Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #1

1992 Thor Pinnacle 300Q fridge problems.

Hello there, i am new in this community. But I need some help with my just purchaded thor pinnacle.

My refrigirator is not working, when in gas, pilot flame starts only wile pilot is clicking, clicking stops and the. Flame extinguises.

It also has no 120v on the passenger side outlets. The driver side outlets are ok but it disables those outlets when the rfi "I guess it's called" that's in the bathroom pops.

Other than that that pinnacle is in very good condition, gen. Ac's. Engine and trans.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #2

Well there are so many things that could need attention on a vintage rig.

But a lot of the enjoyment can come from troubleshooting and getting them fixed.

I think the best advice I can offer is to attack one problem at a time and work through them. It's easy to get overwhelmed.

For example, the refrigerator. You should treat the electrical side separately from the gas. The Gas problem might be low propane in the tank, a bad regulator or clogged lines. Test your stove and see if it's got good gas. Then move to the burner on the refer and the igniter. There should be a thermocouple that, if it doesn't get hot enough, will shut off the gas. Try to find a service manual for your unit. You might even have to replace the refrigerator if it's too old or not-economically-repairable.

There are good people here to help.

Good luck and welcome.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:19 AM   #3

thank you for your reply.

i don't see a thermocouple installed, but i can't see where it connects to the electronic board.

on the electrical side, there is a hole in the plywood under the fridge, there are 3 wires that i can see, i'm wandering if there is missing a switch or breaker or something.

thank you.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #4

Plug your fridge into an extension cord to see whether it will run on 120v (it uses an electric element to heat the gas as opposed to a gas flame, but the reefer will (or will not) work no matter which you're on). You'll need to leave it plugged in at least 24 hours, since gas-absorption units are very slow to cool.

No point in going further if the reefer doesn't cool.

If there is simply no power to the outlet where your fridge plugs in, check the breakers in your power center, and make sure there is not a secondary GFIC outlet in the hall, outside, or somewhere else that is popped. At the very worst, you can run a new 120v circuit for your fridge, or even a permanent extension cord.

**edit- I see you've said the entire passenger side is out. This is most likely a) a tripped or bad GFIC outlet *most likely* b)possibly bad or tripped breaker (easiest to check) c) also possible but less likely mice have chewed electrical wires.

Check ALL the outlets in the rig, including the patio outlets and any inside your bays to find the secondary GFIC. You can temporaily bypass this outlet or wire in a regular outlet to see if its the problem.

- electrical wiring in older RVs is typical bizarre. In our 1990 Southwind, ALL the circuits are controlled by the GFIC in the bathroom, and once we lost all power because a heavy rain had gotten water in the patio outlet-

The gas side is a little more complex. You will need to check that there is 12v power (which runs the control circuits), so make sure your house batteries are up and/or that the rig is plugged into shore power and your converter is working (do the 12volt lights work?).

Look for your reefer manual here or google it. There should be a troubleshooting guide for the gas side that you can use. It sound like control board or thermocouple to me, parts for which are still available from these guys

Because gas-absorption reefers are expensive to replace, some people have pulled them out and replaced with small household refrigerators- not a bad choice if you're always going to be plugged in at campgrounds. Not so good if you boondock.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #5

same old thing I usually say.

GFI outlets do quit and need to be physically replaced. UNPLUG including pulling the plug to the RV. Purchase a GFI, then one thing at a time, remove wire from old GFI and put it in the new outlet. That makes sure you get it done right. Turn off or remove any 110 outlets. Next start plugging in. I just an electric drill cause it is handy. If that outlet blows GFI that is where I would start looking for wiring problem
Old 03-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #6

Thanks you all, great input, I will be working on it over the weekend, in daylight before it gets too hot out here to be working out doors during the day.

Like I mentioned before, right below the fridge. There ie an opening about 2x4 and there are 3wires capped off. It may be where a gfi use to be.

All the wiring looks in very good shape. But who knows.

Thank you again. Will keep you posted.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:04 AM   #7

Ok,
I found part of the electrical problem
I have now power (120v) on the fridge outlet pass side of the motorhome

I even connected the fridge to an extention cord from the house.
the fridge still shows that is working on gas and I can't feel the electrical heating elemente warming on.
i'm thinking it's the electronic board where all the wiring to and from the fridge is wires up.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #8

The gas issue may be that the thermo couple may be bad. How long are you holding in the pilot control after the flame starts? It may need 15-30 seconds before you can release the pilot control. Also the tube that the flame come out of gets carboned up over time and may need to scraped the slots clean to have a good enough flame to cool the fridge. I pulled my flame tube right out of the burner area to clean mine.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #9

It starts automatically when swithed to gas, it clicks for afew seconds ans ir fires uo but as soon as it stops clicking gas sots off.
therenis no thermo couple there.
onli the gas line and the ignator.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #10

What brand of refrigerator do you have? Were you able to find the manual for it?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:11 PM   #11

Norcold
I have a booklet but no troubleshooting.

Tags
thor, fridge