Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #1

I am in need of an air cleaner for a carburated 454. I have a 1984 holiday rambler, imperial model. My stepdad had a banks powers system installed and it uses some type of turbo that pushes air back into the carb. The problem is that we purchased the RV used and it only came with a basic chrome open air cleaner. I need the original air cover and scoop to direct the turbo air into the carb. Can someone please direct me somewhere I can obtain a new or used air cleaner and scoop. Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #2

I am in need of an air cleaner for a carburated 454. I have a 1984 holiday rambler, imperial model. My stepdad had a banks powers system installed and it uses some type of turbo that pushes air back into the carb. The problem is that we purchased the RV used and it only came with a basic chrome open air cleaner. I need the original air cover and scoop to direct the turbo air into the carb. Can someone please direct me somewhere I can obtain a new or used air cleaner and scoop. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:50 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The original air cleaner has a carbon flame arrester and holds a 6 inch filter which is going to be very hard to find.
Some "80s Chebby" blazers had them sooooo you might get lucky at some local salvage yards in your area.
If you luck out and find one off of a blazer OR motor home get the rubber hose that connects to the air cleaner snout and run it into the cool air for a decent increase in power.

Jim
Old 07-30-2007, 08:50 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim_Elliott:
The original air cleaner has a carbon flame arrester and holds a 6 inch filter which is going to be very hard to find.
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My 84 came with a flame arrestor that was steel mesh, rather than carbon. Like a big Davy lamp.

The original filter element was 5 1/2 inches tall. I kept the base, removed the Davy arrestor, replaced the element with a 3 1/3 tall AC A477C and a top from a pickup to gain a lower and flatter doghouse roof so my dog can sleep out of the way. Manometer checks indicate no restriction from the shorter element. Theoretically, it would clog sooner, but we all change our filters too often, anyway, don't we? Unless we use a filter minder.

So, you might check 454 pickup air filters in junkyards. Some of them used the same base as the P30 with the 3 1/2 element and matching top.

84 Barth 30 tag powered by ht502/Thorley
bill h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bill, I have plenty of the 3" air cleaners laying around here but the laws are pretty strict on "flame proof" (mesh/charcoal) flame barrier's.

I know they will work fine but IF a fire starts at the carb and spreads WE are financially libel for using the wrong factory equipment if caught.............Bummer

Jim
Old 07-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Plaseroo7 have you check the links to salvage yards in the topic above RV Manuals, you may find what your looking for.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:18 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim_Elliott:
Bill, I have plenty of the 3" air cleaners laying around here but the laws are pretty strict on "flame proof" (mesh/charcoal) flame barrier's.

I know they will work fine but IF a fire starts at the carb and spreads WE are financially libel for using the wrong factory equipment if caught.............Bummer

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

K&N claim that their filters are approved as flame arrestors. Or use a USCG approved flame arrestor element inside the housing. I keep another little one around to use when I am playing with the main air cleaner off. One intake fire can ruin your eyebrows and your whole day.

84 Barth 30 tag powered by ht502/Thorley
bill h is offline   Reply With Quote