Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #1

1993 Damon Challenger (Chevy Chasis)

Anyone own or have owned a 1993 Damon Challenger that can give me an honest review from your experience? Drove it last weekend, runs and shifts good and rides nice. Has 22,472 miles on her with a few bugs (Electric step motor needs replaced and generator won't run off of Motorhome's main fuel tank, but will run from gas can.) I am "on the fence" as to whether to go ahead and purchase my first MH or keep looking? Thank you all in advance for your input!!

Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #2

93 Damon Challenger

Mike
I canít help you out on the 93 Challenger. Back then the Damon brand was owned by Damon. It was later bought out by Thor. I have a 94 Intruder with 84000+/- miles on it and I must say it has been a pretty good coach. The interior still looks good after all these years and the cabinets and woodwork are holding up well. They did do some really stupid things when they designed my motorhome such as the placement of the house batteries, the thermal disconnect up behind the left turn signal, the placement of the starting battery that requires me to remove the grill and the windshield washer tank to get it out and a few other annoying things but all in all itís been a pretty good unit. I never touched the rubber roof for 21 years. I stayed off it completely except to install a solar panel. I had our local RV repair shop do a liquid overlay this year and he said the existing roof was in surprisingly good shape. This thing still drives down the road nicely. It has a long wheel base so isnít bothered much by passing trucks and tows our Honda fine. I did lose the transmission in 2012 but thatís Ford so was no surprise. This thing has been lived is two or three months at a time and has survived my son in law and grand son so that speaks pretty well for it I think. If I was looking for another coach I wouldn't hesitate to look at a Damon. Should thing work out for the wife and I this year we will probably take to Arizona again in late winter or early spring.
Stan

Old 11-26-2015, 07:52 AM   #3

Thanks Stan! Sounds like you have enjoyed your coach to the limits! The gentleman who owns this coach bought it 11 years ago and has only put a couple thousand miles on her. I would hope to use one alot more often than that. Although it has set more than it has been on the road, she drives and runs really nice. He is still not 100% sure he wants to sell just yet so it's not like I have go right now and make the purchase. Thanks again for taking some time and sharing your thoughts!

Mike
Old 12-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #4

With the Chevy chassis you should look at two things. First look in the front springs. There should be air bags in them as the chassis is considered a light duty chassis and the air bags are needed for correct ride height. The original air bags go bad fast and usually need to be replaced.

Second check that the auto park system works. This mh is probably too heavy for a check pawl in the transmission so an automatic parking brake was added to the back of the transmission. When you put the mh in park the auto park system is supposed to hold it. These are a weak link in the Chevy chassis and often need repair.

My 96 Rexall had both problems when I bought it but through some research on this forum and some others I was able to fix the problems with out a lot of cost.

Good luck
scdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
With the Chevy chassis you should look at two things. First look in the front springs. There should be air bags in them as the chassis is considered a light duty chassis and the air bags are needed for correct ride height. The original air bags go bad fast and usually need to be replaced.

Second check that the auto park system works. This mh is probably too heavy for a check pawl in the transmission so an automatic parking brake was added to the back of the transmission. When you put the mh in park the auto park system is supposed to hold it. These are a weak link in the Chevy chassis and often need repair.

My 96 Rexall had both problems when I bought it but through some research on this forum and some others I was able to fix the problems with out a lot of cost.

Good luck
It is so funny you mentioned these two items to check! The air bags were replaced and the auto park feature repaired as well just last spring. The gentleman who owns her right now is a certified mechanic and has taken really good care of this old MH! In addition to the two above mentioned repairs it has a new master cylinder, new brakes all around, new belts, hoses grommets,(anything rubber was replaced) water pump, plug wires and new tires all around! All of this within the past two years! He told me this morning he will make a decision in the next couple of months whether to sell her or not! He has recently purchased a slide-in camper for his 3/4 ton truck and is leaning toward selling the Challenger! I know, I know, this seems too good to be true, but I know what all he has done to this MH and I'm thinking if he offers it to me first I would be nuts not to buy it! Stay tuned.........

Mike
Old 12-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #6

On the gen, we recently got a '93 26' Flair on the P-30 chassis with a gen that was like yours. After first determining that the pump was doing it's thing I found a leak/hole in the fuel flex line just after it comes out of the tank. Cheap fix, but a b.... to get to. Also the fuel system is designed to cut the gen off when the level gets down to about 1/4 tank so there is still enough left to run the MH.

Best of luck.

Steve
Old 12-04-2015, 11:37 PM   #7

With all the work that was done i agree that it sounds like a spectacular deal. Hope it works out for you.
scdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
With all the work that was done i agree that it sounds like a spectacular deal. Hope it works out for you.
I have to tell you all that this web-site has silenced my fear of buying a pre-owned motorhome. I know if I get the chance I am going to give this old coach a good home and I know that what ever I run into with her I can get the advice or at the very least pointed in the right direction to get her fixed! Life is so very short.....time to start living for the moment and stop worrying about what "might" happen tomorrow!!!

Mike

Tags
chevy, damon