RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #1

1996 EFI Pace Arrow intermittent fuel? problem

Hello fellow RV'rs! Newbie here.
I have a 1996 Pacearrow 460 efi that dies intermittently.
Have had fuel pump, regulator and relay replaced.
Also had ignition replaced. Mechanics can't seem to find what's causing it.
Anybody?

Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #2

Don't know, mine is GM 454 TBFI. But there are a lot of sensors that tell these engines how to run. Someone here will know the ford version and where to start. They helped me find my problem.
Steve

Old 08-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #3

Thanks Steve for a quick response. At least I'm not alone out here lol.
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca View Post
Thanks Steve for a quick response. At least I'm not alone out here lol.
EfI is not as tricky in itself, however they sure make it tricky when problem solving. Start with a very basic test, measure the fuel pressure on the fuel rail...It should remain constant within 2 lbs at every rpm level the engine runs at, seeing the mechanics have already replaced parts i think i would find another mechanic....Constant pressure indicates a good fuel pump/ regulator...A WAG would be a electronic component in the ignition....and could be as simple as your gas tank vapor locking...You might describe when it quits, and how it restarts....how does those two events happen?

Maybe a trip to say orielys auto parts and have them read your on board comp for error codes.
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #5

Can anyone tell me what runs the rpm tachometer
DonnellR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:48 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fuel pressure should hold at 39-40 psi with the regulator vacuum disconnected or at full throttle and load.
You say the ignition was replaced. Which of the several ignition components were replaced?
Also note that even though your motorhome is a 1996 and most folks assume it is OBDII compliant, it is not. The 460 F53 chassis were Ford specific EEC-IV system and not all repair shops have the appropriate equipment to read and diagnose that system.
Hope that helps and best of luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Happens when moving or when sitting still (or both)? Maybe a loose connection or damaged wire cutting off power somewhere?
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:49 AM   #8

Along with my OBD II code reader, I also bought a ford specific reader from E-bay. It is also available on Amazon for about 20.00 bucks. If your port is at the same place as mine you will also need an extension cable so you don't have to bend yourself into a pretzel to read it
Going to try and post this link.
https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3145-F...64198620&psc=1

This code reader is a must for these 460's to find out what is going on with your engine.
Hope this helps.
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:03 PM   #9

There is 2 things I would do to start the diagnosis. I would put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and put the gauge where I could see it driving down the road so when it starts acting up the fuel pressure can be quickly checked to see if it's in spec. If the fuel checks out I would look at the ignition system. If it has a ignition module mounted on the side of the distributor it would be a prime suspect. The module that is mounted on the fender can cause this issue also. It also drives the tachometer I believe. Check the wiring diagram to verify this. I have had Ford ECM's create these same symptoms. The ECM is only suspect after all other codes and systems are verified. Hope this helps.
http://www.google.com/search?q=1995+...E4aI-YBpvJLnM:
rmiddletom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:19 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a bad PIP sensor.
Even if the distributor was replaced it could still be the PIP sensor.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:39 PM   #11

You have one of three major things that can fail.
1) fuel pressure: as a previous poster stated, a fuel gauge can be installed to monitor if the fuel pressure drops (or not) when the engine stalls.
2) fuel injector signal: the computer electrical signal to fuel injector may stop. A Noid Light can test that. The light will come on, or not when you crank it when it stalls and won't restart.
https://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-6487...gateway&sr=8-3
3) You can loose spark to the plugs. A cheap spark tester can help you verify it you have spark or not when she stalls.
https://www.amazon.com/Deal】OriGlam-...s%2C221&sr=8-9

Depending on which part of the system failed. You would still have to diagnos why you have:
no spark: coil, module, cap rotor, bad wiring from the coil to module or module to computer/harness.
no fuel pressure: see if the fuel pump relay is failing (hope your mechanic replaced it when he changed the fuel pump).
no injector signal: check wiring from the computer to injector, or no signal from the computer. Which could be things like crank triggers, or ignition signal wiring related.

The tools are cheap to buy. The basis diagnostic is pretty straight forward. The rest is checking the related systems and wiring. All your mechanic should have done.

Tags
problem, pace arrow, fuel, ace