Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:43 PM   #1

454 Carburetor question

We have an '89 Southwind with a Chevy 454 with Rochester Quadrajet.

I put a rebuilt carb on it about a month ago and it fired up with no issues. Probably run it for an hour or so since.

Today, I hopped in to move the beast, and it wouldn't start. There is gas getting to the carb (took the fuel line off and gas flows with the key on), and the filter in the carb was new (removed it anyhow just to check) but nothing getting to the throat.

It will catch with starting fluid.

Any ideas what I should do next (other than returning the rebuilt carb)?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #2

89?? not a t.b.i. ? anyway sounds like a bad accelerator pump.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledwest View Post
89?? not a t.b.i. ? anyway sounds like a bad accelerator pump.
No, not TBI. Accelerator pump is the gizmo that sprays when you pump the throttle?
Old 05-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #4

Improperly installed needle and seat, float binding on float bowl sides. A few possibilities.
Do not take carb apart without first contacting the supplier of the re-built or place of purchase.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
It needs rebuilt again only for peace of mind.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:04 PM   #6

Thank you- not all that interested in taking the carb apart.

I'll contact the seller in the morning, but I was hoping someone would tell me "tap three times on the right hand side, cross your eyes and count to 6." and all would be well.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #7

Check choke to see if closing off while cold and opening up correctly when started. An electric/manual choke can give lots of problems if not adjusted properly.

When gas has sat for periods of time, it will get weak. Gets even weaker and diluted even more with high humidity and condensation, so it requires something to help keep gas dried out if not using or replenishing with new fuel frenquently. I would use a fuel drier---Heet, fuel additive, Sta-Bil(storage), something to add to fuel before filling up to keep from degrading over time.

As one member mentioned, check also the accelerator pump to see if it's squirting well into the throat of carb(if not a FI or TBI).
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Thank you- not all that interested in taking the carb apart.

I'll contact the seller in the morning, but I was hoping someone would tell me "tap three times on the right hand side, cross your eyes and count to 6." and all would be well.
That might work , BUT, if the tap marks are visible the rebuilder might not take it back .
Old 05-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #9

Check choke to see if closing off while cold and opening up correctly when started. An electric/manual choke can give lots of problems if not adjusted properly.

When gas has sat for periods of time, it will get weak. Gets even weaker and diluted even more with high humidity and condensation, so it requires something to help keep gas dried out if not using or replenishing with new fuel frenquently. I would use a fuel drier---Heet, fuel additive, Sta-Bil(storage), something to add to fuel before filling up to keep from degrading over time.

As one member mentioned, check also the accelerator pump to see if it's squirting well into the throat of carb(if not a FI or TBI).

The gas in the MH has stabilizer in it, plus I've been running it off and on all month since I installed this carb. No issues until today.

The accelerator pump is NOT squirting any gas into the throat, but would it do so if the float is stuck shut?
Old 05-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quadrajets are known to be not too good for rebuilds, they are just not as reliable after rebuild, unless the guy it top notch and really knows what he is doing. As others have said, I would contact the re-builder and see what he has to say. Also make sure that the fuel pump didn't fail, or a suction line didn't crack and the pump is sucking air.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #11

It sounds like you got a carb from a parts house, if you did its best to take it back and get a replacement. these carbs are not rocket science but there are a few tricks to rebuilding them. Most of the mechanics today look at them like my son does a tv with a channel knob on it and say what is that?? lol. best of luck!!
Old 05-17-2015, 05:45 PM   #12

I got the carb from Guaranteed Carburetors online; neighbor recommended. And I did that because there was nobody local.

As far as the fuel pump, I can hear it running and gas is flowing pretty readily with the key on, NO gas is getting into the carb, including when pumping the accelerator.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Then I would suggest contacting Guaranteed Carburetors and tell them the problem and see what they have to say about it.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:02 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sounds like a stuck needle and float... The needle and float is located on the front in the fuel bowl... With it off try tapping the bowl with the back of a screw driver...the older carbs do not like ethanol fuel..

Tags