Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

34' 1985 Pace Arrow towed by a Half Ton!

I bought this 34' 1985 Pace Arrow a few weeks ago. It was about 230 miles from my home where I needed it be stationary for a place to rest, eat and sleep while I was working on my new home thats 12 miles from my apartment. I bought it not caring about the motor being possibly shot and was willing to get it towed back but with the info I was given by the seller "who wasnt mechanically inclined at all" I was going to see if I could get away with changing the heads and gaskets out on the original 454 bbc and drive it back. So with 3 days left to remove it from the rv mechanics property where it had been taken months ago, I packed up all the right tools for the job along with a Heavy duty tow bar to take my 95 yukon back. When I get out there I start getting it ready to diagnose when the Farmer / Diesel repair guy comes out and ask what Im doing. I told him and thats when he told me "ENGINE KNOCK".... WoW wasted 8 hour round trip right? Had I heard that in the beginning I would have came a day later prepared for a proper tow with a buddy to help. So I start looking for other options and then I see it.. maybe the rv can be towed with my reese T-bar. I used one existing hole on each side of the frame and had to drill 2 more to complete the mount. Now that plan A and B flopped, Plan C was to get it off this guys property and store it at least 20 miles to the next biggest town. I say a quick prayer to the transmission gods since I personally rebuilt my 4L60E tranny in my GMC Yukon about 700 miles ago and was about to find out if I did it right! I take off slowly and watch all the gauges carefully. I chose back routes and dirt rodes on my GPS, never going over 35mph... handled better then I could have hoped for. So I plotted a course for home using service and back rodes the whole way at turtle speed. After a 2 hour power nap I pulled in home 10 hrs later from when I picked it up from Iowa. Come to find out my buddies started a pool on how many miles I would make it before my engine or tranny blew out... Now everyone of them wants me to to rebuild their next powertrain ha ha.

Disclaimer here! I told myself if traffic got bad at all I wouldnt have taken any risk of my life and especially the lives of other traffic. The RV would have sat parked till a flat bed came for it if necessary. But with very little contact i had on dirt roads and off main highways I still always gave other traffic the right of way and waited till everyone was gone before I would move again at the recommended speed of 35mph by Iowa and SD HWY dept. I dont recommend this for anyone and actually advise against it. Check with your local and state laws before attempting something like this. Its alot of weight behind you and have no doubt that it can be lethal to you or others if control is lost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	071512100332.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	24157  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
That is one tough truck, good job getting it home and pulling all that weight once you got it moving it like a train to stop it good job and great story!!!!

Old 07-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #3

I once had a fuel supply problem with a 37 ft Dolphin. Found a garage a couple miles from where it left me stranded that could work on it, but no tow truck for miles. Called DW at home, told her to throw the tow bar in the pickup (1/2 ton Chev). Hooked the pickup behind the RV. Th mechanic steered the RV and I drove the pickup. It was a piece of cake. No steering for me, just a lot of throttle.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #4

I wish I didn't read this. That's exactly my rv , lol
Old 07-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #5

Attaboy

Great job Hillking way to go. I thought I was the only one who would try something like that and get away with it. Glad it all worked out OK.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to blacktruck
Arrow Gotta love a GM truck..

Great story and some quick thinking going on there. I've hauled a lot more at different times than the laws and sometimes prudent behavior said I should but I have never attempted anything so backward looking as that. Interesting story to be sure. I am surprised that you didn't get stopped somewhere for doing that but what the heck? We've probably all done crazier things at times.
Sometimes you just gotta grab a handful of throttle and go for it.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #7

Lol gotta love the mother of invention! (Necessity) the disclaimer is important to re-iterate though. This could be very very dangerous for someone less careful than the o.p. or who will be navigating through hilly areas. Its a question of stopping power rather than pulling power... a little bit too fast or too steep and Isaac Newton takes control.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to blacktruck
Arrow Too bad we need the disclaimer........

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale5of7 View Post
Lol gotta love the mother of invention! (Necessity) the disclaimer is important to re-iterate though. This could be very very dangerous for someone less careful than the o.p. or who will be navigating through hilly areas. Its a question of stopping power rather than pulling power... a little bit too fast or too steep and Isaac Newton takes control.
Good point you make. Not all should attempt this for sure. Still interesting. I would bet it did turn a few heads out there as he motored by, albeit sort of slowly. Personally as far as the disclaimer goes, I'm for removing all of the safety signs,warnings and disclaimers and then letting the problem sort itself out over time.
Just a thought, not saying it's a good idea but it does seem we are a bit over the top with those....back to the story....Heck of a story....
Old 08-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm surprised the "self-proclaimed" safety police haven't jumped in yet. But then again this is early in the life of this post.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #10

I miss my old Tahoe. I once pulled a 19' mako behind, a 14' sailboat on the roof and the insides packed solid. I kept jumping every time I looked in the rearview because I forgot the boat was back there! And man was it close!
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbhein View Post
I once had a fuel supply problem with a 37 ft Dolphin. Found a garage a couple miles from where it left me stranded that could work on it, but no tow truck for miles. Called DW at home, told her to throw the tow bar in the pickup (1/2 ton Chev). Hooked the pickup behind the RV. Th mechanic steered the RV and I drove the pickup. It was a piece of cake. No steering for me, just a lot of throttle.
Similar story,
My GF's son bought an old F100 to get the motor for his mud truck. We were taking it to where the motor was going to be pulled, towing a Suzuki samurai with a tow bar to be able to go back home in. Fuel problems caused me to have to start the samurai and push the F100 about a 1/2 mile to get it to where I could get it running again to finish the trip!
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #12

Blue and Red Lights equals Thumbs up!!

Im glad everyone is enjoying my towing adventure and I think I can answer some good guesses about the law enforcement I encountered on the road home. I seen flashing red and blues behind me 3 times and I figured everytime .. ok Im stopped and the officer is gonna put me in a straight jacket instead of hand cuffs. So I pulled over evertime and 2 out of the 3 times I got a thumbs up from the officers as they passed me and third was kinda just a wave (maybe a Mopar man? ). I think my note in the rear window of the rv helped out some.. "This RV will pull over as soon as possible when the driver notices traffic behind it. 35 mph max Thank you"