create problems.

With a 460 I suspect it is most likely a John Deere/Oshkosh chassis. Use the IRV2 search feature and you will find a link to the JD chassis manual if it is a JD chassis.

If a fiberglass roof, then fixing the vent is an interior repair. you may have to pull out more area than expected in order to find support beams to attach the new substrate (plywood and insulation) to.

Dave
Old 05-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Problem with age is that rubber does not respond well to it. Hoses, belts and such should be replaced before using. Tires, well the standard rule of thumb is around 7 years max. Most people feel that is the limit either used or unused. You should put some Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders (1 tsp/cylinder) and let it soak a few days to help lubricate the pistons, rings and cylinders. Then turn it over to to distribute the oil, let sit another 24hrs then start it. Object is to lubricate so you do not score the cylinder walls and such. Brake fluid should be flushed (moisture contamination) and replaced. Seals dry out due to non-use so brakes and driveline components have to be checked/serviced. All this has to be taken into account. Like I said, age has a way of being unkind even if in dry storage. If not temperature controlled, heat and cold itself can create problems.

With a 460 I suspect it is most likely a John Deere/Oshkosh chassis. Use the IRV2 search feature and you will find a link to the JD chassis manual if it is a JD chassis.

If a fiberglass roof, then fixing the vent is an interior repair. you may have to pull out more area than expected in order to find support beams to attach the new substrate (plywood and insulation) to.

Dave
Dave

NADA shows Average Retail at $2,990 with low retail at $2,480. With everything this old girl needs I would say it is below $2,480. I can do all the work myself so labor charges are none. With that being said my guess is all the parts will add up to around $1000 plus my time is worth something. I hate to say it because I like the old guy but $1500 is in the ball park and $2000 will be being more than fair. I assume he paid more than $10,000 for it in 1999 and I think he is going to get real offended when I make my offer. I may just tell him I'm not interested just to save a friendship.

Your thoughts?

Thanks again
John
Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your generous, I was thinking around 1,000 bucks.

A MH sitting unused for 10 years is the worst thing anyone could do to it.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #10

I have been bringing a $600 78 Chieftain back to life that sat for many years outside. As WannabeFTer indicated, it has been a challenge to say the least (both time and $). This all comes down to how badly the guy wants to be rid of the coach. Some people just hate to let things go unless it is causing them some grief. The $ part needs to be your driver as the NADA guide has already told you that for $2500 you can get a rig in usable condition. You do not know at this point if the fridge ($1000), water heater ($700), furnace ($700), stove, microwave, converter, water pump, toilet, LP regulator, etc. works. You do not know what if any Water stystem leaks it may or may not have. Electrical gremilins are troublesome. HOw much work will the generator require? This is an "as is" sale of a very complex set of systems that has not been serviced regularly, so treat it as such. And one final note, for most RV's are a pleasure vehicle. You will rarely, if ever, get what $ you put into them. Their real value is directly related to the enjoyment you get from using them. Even with all that said, here is a thread where the couple (actually more the wife) was willing to accept the current condition then rework the living daylights out of the rig to bring it back to tip top condition: No shore power in motorhome

So, it's all about what you want and are willing to do. That can only be your decision.

Dave
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nada Retail, Low Average with no added a options is what a decent Rv brings now days. You can figure on a new set of 6 tires, new belts and hoses, tranny and engine service, pull the wheels and check the brakes, flush the brake fluid and a service on the generator. Cab A/C will probably need work and it is probably R-12.

Take low retail and and subtract off the necessary repairs and service to get back on the road. The soft roof could be expensive and water leaks tend to spread and it is probably in the wall as well as the floor.

Acheck all of the appliances, and the frig is about $1100 to replace if you do the work. Roof A/C are about $500 each, generator service and repair coupld top $1000. New tires...$1800. So you could esily sink $3000 plus in the RV.

Ken
Old 05-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Nada Retail, Low Average with no added a options is what a decent Rv brings now days. You can figure on a new set of 6 tires, new belts and hoses, tranny and engine service, pull the wheels and check the brakes, flush the brake fluid and a service on the generator. Cab A/C will probably need work and it is probably R-12.

Take low retail and and subtract off the necessary repairs and service to get back on the road. The soft roof could be expensive and water leaks tend to spread and it is probably in the wall as well as the floor.

Acheck all of the appliances, and the frig is about $1100 to replace if you do the work. Roof A/C are about $500 each, generator service and repair coupld top $1000. New tires...$1800. So you could esily sink $3000 plus in the RV.

Ken
I bought a 91 Silver eagle that sat unused for 4 years, it also had a leaking roof vent, I paid 3500 for it becuase it was top of it's line with every possible option available at the itme, I have almost 3K into it and have never yet tested the water or gas systems. Follow all my posts over the last three months to see the issues I have had and continue to have. The latest is a sudden failure of the Transfer switch.
I will never buy another basket case again
My two cents
Old 05-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That is one thing I actually did right when buying my first MH. Found my current rig that was being used on a regular basis. It also had a service contract, so the PO kept up his end of the bargain by keeping all the fluids changed and fresh.

At first I almost did not purchase it because the transmission was replaced, but now I'm glad it was. Also a plus that all of the maintenance records came with it.

I would consider myself lucky I found this MH being in a fully maintained condition when I bought it 2 years ago. In that time I have spent thousands upgrading and repairing the little things that normally go wrong with a 14 year old coach.

Can't imagine how much I could have spent if I went with a newer fixer upper.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #14

Thanks guys you have been helpfull.