Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #1

1997 Fleetwood American Eagle, Power Gear leveling jack control unit?

Trouble is - single front jack won’t extend, pump runs but I’ll need a helper to operate controls to determine if solenoid is working or not. 3 jack system.

Plenty of fluid, rear jacks work fine. I was using the system on only the rears until I realized doing that twists body too much and the windshield can pop out.

I’ve found Power Gear docs and they suggest checking fuse X5 on control unit but I’m struggling to find the control unit?

I’ve found the pump/tank/manifold/solenoids in the rear curb side engine area and of course the button panel in the dash. But I can’t seem to locate the control unit that would contain fuses referenced to check?

Any ideas? Spartan chassis in case that matters.
RetireGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireGuitar View Post
Trouble is - single front jack won’t extend, pump runs but I’ll need a helper to operate controls to determine if solenoid is working or not. 3 jack system.

Plenty of fluid, rear jacks work fine. I was using the system on only the rears until I realized doing that twists body too much and the windshield can pop out.

I’ve found Power Gear docs and they suggest checking fuse X5 on control unit but I’m struggling to find the control unit?

I’ve found the pump/tank/manifold/solenoids in the rear curb side engine area and of course the button panel in the dash. But I can’t seem to locate the control unit that would contain fuses referenced to check?

Any ideas? Spartan chassis in case that matters.
Sounds like an Air leak somewhere .
make absolutely sure your fluid is up !
On my Older Eagle I have 4 Relays-4 Bosch Relays that operate my Jacks.. Next is Call American Coach.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #3

I do appreciate the helpful input, thank you. Unfortunately, I’m not a sharp tool so when you say “air leak” are you talking about the compressed air system? Or, the hydraulic lift/pump system that operates the jacks?

Unless I’m missing something about how the fluid reservoir is filled and works the oil level is nearly full in the tank when jacks are in UP position.

I’m still short a helper so I haven’t been able to put a DVM across the valve body solenoids while operating the jacks but I would like to know where on earth the “control box” indicated in the troubleshooting steps is located?

I don't mind calling PG but I would like to be able to say I've followed the published troubleshooting steps to completion before doing so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PGTroubleshooting.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	163273   Click image for larger version

Name:	PGControlBox.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	163274  

Old 05-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
I vaguely remember seeing picture Glen Lever posted about working on that board to level his system. Might be missing it because I think it's mounted horizontally? Look around above the battery control center area maybe.
idoxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoxlr8 View Post
I vaguely remember seeing picture Glen Lever posted about working on that board to level his system. Might be missing it because I think it's mounted horizontally? Look around above the battery control center area maybe.
Found Glenn's very informative thread and posts.

I didn't read "where" it might be found but I went through each bay and FOUND IT in my 2nd bay from the front curbside. Usual AC fashion it was under a cover/moulding.

Fuses aren't user replaceable but they might be "resettable" by momentarily disco'ing the engine batteries? Easy enough to do but at least I can get to all the major components in the system and will slog through this until I get the ram working again.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Good luck, hope that does the trick.
idoxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:00 AM   #7

My 94 motorhome has a PowerGear 3 leg leveling unit. I had an issue with the front jack. Following the troubleshooting manual, it said I needed a new solenoid. After switching the colored leads on the the front solenoid and the rear one, the front worked but the rear did not work. That meant the controller at the dash was faulty not the solenoids or fuses or wiring. After finding a fried transistor in the controller, I made my own operating panel. The system is quite simple as there is single fused 12 volt circuit to all the solenoids as well as float level switch. The colored wires that go to the control unit are all ground wires. Ground out any colored wire and the corresponding solenoid should operate.
Bowserdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowserdoug View Post
My 94 motorhome has a PowerGear 3 leg leveling unit. I had an issue with the front jack. Following the troubleshooting manual, it said I needed a new solenoid. After switching the colored leads on the the front solenoid and the rear one, the front worked but the rear did not work. That meant the controller at the dash was faulty not the solenoids or fuses or wiring. After finding a fried transistor in the controller, I made my own operating panel. The system is quite simple as there is single fused 12 volt circuit to all the solenoids as well as float level switch. The colored wires that go to the control unit are all ground wires. Ground out any colored wire and the corresponding solenoid should operate.
That's great to know how you approached this. Definitely helps a bunch and everything you describe is making perfect sense. Thanks again, will update (might be a while) but I'll be back once I find time to proceed.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:40 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My 96 Bounder had the fuses mounted to the back side of the control panel. They are hard to get, had to modify some others that where close in size. They are circular and perhaps a 1/4 inch round.
Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
What happens (electrically) when the 'retract all' switch is pushed?
Old 06-19-2017, 05:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Bounder1st View Post
My 96 Bounder had the fuses mounted to the back side of the control panel. They are hard to get, had to modify some others that where close in size. They are circular and perhaps a 1/4 inch round.
Terry
Thanks, when I find time to address this problem in more detail I'll definitely give that idea a look.

1st gotta find a helper to operate the dash panel while I probe the relays to learn if it's simply the solenoid not opening to extend the front leg? That seems to be the logical presumption?

No oil leaking or anything that might indicate air getting into the front leg system?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
What happens (electrically) when the 'retract all' switch is pushed?
On mine the 'retract all' button grounds out the three solenoids to the legs as well as the dump valve, opens them up and the big springs force the fluid back to the reservoir. The dump solenoid opens to retract and closes when the pump is engaged to extend the jacks. Hope that helps. Doug
Bowserdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #13

Quote:
On mine the 'retract all' button grounds out the three solenoids to the legs as well as the dump valve, opens them up and the big springs force the fluid back to the reservoir. The dump solenoid opens to retract and closes when the pump is engaged to extend the jacks. Hope that helps. Doug
ON MY 2003 SEA BREEZE with Power Gear Leveler, Power Control is mounted under dash, down by the brake pedal and has a separate 3 amp fuse on it for each rear leg and "one "for the front 2 legs. Hope this helps you or someone else.
peejay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, leveling, power, power gear