Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:24 PM   #1

1996 Four Winds XL Class A

Just some info on running 2 air conditioners on my older rig.
My 1996 Four Winds XL has 30 amp service connection but can run both air conditioners off the generator but only 1 through a 3 position selector in the bedroom with the shore connection. There is 2 transfer switches one under each night stand in the bedroom. the one on the drivers side for switching the 30 amp circuit on the Generator or the shore power connection to the circuit breaker panel. The passenger side transfer switch will switch the power from the 3 position switch rear air to the 20 amp generator leg to the rear air.
I see 2 options to run both airs at a campground that has a 3 outlet pedestal (15 amp, 3o amp and 50 amp..
1. install a 50 amp breaker panel and shore connection, disable the 3 position switch and rewire the rear ac transfer switch to the second leg on the 50 amp panel. wire the rear ac into the new 50 amp panel..
2. Install an additional transfer switch in line to the rear ac and add a 15-20 amp shore power wire with 20 amp breaker to the connect to the campground pedestal.
Option 2 allows you keep all the original equipment with out modifications. You can also up grade at the pedestal if 15 amps is not available or is tied into the 30 amp connection, by using a 50 to 30 adaptor and 30 to 15 amp adaptor.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:35 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't offer any advice on the wiring but I would like to see a picture of that rig.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
I can't offer any advice on the wiring but I would like to see a picture of that rig.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseybigfot View Post
Just some info on running 2 air conditioners on my older rig.
My 1996 Four Winds XL has 30 amp service connection but can run both air conditioners off the generator but only 1 through a 3 position selector in the bedroom with the shore connection. There is 2 transfer switches one under each night stand in the bedroom. the one on the drivers side for switching the 30 amp circuit on the Generator or the shore power connection to the circuit breaker panel. The passenger side transfer switch will switch the power from the 3 position switch rear air to the 20 amp generator leg to the rear air.
I see 2 options to run both airs at a campground that has a 3 outlet pedestal (15 amp, 3o amp and 50 amp..
1. install a 50 amp breaker panel and shore connection, disable the 3 position switch and rewire the rear ac transfer switch to the second leg on the 50 amp panel. wire the rear ac into the new 50 amp panel..
2. Install an additional transfer switch in line to the rear ac and add a 15-20 amp shore power wire with 20 amp breaker to the connect to the campground pedestal.
Option 2 allows you keep all the original equipment with out modifications. You can also up grade at the pedestal if 15 amps is not available or is tied into the 30 amp connection, by using a 50 to 30 adaptor and 30 to 15 amp adaptor.
Sounds like you're on the right track.

You could also make a breakout box if you had a 50A jack on the pedestal but not a 30 + 20A. Have a 30A coming off one leg of the 50A, and a 20A coming off the other leg of the 50A.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #5

a few pictures of the transfer switch for the rear AC.

Switch located under the pass side night stand.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #6

The Four Winds has only 24,000 miles when I purchased it last year and after investing in new tires , shocks brakes I still felt the handling was worst than the last 2 class
A rigs. Added new air bags front sway bar and front springs on the Chevy chassis with little improvement. I called Henderson Line UP and was advised to install a track bar to rid the rig of the tail wag. What a difference. its actually a pleasure to drive now.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #7

Foward pull down bunk installation

Installed pull down bunk over drivers seat.

30 inch deep for cot size mattress. Will add 2x2 angle on platform perimeter to stiffen. Winnebago spring mechanism screws to 16 gauge sheet that captures metal frame in wall.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #8

Bunk in stored position

Tags
class a, four winds