Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 06:44 PM   #1

1994 Roadmaster chassis service & parts questions?

Hi,
My brother-in-law is looking at a 94 Monaco Dynasty with a Roadmaster chassis and I am concerned about parts and serviceability on that chassis.

My coach is on a freightliner and if my starter or a suspension component dies I can stop in any service center nation wide and give them my chassis VIN and get whatever I need, but what do people do that have these out of production chassis that was made by a company that has been gone for a long time. It's an orphan, the new Monaco has no real relation to the 1994 coaches.

Simple things like brake pads,ball joints or air ride components start to sound intimidating if you cannot find a parts lookup anywhere.

Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Seriously, it's not a problem. The chassis frame is proprietary Roadmaster, but there's really nothing there that's going to cause any trouble. The axles are supplied by outside providers like Dana or Spicer, so any axle, steering, wheel, brake parts are not a problem. The shocks absorbers are Monro, Koni or Bilstein. The air bags are Firestone or Goodyear. The engines are Cummins, the transmissions are Allison. The air brake system is built of standard brand components, as is the air conditioning system.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
Seriously, it's not a problem. The chassis frame is proprietary Roadmaster, but there's really nothing there that's going to cause any trouble. The axles are supplied by outside providers like Dana or Spicer, so any axle, steering, wheel, brake parts are not a problem. The shocks absorbers are Monro, Koni or Bilstein. The air bags are Firestone or Goodyear. The engines are Cummins, the transmissions are Allison. The air brake system is built of standard brand components, as is the air conditioning system.

Jim
So, what do you do if your starter goes out or say a steering component fails like a ball joint? When mine died I got another one with my VIN (at ten PM), what would he do to get one while on a trip for example?
Old 03-23-2016, 08:52 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectraguy View Post
So, what do you do if your starter goes out or say a steering component fails like a ball joint? When mine died I got another one with my VIN (at ten PM), what would he do to get one while on a trip for example?
OK. The starter is a standard Delco starter used on several models of Cummins engines spanning dozens of years. Take the model # from the Delco sticker on the starter and order a new one, readily available from multitudes of suppliers on ebay. Or, better yet, just take the starter into a local electrical rebuild shop and have it repaired, rebuilt, or exchanged.

It's a Monaco Dynasty. It doesn't have ball joints. Every front end suspension and steering part on that coach is standard available truck parts at any truck alignment and chassis shop or any truck parts store that supplies chassis parts.

I get your point. It is true when running anything close to new that all you need is your VIN to call the manufacturer for parts. However, for many of us running anything older than a few years old, the manufacturers often aren't interested in hearing from us calling in with our VIN looking for parts, and if they are, usually we aren't interested in paying their prices. We have learned to source the parts from the people that actually make the parts. The fact that the old Monaco company no longer exists is really irrelevant.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Running a 92 Crown Royale with the Roadmaster chassis. Have not found any parts that I could not put my hands on within 24 hours. The Chassis is just formed steel. All other parts were made by vendors that supplied the same parts to many other manufacturers. I highly recommend the Monaco coach in that year range. Those puppies were overbuilt inside and out
Old 03-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #6

I totally get the older coach sentiment, mine is 20 this year but being a freight liner chassis makes it pretty easy to get anything I need quickly, even from roadside service. I will not worry so much about it I guess, the high line coaches of that era are pretty sweet.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:22 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I wouldn't worry about his roadmaster either . mines a 95 just smooth riding on down the road , got 72'000 miles on her and front end and all under carriage looks brand new hardly any waer.... Had starter rebuilt just for pm's they stock em at oriellys replaced the water pump in about 10 minutes on the road from o'riellys..
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:50 AM   #8

I get engine parts, but where do you look up brake parts? I don't want to need to take off a part to do a visual match or clean a part to look for a part number, that's a lot of downtime.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
One of the best things I did after buying my 2002 Monaco Windsor was to join IRV2 & the Yahoo Group Monacoers.

The Monacoers groups is comprised of very knowledgeable people who can answer just about any question. They have also have created an extensive data base of file that includes a Parts List that has been updated several times in the last 5 years. The parts lists has listings of where parts can be purchased and/or alternate cross reference for the part. I have used often to help me solve problems & buy parts.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm sure someone on here can give you a part number for brake parts on a roadmaster .... .. What you need to do is hurry up and buy the Dynasty before your brother in law does !! lol
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:24 PM   #11

No, I'm thrilled with my vectra gt, but I am wanting to get him the needed info on serviceability etc..

Thanks for the insight gang.

Tags
chassis, parts, service