Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2016, 03:13 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
1993 Fleetwood P30 chassis

In the last year since when we bought our coronado I have been busy replacing front suspension parts. So far I have put on supersteer bell cranks hellwig front stabilizer bar and bilstein shocks.When we first got it it was white knuckle driving to keep it in the lane.Now at 90% better I took it to have the front end lined up and the front wheel bearings packed.After the mechanics did there preliminary check before adjusting the tow etc.. the front wheels both had a bit of a wobble.Upon closer inspection found out the play was in the control arms. The bushings appeared to have never taken grease and the control arms had went from a circular bushing hole to egg shaped.Just got word today they found parts and will be able to pick it up next week.Just to get some feedback here does anyone know a place to get front end parts for this thing. The garage found some on their own but just for the heck of it I looked at everyplace imaginable.The only thing I ever found was discontinued etc.. My main problem appeared to be because oa a heavy duty front end (F42) and four wheel disc brakes (jf9) and the 7.4 engine I could not find parts anywhere. I am pretty saavy searching g.m. databases rockauto and other places but some parts just appear to be impossible to find. I did fill out a request form from junkyarddog.com and received one e-mail and call that said they had them from salvage.Hope anyone else that has had problems like this pipe in and shed some light on resources for some of us less lucky.Thanks if you took the time.
bidderwins19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 04:41 PM   #2

I'm in the UK but buy most of my stuff from the States. Mine's a 94 P30 but i just had a quick look at year 93 on Rock Auto and your control arm bushes are there in plentiful supply, listed as control arm shaft kit.....Cheap too.
Most of the other fron end parts are also listed also.
kennyrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:52 PM   #3

I don't understand not being able to find those parts, I have seen a fair amount from Moog and others, even ebay and amazon have parts for the P30 chassis with 4 wheel disc brakes. I purchased a ne ac delco drag link for mine recently from amazon. What parts exactly are you looking for other than the control arm bushing?
Old 06-10-2016, 05:42 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe I am not looking at the vehicle specific details correctly. I will search parts again and post a reply as to my findings.As I quoted earlier when looking for the upper control arm itself not the other components that make up the assembly is where my problem is. Mostly everything states rear drum brakes and or does not have the heavy duty front end or does not include the 7.4 litre engine. My rpo code for the front end is (f42) and the four wheel disc brakes code is (jf9).I'll take another look. Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.I will post again after researching again.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:13 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So far when looking for the upper control arms the closest thing I found was for a Moog 6543. The only specifics listed was disc/drum which what i would guess means disc front drum rear.
I don't understand why the type of brakes in the rear makes so much difference when finding front suspension parts. Still going to look further.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #6

Like KennyRodgers said, Rock Auto is a good place to get parts in general. I get stuff from there when I travel to the States. Sometimes you have to know the manufacturer part number you are looking for rather than going by their vehicle menu. I did notice that Rock Auto did not have the control arms for the MH P30 chassis, only regular duty.

With the motorhome version of the P30, you will be looking for parts for the heavy duty suspension. This is where the rear disc brakes come in. The regular duty P30 suspension had drums in the rear. The discs in the back indicate beefier control arms. Some parts are listed as motor home P30 specific when you look at the manufacturers' websites. When you start searching for P30 control arms, you realize that there are a few different ones depending on the suspension setup.

You might also try checking out stepvanparts.com. They specialize in the P30 vans have good diagrams of different P30 parts and may be able to help you out.

Is it all 4 control arms or just the uppers or lowers?
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:08 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the insight.I am not sure if I need all four yet. I do know that the drivers and pass. uppers both need replacing.The garage I have it at are still tearing things apart.Rock auto has always been my go to place also.After this front end is done.I have quite a list of things yet to do.Belts are one thing that I plan on.That appears to be quite a job also due to the difficulty of getting access.Flushing the brake lines and power steering fluids are another one.I plan on replacing all the rubber lines also.Hopefully I'll be able to tackle the other jobs myself. We love the motorhome and want to keep her in tip top shape without breaking the bank.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:01 AM   #8

Hi again.
I see what you mean about the control arms, it's a bit of a head scratcher eh.
Re the belts, I did all mine from the dog house, it was a little awkward to say the least but I'd have no qualms about doing it again. I decided after reading various forums that Gates are the belt of choice. They do a HD version of the serpentine belt for the alternator, it's green so easy to ID on Rock Auto.

I also replaced the rubber brake hoses and flushed the fluid. If you can get a helper to press the pedal and top up the master cylinder whilst you work the bleed nipples it's an easy enough job.
Best of luck with it.
kennyrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:48 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Kenny Rogers and DeOrellana for the input.I have a gates website also that gives me all the parts numbers at least I hope they list them all.I will probably get the other things I plan on doing from Rock Auto.I have the 1993 g.m. service manual for the p30 and also have the g.m. chassis electrical manual for the p30.Hopefully by tuesday I will get her back and get it packed for a trip.I'm hoping she rolls down the road like a new one.It's only 28 foot and has a lot of new front end parts already.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #10

https://www.amazon.com/WSD-K6545-197...r+control+arms http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Lower-...9WjNWH&vxp=mtr
Old 06-13-2016, 04:06 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
WSD-K6545 Front Upper Control Arm Right Side Passenger Side Chevrolet C20 C30 1973-1986 P20 P30 1973-1989G30 1975-1996, Chevrolet G30 Van 1971-1974, Chevrolet P30 Motor Home 2WD 1973-1976 with IFS, Chevrolet P30 Motor Home 2WD 1977-1998 non 4 Wheel D

I checked the wsd site and that part number and it states for non four wheel disc brakes.I have 4 wheel disc brakes and independent heavy duty front suspension.Thanks for the help.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #12

If you haven't found new ones yet, it might be worth while to go to a truck wrecking yard and ask if you can use their Hollander Interchange Manual that covers the P30. The Hollander Interchange Manual will tell you all of the other vehicles the same control arm was used on. They might have a panel van with the same control arm as your motor home, they just don't know it.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #13

Did a little checking on Hollander parts. Found these:

Left:
https://www.hollanderparts.com/used-...sc-rear-brakes

Right:
https://www.hollanderparts.com/used-...sc-rear-brakes
Old 06-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Great information and help here.The Hollander site is a definate save to favorites site.I talked to the mechanics today and said the control arms they got just had too small of a ball joint and that the ball joints I need were coming in today.With any luck I will get it back by friday.The place I have it at are quite reputable and been doing a lot of heavy trucks and equipment for a lot of years.They have a good reputation and should know their way around proper parts to use. So I beleive the control arms they got were the same as mine with the exception that the ball joint was undersized.I also did a lot of searching scrap yards and filled out a few request forms. One was from junkyard dog.com and I got a few replies from them and then I sent one to colaws rv in mo. which is a scrap yard also and they replied they had parts also. So now I will see what happens if all goes well the I'll be happy.In the process of doing all the looking for parts I came up with a lot of different places to look for used and salvage also.I will reply again when I hear from the mechanics and post the outcome .Thanks,I love this site.Lot's of good people here and a great place to put the mind on autopilot and go out to lunch dreamin of the open road.

Tags
fleetwood, chassis, p30