Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #1

3 legged power gear

I posted on this once before to get some ideas as to what may be the problem with this power gear leveling system on a MH i was looking at to buy. I have since purchased it and have tried some of the suggestions you all gave in my original post, but have not yet found the problem. I have the power gear 3 leg leveling system on my '98 bounder MH. When I turn on the system the green light comes on, but nothing else happens. I can hear a slight click coming from the power assemble when I push the button to extend a leg, but they do not move. The pump motor does not come on. I found that all the wire connections on the power assemble were corroded, so I cleaned them all and replaced the red fuse. Nothing changed. I do have voltage going to all the large wires going into what I believe are some sort of electric valves. This unit has 3 of this valves that are red, and just below these is one black valve. They all have voltage going to them. Is there a way can isolate the motor and test it to see if it is the pump motor that is not working? any other Ideas that I could try? Thanks for your help, Trey

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Power Gear has a great tech support via email. They respond quicker than a phone call. Their address is info@powergearus.com .
Here's a link to all of their technical documents for hydraulic systems. See if yours is there.
http://www.powergearus.com/tech-docs...word=Find+Docs
Good luck
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The following issues are on the suspect list:

Control panel bad (around 250 dollars user replacable simple plug in job)

The control system (I have yeat to find mine) is bad, Cost unknown, how hard it is to replace likewise. As I said I do not even known where it is hiding.

The solenoid on the pump motor is bad (Check using voltmeter procedure follows)

The connections are bad.

Testing: This is a 2 person job (Tester and operator)

Voltmeter, Black (Negative) probe to a good chassis ground, NOT the pump housing or bracket but a different good chassis ground)

Red wire to the big bolt on the solenoid with the wire that runs off somewhere (that somewher being the battery) should see battery voltage If not problem found.

Red lead to the small bolt have operator press button and hold, Within 1 minute you should see battery voltage and hear a click or clunk, if not OUCH This is gonna get expensive if no 12 volt, If no clunk, not so bad, read on. If so go to next step.

Red lead to teh wire that runs from solenoid to pump motor, again when button is pressed and you If you hear the clunk but do not see 12 volt, Solenoid bad, replace

got 12 volts.. Good, move red lead to pump housing (Do not have operator release button) IF you see voltage, Bad ground, NOTE there is a small black wire find it and check it too, again there should be NO voltage if there is, bad ground (I think this is the other side of the solenoid but I'm not looking at it just now)

My control pad went out, I wound up building my own control system, I'm not quite done yet but when I am it's going to be better than the OEM. Gives me much more control.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #4

Thanks for the ideas. I think I have found the problem. I had my daughter press the front raise bottom on the control panel as I checked the small blue wire for voltage. Good news, we have a signal from the control panel to the solenoid. Next I jumped across the solenoid and the pump motor started right up! I noticed that the solenoid looked like it had recently been replaced with a ford type solenoid. I went to the local auto parts store tonight and was told that I needed a continues duty solenoid not a starter solenoid for a hydraulic pump. So I hope this explains why this solenoid didn't last long. I will put the new solenoid on in the morning and I will let you all know if it works. Thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the update. Glad you fixed it.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey, that sounds like the diagnostic procedure I typed out.. Yes, to be honest a starter solenoid SHOULD work there, you do not normally run that pump more than a minute at a time.

But a continous Duty will work better.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Hey, that sounds like the diagnostic procedure I typed out.. Yes, to be honest a starter solenoid SHOULD work there, you do not normally run that pump more than a minute at a time.

But a continous Duty will work better.
Yes, thank you for the help. I installed the new solenoid today and managed to get the whole system working after correcting a couple other problems. The fluid level was low and caused the "jack down" light to stay on. I also had one of the wire connections brake off in the leg valves. But after taking care of that, it works. One thing I noticed, when I push the left rear jack button the right leg comes down. I wouldn't think that this is correct. Do any of you know? I will e-mail power gear tomorrow and ask if it is wired wrong. By the way, Power Gear does have great internet support.

Tags
power