Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
Member
 
rickricca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mendocino CA
Posts: 55
2- Speed final drive

Just about finished putting a 2-speed final drive in my 80 Foretravel FTX pusher. I would say I switched rear ends but the rear end of my coach is the motor.

The job was about as entertaining as one might expect. I went from a 5.29 final drive to a 4.88/6.64 which will give me about 4 more MPH (previous top speed about 60 @ 3000 rpm). The low range should give me some splits in 2 and 3, and a pretty good under drive in 4 when I need it. (I have the Allison MT640 trans and Cummins VT555)

I did this same upgrade to my septic pumper last year (CAT 3126, Allison 3060) and was quite happy with the results.

We are getting pretty close to our first trip. (Already did the shakedown when I drove 619 miles from San Diego)
__________________

__________________
rickricca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
GOLDWINGER2's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 1,079
Sounds like a winner. Know of any 2 spds. that will fit a P30 chassis? Or any thing that will fit in the current diff housing?
J
__________________

__________________
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Member
 
rickricca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mendocino CA
Posts: 55
You need to identify who makes your rear axle. Get the manufacturer name and alll the numbers you can find and pm me
__________________
rickricca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
GOLDWINGER2's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 1,079
OK, I'll do that.
Thanks, J
__________________
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hudsoner's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Wisconsin suburbs of the Twin Cities
Posts: 753
Would such a modification make sense with a 2001 F53 chassis? The way I understand it, it would double the available gears. Am I correct in this assumption?
What is the cost of such a modification?
__________________
2001 Hurricane 29D
2015 Kia Sorento
Kymco Motor Scooter
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Member
 
rickricca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mendocino CA
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
Would such a modification make sense with a 2001 F53 chassis? The way I understand it, it would double the available gears. Am I correct in this assumption?
What is the cost of such a modification?
The newer stuff from what I have seen tends to have 5 and 6 speed automatics, most with overdrive, and everything (engine and trans) is computer managed.

don't think it would be worth your time. My 98 Freightliner has a 5 speed overdrive allison and I can only split the 3-4 shift, everything else overlaps.

The 2-speed rear end helped in that application because it's a septic truck and I do a lot of hill climbing, and the 2 speed helped my old Foretravel because I went from 5.29 gears to 4.88 on the high end, and it has a pretty wide space 4 speed Allison. Even though the math works out where I could split shift it, I probably won't, because it's hard to feel things in the drive train with the rear engine some 35 feet behind me. I will either be in one range (6.44) or the other (4.88)
__________________
rickricca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hudsoner's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Wisconsin suburbs of the Twin Cities
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickricca View Post
The newer stuff from what I have seen tends to have 5 and 6 speed automatics, most with overdrive, and everything (engine and trans) is computer managed.

don't think it would be worth your time. My 98 Freightliner has a 5 speed overdrive allison and I can only split the 3-4 shift, everything else overlaps.

The 2-speed rear end helped in that application because it's a septic truck and I do a lot of hill climbing, and the 2 speed helped my old Foretravel because I went from 5.29 gears to 4.88 on the high end, and it has a pretty wide space 4 speed Allison. Even though the math works out where I could split shift it, I probably won't, because it's hard to feel things in the drive train with the rear engine some 35 feet behind me. I will either be in one range (6.44) or the other (4.88)
I have a 4speed, but it makes sense what you say, and might not pay back.
__________________
2001 Hurricane 29D
2015 Kia Sorento
Kymco Motor Scooter
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:36 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
So a 3 speed C6 would benefit?

Cool.. wonder what I have for a rear end...hmm...
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
Member
 
rickricca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mendocino CA
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
So a 3 speed C6 would benefit?

Cool.. wonder what I have for a rear end...hmm...
I would think a C-6 would be pretty ideal.... if you have the right final.
__________________
rickricca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
Member
 
rickricca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mendocino CA
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickricca View Post
I would think a C-6 would be pretty ideal.... if you have the right final.
Of course, for the same amount of headache and money, you could do a gear vendor or us gear two speed and accomplish what you're looking to do
__________________
rickricca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
US Gear Corp has been sold, and the new owner completely scrapped the tooling and old parts. It's gone.
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
Member
 
rickricca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mendocino CA
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
US Gear Corp has been sold, and the new owner completely scrapped the tooling and old parts. It's gone.
typical

Seems like one corporation (LKQ) is buying up all the truck wrecking yards too

The old days are sure gone, aren't they?
__________________

__________________
rickricca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Allison Tranny - 5 speed prsmith Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 7 06-01-2010 09:54 PM
Drive the MH all winter long popsuscdds Class A Motorhome Discussions 1 11-26-2009 12:57 AM
Dolphin replacement bedroom slide drive problem Joe Gilbert National RV Owner's Forum 0 11-13-2009 10:32 AM
6 Speed trans Temp readout on Scangauge gg Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 9 09-03-2009 07:51 PM
Taking off the drive shaft dportem Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 6 06-22-2009 11:08 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.